• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

We have a secured credit card with Wells Fargo and have been buying a book from Amazon every month with the card and then paying it off right away, as I read in a blog Britsimon wrote over a year ago this is what helps build a good credit but neither myself nor hubby is showing on credit Karma when we put our details in???

We have a secured credit card with Wells Fargo and have been buying a book from Amazon every month with the card and then paying it off right away, as I read in a blog Britsimon wrote over a year ago this is what helps build a good credit but neither myself nor hubby is showing on credit Karma when we put our details in???

How long have you been doing this for? It took me about 6 months to show a credit record on there.

WF typically report credit cards. So as Susie says, it might take time. I assume you show as living at an address here. Let the credit card bill get to the month end before paying it. Just be aware that the amazon book trick isn't really going to build you flawless credit - it just helps along with other things - and hopefully establishes the earliest account date a bit sooner.

Reactions: CC1
How long have you been doing this for? It took me about 6 months to show a credit record on there.
About a year, seems really odd, the message says your information does not match our records, where do they get their " record information from"?

WF typically report credit cards. So as Susie says, it might take time. I assume you show as living at an address here. Let the credit card bill get to the month end before paying it. Just be aware that the amazon book trick isn't really going to build you flawless credit - it just helps along with other things - and hopefully establishes the earliest account date a bit sooner.
Yes our address is in California at our relatives place who also has the same first and last name as my husband, his wife did have her identity stolen during the year but since I thought they based your credit fiord off your SSN I wouldn't have thought that was connected but the message saying your information doesn't match our records is very concerning, just not sure who to contact from here??

Yes our address is in California at our relatives place who also has the same first and last name as my husband, his wife did have her identity stolen during the year but since I thought they based your credit fiord off your SSN I wouldn't have thought that was connected but the message saying your information doesn't match our records is very concerning, just not sure who to contact from here??
Did you get the cards while no SSN yet and later updated it?

I think you are thinking/worrying about this too much. CreditKarma is simply a site that accesses information and provides it. They aren't the only source (in fact they aren't even a "source" at all). Credit takes a while to establish - even with something like a secured card. There isn't a magic bullet that will work for everyone. So - nothing bad happened.

As for CC - read some of their FAQs like this one....

https://help.creditkarma.com/hc/en-...lete-Step-3-of-registration-What-should-I-do-

Maybe you are entering some of your details wrong. It's important in the usa you keep a list of all your old addresses, just for websites like this. Should be easy for you after the DS260.

You could try https://www.annualcreditreport.com . You can get your credit report free once a year as required by federal law.

Hey guys, is there a way we can track where our SSN is up to? Sorry if there's already a thread on this... How long did everyone's take? And do they send it to the address where our green card is going?

Hey guys, is there a way we can track where our SSN is up to? Sorry if there's already a thread on this... How long did everyone's take? And do they send it to the address where our green card is going?

There's no way to track the SSN production. You either receive it or you don't. Yes, it gets sent to the same address as the GC, as that will be the address they have on record for you.

If you haven't received it within two to three week's of arrival in the US, then you definitely need to visit the nearest SSA office and put in an application in person.

There's no way to track the SSN production. You either receive it or you don't. Yes, it gets sent to the same address as the GC, as that will be the address they have on record for you.

If you haven't received it within two to three week's of arrival in the US, then you definitely need to visit the nearest SSA office and put in an application in person.

Thank you!!!

Also, just thought I'd let people know, we made our move on 12th Nov, and came through without a hitch. Didn't get questioned at all. I hope everyone else has a similar experience, and good luck to those about to do it! x

Also, just thought I'd let people know, we made our move on 12th Nov, and came through without a hitch. Didn't get questioned at all. I hope everyone else has a similar experience, and good luck to those about to do it! x

Congrats! Which state did you move to? I can't wait to get there! We are still waiting for green cards to be mailed! Hope they arrive soon. It's been 3 months or more. Can I ask also, how you have found a rental home? Is it straight forward? Good luck with everything :)

Congrats! Which state did you move to? I can't wait to get there! We are still waiting for green cards to be mailed! Hope they arrive soon. It's been 3 months or more. Can I ask also, how you have found a rental home? Is it straight forward? Good luck with everything :)

We're traveling around a bit first, but we'll be settling in California. We have a friend who we've rented a place with in LA, so he did most of the ground work. None of us have a credit rating yet, so we had to pay double the deposit, of which they'll give us half back after the first year. Where are you settling? Good luck with it all!!

We're traveling around a bit first, but we'll be settling in California. We have a friend who we've rented a place with in LA, so he did most of the ground work. None of us have a credit rating yet, so we had to pay double the deposit, of which they'll give us half back after the first year. Where are you settling? Good luck with it all!!

