• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I just got back yesterday from my POE trip to Honolulu. I know most people have already done it, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth for anyone still to activate.

Coming down the escalator into the immigration area, there was a guy directing US residents and citizens one way and visitors the other. I held up my yellow envelope and he knew exactly what I was there for. He called out, 'Jenny, new immigrant!' and immediately a lady named Jenny came over and directed me to the new immigrant area. After 10 minutes a customs officer came and introduced himself and took my paperwork, I waited another 15 minutes until he returned and asked me to follow him to his little booth. He took fingerprints and asked me a few questions (do I have any health conditions, how do I know the person listed as my US address etc). He seemed to be taking ages and after about 40 minutes said he needed his supervisor. I was freaking out thinking something was wrong but his boss came over and explained the customs officer was new and hadn't processed a Diversity Visa before. The boss only took 90 seconds on the computer before my passport was stamped and he gave me the form about changing address if I move. Then he shook my hand and said, 'congratulations, welcome to America'...I asked if that was it and he said, 'that's it buddy - you're one of us now!' Most exciting moment of my life!!

Now my only problem is...Honolulu! I've been to America about 15 times and was pretty settled on moving to Denver, as I know some people there. This was my first time in Honolulu and - wow!! In several ways it reminded me of where I grew up (Cairns) but with the benefits of being a big city. I felt at home there from the first minute. So it looks like I have some decisions to make over the next few months (but deciding between Colorado and Hawaii isn't the worst decision in the world!). I'm lucky in that I'm still young-ish (late 20s) and single with no kids, so I have the freedom to try both if I really can't decide.

So that's it, I'm a LPR! My friend in Colorado emailed last night to say she's received mail for me, which I assume is my green card or SSN. Now it's all about saving, saving, saving for the big move (please stop dropping, Aussie dollar...). Am jealous of you all that have already moved, I can't wait to be living there :)

PS: Sorry this post is the length of War and Peace!!
I just got back yesterday from my POE trip to Honolulu. I know most people have already done it, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth for anyone still to activate.

Coming down the escalator into the immigration area, there was a guy directing US residents and citizens one way and visitors the other. I held up my yellow envelope and he knew exactly what I was there for. He called out, 'Jenny, new immigrant!' and immediately a lady named Jenny came over and directed me to the new immigrant area. After 10 minutes a customs officer came and introduced himself and took my paperwork, I waited another 15 minutes until he returned and asked me to follow him to his little booth. He took fingerprints and asked me a few questions (do I have any health conditions, how do I know the person listed as my US address etc). He seemed to be taking ages and after about 40 minutes said he needed his supervisor. I was freaking out thinking something was wrong but his boss came over and explained the customs officer was new and hadn't processed a Diversity Visa before. The boss only took 90 seconds on the computer before my passport was stamped and he gave me the form about changing address if I move. Then he shook my hand and said, 'congratulations, welcome to America'...I asked if that was it and he said, 'that's it buddy - you're one of us now!' Most exciting moment of my life!!

Now my only problem is...Honolulu! I've been to America about 15 times and was pretty settled on moving to Denver, as I know some people there. This was my first time in Honolulu and - wow!! In several ways it reminded me of where I grew up (Cairns) but with the benefits of being a big city. I felt at home there from the first minute. So it looks like I have some decisions to make over the next few months (but deciding between Colorado and Hawaii isn't the worst decision in the world!). I'm lucky in that I'm still young-ish (late 20s) and single with no kids, so I have the freedom to try both if I really can't decide.

So that's it, I'm a LPR! My friend in Colorado emailed last night to say she's received mail for me, which I assume is my green card or SSN. Now it's all about saving, saving, saving for the big move (please stop dropping, Aussie dollar...). Am jealous of you all that have already moved, I can't wait to be living there :)

Thats so exciting! My activation trip is to Hawaii next Friday and I cant wait!!

Thats fantastic! Im off to Hawaii for my activation trip next week then moving mid next year.

What did you write on your landing cards both on arrival then back to OZ?

Hi all. Im off to Hawaii next week for my activation trip! Very excited!

Quick question which I know has been asked several times before but Have just scrolled through 50 pages and cant find the answer!! Quicker to ask one of you lovely people!

On an activation trip what are peopke putting on their landing card into USA and then back into AUS?

Do I just do visiting for now then perm resident when I make the move next year?

