• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Yeah I agree no way am I getting fingerpints for another $100, just seems silly to get them as nowhere on the dvseletcee site does it say you require a fingerprint check.

OC6X

Hey guys, just letting you know that I got my interview date scheduled for 28 Oct in the morning, pretty stoked. Does anyone know how long before I should get the medical done? I want to have as much time after the interview before I need to head ot the states and I heard that goes from the date you get the medical done?

Fees are definitely paid at the consulate.
Im pretty sure they told me the medical has an expiration date on it and needs to be current for when you travel.
I would call your local medical provider (as in the one in the lottery instructions) and ask them when they can take you for an appointment.
In BNE they can fit you in according to your interview date. ie the week before.
Guees in a way it depends on when you want to head off shore.

Toni, thinking about it, you might even want to call KCC and ask if they can switch you to Sydney.....

I've contacted a Doctor in Auckland and they allow 3 working days to complete the visa medical, so will get them done on the Monday morning and have the interview on the Thursday morning. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get our passports back. I was thinking about a week, which would be ok as we plan to spend extra time to say goodbye to family and friends. We're both getting a little excited now :)

Hi tonis,
I had my passport and visa returned from AKL the next day! This was for a different visa and it was in 2002.
Also, had a visitor visa returned from SYD in under a week.
It seems as though they process them pretty quick. If you allow a working week I think you will be safe. For SYD we have to take an express post return envelope. Im guessing they are still asking the same in NZ. An easy one to overlook so dont forget peeps!
Good luck!

Fees are definitely paid at the consulate.
Im pretty sure they told me the medical has an expiration date on it and needs to be current for when you travel.
I would call your local medical provider (as in the one in the lottery instructions) and ask them when they can take you for an appointment.
In BNE they can fit you in according to your interview date. ie the week before.
Guees in a way it depends on when you want to head off shore.

So fees are paid at the conusalte at the time of the interveiw?

So fees are paid at the conusalte at the time of the interveiw?

The visa fees.... yes!
Medical is paid to the Dr at the appointment just like your usual Dr appointment.

Just want to clarify here.
My understanding is there are TWO fees that get paid to the US. One is paid at the time of your interview and Two is paid before you leave. I may be wrong but thats how I read it.
Ill do some more reading.............

USCIS Immigrant Fee - You must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you receive your immigrant visa and before you travel to the United States.

Last edited:
Hi tonis,
I had my passport and visa returned from AKL the next day! This was for a different visa and it was in 2002.
Also, had a visitor visa returned from SYD in under a week.
It seems as though they process them pretty quick. If you allow a working week I think you will be safe. For SYD we have to take an express post return envelope. Im guessing they are still asking the same in NZ. An easy one to overlook so dont forget peeps!
Good luck!
Thanks OC_EMS, looks like we'll be going to Auckland then!

OC6X

Hey guys, just letting you know that I got my interview date scheduled for 28 Oct in the morning, pretty stoked. Does anyone know how long before I should get the medical done? I want to have as much time after the interview before I need to head ot the states and I heard that goes from the date you get the medical done?

When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. A diversity visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months.

When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. A diversity visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months.
On this note, does anybody know how long the police reports are valid for, I'm trying to get them all, MED/POLICE reports done around the same time, I was thinking about 2 weeks before the October interview would allow enough time for the consulate, anyone have any info on this one?

On this note, does anybody know how long the police reports are valid for, I'm trying to get them all, MED/POLICE reports done around the same time, I was thinking about 2 weeks before the October interview would allow enough time for the consulate, anyone have any info on this one?

I would allow a month to obtain the police certificate. I had one done in May in QLD and it took about 2 1/2 weeks.
They say they are valid for a year but Im playing it safe and getting another done.

Found this on DV 2014 thread courtesy of NJames dated Oct 7th 2013. Hope it helps.