So exciting!
We are also going to travel around. We thought of so many places to live and not 100% sure yet, but we will probably end up in California somewhere. If you know any info about who your friend rented through, it would be really helpful if you could let me know the link :)
Double deposit sounds fair, I thought you would have to pay so many months in advance. Can be quite expensive to set up without a credit rating.
Thanks heaps and good luck with the move.

Yeppee, how long were you out of the USA for after activating, we are going to be scraping in just under a year by a few days so hoping not to get too many questions, the house is on the market at what seems to be quite a good time for selling on the Gold Coast so hoping for a quick sale one big garage sale and we are off:)

I just got back yesterday from my POE trip to Honolulu. I know most people have already done it, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth for anyone still to activate.

Coming down the escalator into the immigration area, there was a guy directing US residents and citizens one way and visitors the other. I held up my yellow envelope and he knew exactly what I was there for. He called out, 'Jenny, new immigrant!' and immediately a lady named Jenny came over and directed me to the new immigrant area. After 10 minutes a customs officer came and introduced himself and took my paperwork, I waited another 15 minutes until he returned and asked me to follow him to his little booth. He took fingerprints and asked me a few questions (do I have any health conditions, how do I know the person listed as my US address etc). He seemed to be taking ages and after about 40 minutes said he needed his supervisor. I was freaking out thinking something was wrong but his boss came over and explained the customs officer was new and hadn't processed a Diversity Visa before. The boss only took 90 seconds on the computer before my passport was stamped and he gave me the form about changing address if I move. Then he shook my hand and said, 'congratulations, welcome to America'...I asked if that was it and he said, 'that's it buddy - you're one of us now!' Most exciting moment of my life!!

Now my only problem is...Honolulu! I've been to America about 15 times and was pretty settled on moving to Denver, as I know some people there. This was my first time in Honolulu and - wow!! In several ways it reminded me of where I grew up (Cairns) but with the benefits of being a big city. I felt at home there from the first minute. So it looks like I have some decisions to make over the next few months (but deciding between Colorado and Hawaii isn't the worst decision in the world!). I'm lucky in that I'm still young-ish (late 20s) and single with no kids, so I have the freedom to try both if I really can't decide.

So that's it, I'm a LPR! My friend in Colorado emailed last night to say she's received mail for me, which I assume is my green card or SSN. Now it's all about saving, saving, saving for the big move (please stop dropping, Aussie dollar...). Am jealous of you all that have already moved, I can't wait to be living there :)

PS: Sorry this post is the length of War and Peace!!

I just got back yesterday from my POE trip to Honolulu. I know most people have already done it, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth for anyone still to activate.

Coming down the escalator into the immigration area, there was a guy directing US residents and citizens one way and visitors the other. I held up my yellow envelope and he knew exactly what I was there for. He called out, 'Jenny, new immigrant!' and immediately a lady named Jenny came over and directed me to the new immigrant area. After 10 minutes a customs officer came and introduced himself and took my paperwork, I waited another 15 minutes until he returned and asked me to follow him to his little booth. He took fingerprints and asked me a few questions (do I have any health conditions, how do I know the person listed as my US address etc). He seemed to be taking ages and after about 40 minutes said he needed his supervisor. I was freaking out thinking something was wrong but his boss came over and explained the customs officer was new and hadn't processed a Diversity Visa before. The boss only took 90 seconds on the computer before my passport was stamped and he gave me the form about changing address if I move. Then he shook my hand and said, 'congratulations, welcome to America'...I asked if that was it and he said, 'that's it buddy - you're one of us now!' Most exciting moment of my life!!

Now my only problem is...Honolulu! I've been to America about 15 times and was pretty settled on moving to Denver, as I know some people there. This was my first time in Honolulu and - wow!! In several ways it reminded me of where I grew up (Cairns) but with the benefits of being a big city. I felt at home there from the first minute. So it looks like I have some decisions to make over the next few months (but deciding between Colorado and Hawaii isn't the worst decision in the world!). I'm lucky in that I'm still young-ish (late 20s) and single with no kids, so I have the freedom to try both if I really can't decide.

So that's it, I'm a LPR! My friend in Colorado emailed last night to say she's received mail for me, which I assume is my green card or SSN. Now it's all about saving, saving, saving for the big move (please stop dropping, Aussie dollar...). Am jealous of you all that have already moved, I can't wait to be living there :)

PS: Sorry this post is the length of War and Peace!!

Love it ... "you're one of us now!"

I'd throw in my two cents worth for anyone still to activate.

This is a super useful review. I'll be activating in Hawaii so I'll make sure to hold up my folder :)