• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Is the the medical valid for 3 months or 6 months? As the medical envelope was sealed that I took to my Sydney interview, now the envelope I need to take to the US is sealed. I will be going to activate 5 months after my medical and 1 month before my activation visa expires what will happen if my medical was only for 3 months and has expired when I land in the US to activate?

The visa validity date will take account of the medical validity. So - they accounted for that already. Just make sure you enter the USA before the visa expires.

I have applied for the Federal Police check just to make sure. I really think the original check will be okay but I dont want to take the chance. I've also sent an email with our reference numbers asking if the could be processed urgently.

I have applied for the Federal Police check just to make sure. I really think the original check will be okay but I dont want to take the chance. I've also sent an email with our reference numbers asking if the could be processed urgently.

Well, I completed my application last night and just got an email saying this.

"We are pleased to confirm that your National Police Check (NPC) has been completed and your certificate will be dispatched via the next available Australia Post service to your nominated mailing address. "

That's a quick turnaround.

Well, I completed my application last night and just got an email saying this.

"We are pleased to confirm that your National Police Check (NPC) has been completed and your certificate will be dispatched via the next available Australia Post service to your nominated mailing address. "

That's a quick turnaround.
Thanks, that is a very fast turnaround! Let's hope they keep up the good work, the website says 15 days turnaround for name checks and 30 days for finger prints.

Revieved a response as follows:

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

Depending on which Australian state or territory in which you reside will depend on how to apply for the Australian police certificate. Please refer to http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html for further information.

Note: you only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate. Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months from date of issuance.

Your certificate can be based on a name check or fingerprint check.

If it’s based on a name check, it must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based on a fingerprint check.

Please refer to our website http://canberra.usembassy.gov/diversityvisa/selectedapplicants.html to ensure you have all the documents and required checklist to be submitted on the day of the visa interview.

Thank you

Immigrant Visa Unit
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney
(CC)

The link is to the orginal instructions - Victoria Police complete form online and have signed by local Police Station. So we do not need the Federal online check.

Depending on which Australian state or territory in which you reside will depend on how to apply for the Australian police certificate. Please refer to http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html for further information.

Note: you only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate. Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months from date of issuance.

If it’s based on a name check, it must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based on a fingerprint check.

Please refer to our website http://canberra.usembassy.gov/diversityvisa/selectedapplicants.html to ensure you have all the documents and required checklist to be submitted on the day of the visa interview.

Thank you

Immigrant Visa Unit
(CC)

The link is to the orginal instructions - Victoria Police complete form online and have signed by local Police Station. So we do not need the Federal online check.
Thanks for posting that, I applied for my Federal one last night, oh well atleast it was only $40!

I'm still confused as the instructions on one part of the site say AFP and the embassy specific instructions say state.

It would be good if they could align the two and provide consistent advice!

Technically, they should go off the advice in the direct DV link I would have thought. We will hopefully have both if the AFP comes next week and I'll take both to the interview. This will be good to sort out for all future interviewees.

So the Federal Police Clearances seem to be a bit of a grey area aswell, think we will go and get new ones too just to be 100% sure. Just like said for the sake of $40 each its worth doing.

I do have a few other questions that if someone can help me out would be great.

1) Can I get a new passport before the interview without any issues since the other one would expire within the next 1.5 years and I don’t want to renew it first thing when we get to the USA.

2) We want to fly to the USA over Easter to meet up with my wife's family - which means we would have to activate the Green Card as soon as we enter. Does it somehow affect the Green Card if we apply now for an ESTA visa for the case that we don’t get the Green Card so we can at least holiday in the USA? (applying for the ESTA after the the denial at the interview would most likely mean that an ESTA visa would get rejected and we would have to apply for a tourist visa at the embassy which would take up too much time if we wanna fly by the end of March)

3) On top of this, my wife is also pregnant. We are due in August. We would only move to the US (if we get the Green Card) after she gave birth. Considering that the baby can’t fly straight away after being born and we would have to organise some paper work like birth certificate and passport we could (maybe) earliest migrate to the US in October/November. We would of activated the Green Card in March when we fly over for our holiday together, however our baby won't be born by then. We would stay away from the US after activating the Green Card for most likely 8 months. Is this going to be a problem? and is it an issue to add the child to green card once we finally move over?

Thank you

Immigrant Visa Unit
(CC)

I am thinking about more and more if I do need to get the Federal Police Clearance. We have National Police Clearances from WA Police, however my wife needs a new one anyways as it doesn't have her maiden name on there.

So for extra security and to make sure we got everything we need should we both apply through the AFP website for federal checks?
I am hoping that if we my wife will come up with her maiden name and married name now. We only got married in July, and we live in Perth, but got married and registered in Sydney.

Honestly, @Hershal, I really don't think it matters how you get it, whether through State or through AFP.

@Carolineinthecity in the city had the great idea to - whichever one you took - print out the instructions. So if you have one going through the state police, print out the embassy specific advice. If you have the federal one, print out the dvselectee.gov specific advice. Both represent official advice from the US government.

And, ultimately, both are checks that leverage the same data set. Just one is done through the state police and the other goes through the AFP.