I was meant to have my appointment at 830 but I got there at 750 and the door was already open so I went through the metal detector, left my phone with security, and waited to be called upstairs. After about five minutes I was called upstairs, went through another security checkpoint and then pulled a ticket and preceded to wait. After about 40 minutes my number was called, I submitted my documents and was asked to go pay the processing fee. Unfortunately, the eftpos machine was broken so everyone had to pay cash, which of course I didn't have so I had to run downstairs get cash out and go through security again, argh! If I could give any advice it would be to just bring cash with you, it costs $364. After I paid the fee I had to give the receipt to the lady who I had submitted my documents to originally and I was asked to wait again. After about another 40 minutes I was called over for my official interview. The first thing I had to do was swear on oath that I hadn't committed any crimes. Then I was asked why I wanted to move to the US? What my highest level of education was? How much cash I had? And if I had lived for more than 12 months in a country other than Australia? The lady the gave me a small piece of paper saying my application had been approved and it'd be sent in the next few days.

The whole interview process took me about 2.5 hours but everyone at the consulate was really friendly and helpful.

Hi all,

5xx here. I just found this forum today! it feels like home:D

I have two questions at this point: (sorry if the questions sounds so dumbo_O)

1/if i ever score an interview, when will it most likely to happen?

2/ say if i didn't score an interview before the end this year, is it possible to apply for the 2016 dv lottery program? (I am pretty sure that this is not allowed but just wanted to make sure)

Thanks all and good luck to everyone!!!!!

Hi all,

5xx here. I just found this forum today! it feels like home:D

I have two questions at this point: (sorry if the questions sounds so dumbo_O)

1/if i ever score an interview, when will it most likely to happen?

2/ say if i didn't score an interview before the end this year, is it possible to apply for the 2016 dv lottery program? (I am pretty sure that this is not allowed but just wanted to make sure)

Thanks all and good luck to everyone!!!!!

Hi Kiwi,

check out this web page http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html
Have a good read.......... it will give you an idea of when your interview may be. With your number it is possible you may receive an interview in Dec or Jan.
You have a low number so you should be fine.
Yes you can re enter the 2016 lottery. I very much doubt you will need to.
May I suggest you also look at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected.html
Read it carefully as it reveals all the instructions.
A lot is covered in this forum so it is worth reading from page 1.
Also looking at the previous year 2014 forum is very informative.

All the best!

Last edited:
So I will definitely be bringing along my high school completion cert and my university transcript to the interview but does anybody know whether it's worth taking my university degree certificates along as well? They are big (roughly A3) and have a hard cardboard backing so if I don't need them I'll leave them out. If I do bring them it wouldn't hurt me to be overprepared would it?

I thought the interviews were held on the second Tues in the month...but they wouldn't be able to get many done in the one day? Re the Vaccinations, we had blood tests done by our GP and are in the process of getting them all now. Just easier to them done now than wait for the Medical. Re the Hepatitis A & B, you will need 3 - 1 then another a month later then 5 months after that so if you are expecting an early interview start now.

There was a question about why? We are the same as you Emily, family is settled and I have a great career but we are all very excited to be embarking on this journey. Travelling around in an RV for nearly 8 months in 2012 has sparked our interest. There is just so much to see in the USA and it's close to everything - South America, Europe etc. Also we are bored, we have been to most of the places to visit in Vic and have done multiple trips in Tas, NSW, SA & Qld. We are planning a 5 week driving trip to WA just before we go. Life is an adventure, yes some people think we are crazy but we think we are crazy to not go!

Here are some answers to your questions cj27

Hi everyone :) Congrats to all selectees!

It has been a long time dream to move to the USA!
I am just getting some info on the documents and police reports etc. I am a New Zealander living in QLD.