Thanks so much xx

@lisaD: I just put that I was going on a nine day holiday on the Australian outgoing passenger card. On arrival into the US, you have to put the value of goods you're leaving there with different boxes to tick if you're a visitor or resident. I left it blank with the intention of asking a customs officer which box to fill out, but ended up forgetting (because I was literally physically restraining myself from doing cartwheels around the baggage hall at that stage lol) - no one ever said anything. Upon landing back in Australia, I also ticked that I'd just been on a nine day holiday. I did however tick the box saying I don't intend to live in Australia for the next 12 months.

Ohh! I forgot to mention - the yellow envelope! I guess an advantage of being processed by a new customs officer is that when he opened it, he flicked through everything a thousand times to make sure he got it right - meaning I saw what was in there. It's really nothing too exciting - the medical report and copies of my identity documents, police check and high school certificate. There was no copy if my DS-260, but I assume he was accessing that on his computer.

I hope both LisaD and guestgulkan you both have wonderful trips to Hawaii!! It's such a fantastic place. If you're like me and love to surf, or bodysurf, get ready for the time of your life :) Today was my first day back at work after my trip and I've already changed my desktop screensaver to a picture of Lanikai Beach on Oahu...I smile everytime I look at it, so I think subconsciously my decision about where to move has already been made!!

@lisaD: I just put that I was going on a nine day holiday on the Australian outgoing passenger card. On arrival into the US, you have to put the value of goods you're leaving there with different boxes to tick if you're a visitor or resident. I left it blank with the intention of asking a customs officer which box to fill out, but ended up forgetting (because I was literally physically restraining myself from doing cartwheels around the baggage hall at that stage lol) - no one ever said anything. Upon landing back in Australia, I also ticked that I'd just been on a nine day holiday. I did however tick the box saying I don't intend to live in Australia for the next 12 months.

Ohh! I forgot to mention - the yellow envelope! I guess an advantage of being processed by a new customs officer is that when he opened it, he flicked through everything a thousand times to make sure he got it right - meaning I saw what was in there. It's really nothing too exciting - the medical report and copies of my identity documents, police check and high school certificate. There was no copy if my DS-260, but I assume he was accessing that on his computer.

I hope both LisaD and guestgulkan you both have wonderful trips to Hawaii!! It's such a fantastic place. If you're like me and love to surf, or bodysurf, get ready for the time of your life :) Today was my first day back at work after my trip and I've already changed my desktop screensaver to a picture of Lanikai Beach on Oahu...I smile everytime I look at it, so I think subconsciously my decision about where to move has already been made!!

Awesome thanks so much!

Did you drive while u were there?

Long story short. We were able to get approved for Secured CCs during the activation trip and without SSN. Everything worked well, except - when I tried to update with Wells Fargo my SSN to be reported along to the credit bureaus, they had no online process and sent me mail to the US address. We are back in Oz... so for the time being we won't be able to update our SSNs :(
Is the missing SSN critical for the credit reports? - Will I be able to correct this easily later with the credit agencies?

Long story short. We were able to get approved for Secured CCs during the activation trip and without SSN. Everything worked well, except - when I tried to update with Wells Fargo my SSN to be reported along to the credit bureaus, they had no online process and sent me mail to the US address. We are back in Oz... so for the time being we won't be able to update our SSNs :(
Is the missing SSN critical for the credit reports? - Will I be able to correct this easily later with the credit agencies?

Yes, try and get the SSN on the file. The SSN is how the information connects...

We are ready to make the big move on 1/7/16. Packing frenzy on the moment.
I did have a random question tho. We did our activation trip in August , this time when we do land do we stand in the citizens/resident que or the visitor que ?

We are ready to make the big move on 1/7/16. Packing frenzy on the moment.
I did have a random question tho. We did our activation trip in August , this time when we do land do we stand in the citizens/resident que or the visitor que ?

Citizen/residents :)

Hi all. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas & New Year!

Just wanted to check in and share my activation experience. Not very exciting as it is pretty much the same and as easy as everyone else’s was!

So I activated in Hawaii! I got off the plane, had my yellow envelope in hand. Was heading towards one of the queues at customs and a security guard looks at me and says “you must be Lisa, we have been expecting you”

So clearly they knew I was on my way and were ready and waiting! Was so funny.

They ushered me straight through to a lovely man who basically took all my docs stamped my passport, gave me some flyers on tax returns etc and said Welcome to the USA.

That’s it! Very exciting!

Hawaii was amazing, absolutely loved it, and being a wedding photographer I am now considering moving back there!

I am now back in Melbourne until August when I will make the permanent move! Firstly heading to San Diego as that is where the green card will be sent. Then most likely back to Hawaii for a while!

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the status of your green card to see if it has been sent etc.? I found a website but it was asking me for a receipt number of 3 letters & 10 numbers which I can’t seem to find? Not sure if I was on the correct site or not?