How do I get a NZ police report while I am in Aus? I think this was covered earlier
Where do I go to get an Australian police report for QLD only? As above
What vaccinations are required and does the medical clearance check complete the vaccines or do I need to go to my local Dr for the injections? When should I get them? Do they cost anything? Answered some of this question above, yes they cost money. Hubby needed Varicella (chicken pox) and it was $77, I'm sure you can shop around. Doctor gave both hubby and I Tetanus on it's own and prescribed Boostrix which has Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Polio

In regards to school leavers certs, I am unable to locate mine. Is a letter from the school on letterhead enough? I would say no because anyone can fraudulently produce it - it's the key qualification for entry so you will need to have it, we ordered hubby's HSC Certificate

Also, what sort of documents are 'proof' of 2 years work experience? What is acceptable? If you have equivalent to Year 12, you can enter on that and not need work experience. From reading the DV2014 thread and other research, it's hard to enter based on work experience

I am sorry for all these questions. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the info on here and online! Sorry if this has been covered already. Read the whole DV2014 thread, it takes hours but worth it as it will cover most of what you will need to know.

I have just submitted the DS-260
CN2015OC00006XX - Great number same as ours

Thanks and good luck to everyone with getting closer to your American Dreams

Police check certificates are valid for 12 months.

Re the finger print check, DV2014 thread found out that if your name has changed you will need to get the finger print check - I have married and changed my name so I will be doing this just to be sure. Hubby will do the name only check.

Here are some answers to your questions cj27

Hi everyone :) Congrats to all selectees!

It has been a long time dream to move to the USA!
I am just getting some info on the documents and police reports etc. I am a New Zealander living in QLD.

How do I get a NZ police report while I am in Aus? I think this was covered earlier
Where do I go to get an Australian police report for QLD only? As above
What vaccinations are required and does the medical clearance check complete the vaccines or do I need to go to my local Dr for the injections? When should I get them? Do they cost anything? Answered some of this question above, yes they cost money. Hubby needed Varicella (chicken pox) and it was $77, I'm sure you can shop around. Doctor gave both hubby and I Tetanus on it's own and prescribed Boostrix which has Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Polio

In regards to school leavers certs, I am unable to locate mine. Is a letter from the school on letterhead enough? I would say no because anyone can fraudulently produce it - it's the key qualification for entry so you will need to have it, we ordered hubby's HSC Certificate

Also, what sort of documents are 'proof' of 2 years work experience? What is acceptable? If you have equivalent to Year 12, you can enter on that and not need work experience. From reading the DV2014 thread and other research, it's hard to enter based on work experience

I am sorry for all these questions. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the info on here and online! Sorry if this has been covered already. Read the whole DV2014 thread, it takes hours but worth it as it will cover most of what you will need to know.

I have just submitted the DS-260
CN2015OC00006XX - Great number same as ours

Thanks and good luck to everyone with getting closer to your American Dreams
Looks like there are a few of us kiwi girls looking to head off to America with our family's in tow, unfortunately my son is unable to come with us but being he is now a psych nurse with good work experience in Australia I have no doubt he will eventually be able to follow us over in the near future, has anyone else looked at moving to Texas, it seems to us to be a State that family's can really get ahead in, with my hubby also being a Mental Health Nurse, we are hoping to secure good work in Houston when we arrive, does anyone else have a favourite State that they are interested in settling into?

Looks like there are a few of us kiwi girls looking to head off to America with our family's in tow, unfortunately my son is unable to come with us but being he is now a psych nurse with good work experience in Australia I have no doubt he will eventually be able to follow us over in the near future, has anyone else looked at moving to Texas, it seems to us to be a State that family's can really get ahead in, with my hubby also being a Mental Health Nurse, we are hoping to secure good work in Houston when we arrive, does anyone else have a favourite State that they are interested in settling into?

Yes CC1, there are a few of us Kiwi girls heading over this year.
We plan on living in Tracy, Northern California, as my hubby has a job as Production Manager for a packing company there. His salary will be exactly the same as he gets in Aussie.
I think the cost of living in California is higher than most States, so I guess it all balances out.

We’ve spent all our vacation time, over the past 5 years travelling the US. We also have a US based Hot Rod, which was built there and which we use when we’re there on vacation, travelling between shows as well as doing tourist stuff. Thank goodness for Long Service Leave! But we’ll have to get used to 1-2 weeks leave now.