Just wanted to check in and share my activation experience. Not very exciting as it is pretty much the same and as easy as everyone else’s was!

So I activated in Hawaii! I got off the plane, had my yellow envelope in hand. Was heading towards one of the queues at customs and a security guard looks at me and says “you must be Lisa, we have been expecting you”

They ushered me straight through to a lovely man who basically took all my docs stamped my passport, gave me some flyers on tax returns etc and said Welcome to the USA.

All these Hawaii stories are great because that's where I'm activating before heading east. I guess everyone is booking that cheap Jetstar flight to Honolulu right?

I activated in Hawaii in early Dec, it took me about 90 minutes to get through immigration. There were about 7 families in front of us, and only one person working.

Like others here, I fell in love with Hawaii. Trying to work out a way to get back there permanently.

Incidentally, my social security card arrived at my sister's in only four days (!).

Hi all!

I hope you all had excellent breaks over Christmas and New Years.

I'm heading to SF to activate in Feb (and to have a holiday!) and I just wanted to ask about the SSN and the green card delivery and about credit ratings, as per usual, I'm sure this has been answered but I wasn't able to find a definitive post on it. So I have a friend in upstate NY who i'll be sending my green card to and I'm just wanting to know if my SSN will be sent at the same time or as a separate letter?

Also will applying for a credit card in the states use your current credit rating in Australia or is it a clean slate? I just don't think I have a credit rating at all as I've never had a credit card and I'd prefer not to have one... I don't trust myself! Is it the only option?

Also if anyone has any tips for travelling in Northern Cali i'm all ears. At this point I'm pretty keen to head to Yosemite but I'm all ears for other tips and tricks people might have.

Cheers!

Hi all. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas & New Year!

That’s it! Very exciting!

Hawaii was amazing, absolutely loved it, and being a wedding photographer I am now considering moving back there!

I am now back in Melbourne until August when I will make the permanent move! Firstly heading to San Diego as that is where the green card will be sent. Then most likely back to Hawaii for a while!

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the status of your green card to see if it has been sent etc.? I found a website but it was asking me for a receipt number of 3 letters & 10 numbers which I can’t seem to find? Not sure if I was on the correct site or not?

Hey @Lisa D congrats on activating so successfully. I think this may be a stupid question but how did they know it was you at the airport?... do I need to notify someone or do they just have everyone's flight details?

Hey @Lisa D congrats on activating so successfully. I think this may be a stupid question but how did they know it was you at the airport?... do I need to notify someone or do they just have everyone's flight details?

When you fly to the US you need to fill your details on the airline website. I'm guessing they'd matched her up with an issued immigrant visa, and it clearly wasn't a busy day... This situation is unlikely to happen at SFO (which was our port of entry by the way - and depending on the time of day you arrive there may be a dedicated "new immigrants" line open).

I'm heading to SF to activate in Feb (and to have a holiday!) and I just wanted to ask about the SSN and the green card delivery and about credit ratings, as per usual, I'm sure this has been answered but I wasn't able to find a definitive post on it. So I have a friend in upstate NY who i'll be sending my green card to and I'm just wanting to know if my SSN will be sent at the same time or as a separate letter?

Also will applying for a credit card in the states use your current credit rating in Australia or is it a clean slate? I just don't think I have a credit rating at all as I've never had a credit card and I'd prefer not to have one... I don't trust myself! Is it the only option?

Hey Arry. Looks like we'll be in SFO around the same time.

SSN and Greencard are sent separately.

You need a good credit rating in the USA. They sometimes use it for checking tenant applications, buying a phone on a plan, job applications, everything..

There are other credit options such as store cards (eg Macy's card) but your application would probably be rejected since you have no credit history. If you don't trust yourself, get a $500 credit card and "sock drawer" it. Use it occasionally to buy a pack of gum.

I activated in Hawaii in early Dec, it took me about 90 minutes to get through immigration. There were about 7 families in front of us, and only one person working.

Like others here, I fell in love with Hawaii. Trying to work out a way to get back there permanently.

I see Jetstar have some cheap Hawaii deals on now. Feeling disappointed in myself because I could have bought my tickets $300 cheaper.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/229902

Hi all,
I arrived in Houston on 1/7/16 . Settling in well , started work today. Loving every moment of it.
I did have query tho, over the last two days I have had a very lucrative job offer come through in Oz ( when it rains it pours!!) .
I wanted to ask if I was to take it up would I risk losing my green card even if I file taxes each year? It is for a substantial amount of time. 3 years at this stage .