• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Have just come from a Kenyan in new jersey community meeting:I interacted with over 50 families where i enjoyed over 10 varieties of KIKUYU(tribe) delicacies(nyama choma,mukimo,ugali,chapati,kales, etc .
I thought i was home;
I got a lot of advise
Am all ears to hear about this but you have made it so brief. Say a little more

Hahaha @Simon
so you feel as if you are living in well developed Kenya(KenAmerica) . It has amazing feeling to have your people around even if you are far from home land.
Sure Flan-I introduced myself and they really appreciated me and gave me first hand experiences they went through-am sure really blessed to have gotten the chance speaking in that meeting.
It was at night when my hosts friend came to carry some meals to the meeting and and asked him"where she was taking the meals'to which she answered -"Ooh we are having an open meeting for Kenyans living in the neighborhood-( NJ)I requested her whether I should accompany her-to which she said "its cold outside-I said-well no problem-this is a lifetime opportunity for me:any way I learn t a lot a lot a lot-(very personal experiences)

Sure Flan-I introduced myself and they really appreciated me and gave me first hand experiences they went through-am sure really blessed to have gotten the chance speaking in that meeting.
It was at night when my hosts friend came to carry some meals to the meeting and and asked him"where she was taking the meals'to which she answered -"Ooh we are having an open meeting for Kenyans living in the neighborhood-( NJ)I requested her whether I should accompany her-to which she said "its cold outside-I said-well no problem-this is a lifetime opportunity for me:any way I learn t a lot a lot a lot-(very personal experiences)

@Simon very happy to hear you feel at home, and surely it was a great opportunity to mingle with Kenyans in the neighborhood. What a timing ! :)

That's very nice. Don't forget to share us main(useful) experiences which may help new comers. Like us....

Well am also on face book-I have posted my photo while at the Motor vehicle commission-where I picked a drivers manual
And another photo of myself taking the African delicacy(roasted goat meat) at the host home

Now:The first challenge I encountered:
When living home I registered for the USCIS but never paid the money-
I just left some cash with my family at home:
I only carried $250 when travel ling and i thought I could pay my USCIS( $165) separately -to which it was not possible-any I didn't want to bother my host and I just called Rogers dv 20149maryland) who is just 2months old here in America and he told me he will pay for me the $800 on Monday.
Anyway-Carry with you some enough cash(my case is different though) I sold a property and the final payment ( $ 12,000) is to be completed next week but I could not wait for the payment.
That is the hard experience I have so far encountered- I don't expect any other-and when it comes am ready to face it.

I only carried $250 when travel ling and i thought I could pay my USCIS( $165) separately -to which it was not possible-any I didn't want to bother my host and I just called Rogers dv 20149maryland) who is just 2months old here in America and he told me he will pay for me the $800 on Monday.
Anyway-Carry with you some enough cash(my case is different though) I sold a property and the final payment ( $ 12,000) is to be completed next week but I could not wait for the payment.
That is the hard experience I have so far encountered- I don't expect any other-and when it comes am ready to face it.
Hi Simon.Nice reading u from this parts of the world.Glad you are picking up the pieces of a jig-saw puzzle.God light up your path.

@ingwe-Look at this -I treated you guyz while in Kenya for Nyama choma (African roasted meat) it was time for pay back hear in New Jersey first picture at New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission(collected) drivers manual Second picture an African delicacy.
Hope I don't give much personal details-I have no problem sharing the good and bad times experiences

Attachments

• 20141122_141950 (360x640).jpg
    20141122_141950 (360x640).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20141122_123703 (450x800) (360x640).jpg
    20141122_123703 (450x800) (360x640).jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
@ingwe-Look at this -I treated you guyz while in Kenya for Nyama choma (African roasted meat) it was time for pay back hear in New Jersey first picture at New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission(collected) drivers manual Second picture an African delicacy.
Hope I don't give much personal details-I have no problem sharing the good and bad times experiences
Thats very encouraging..BTW Ive noticed that NJ is the most preffered POE for alot of AF hopefuls why is it the case?

@Simon, how do you plan to transfer your money to US? I thinly 12k is large amount to be transferred in cash. Have you seen @Britsimon's thread on how to transfer money?

Interestingly my host had an interest on the deal:he's the one to pay me-It was an issue of timing..
It means, you gave the money for someone in Kenya to whom your host had wanted to give, and he/she is goin to pay you in US. Am i right? Win-win strategy.

Fellow members:I am posting this personal details as am on the ground and each one of us will have their own experiences.
May my own experiences not set precedences and should NOT in any way taken as the best way to go about it..
I have also observed that people here value time-tight schedule and am told by my host to take a some REST as in a few weeks I might also be moving up and down with NO time to spare for social activities.
So members-am still learning the system

It means, you gave the money for someone in Kenya to whom your host had wanted to give, and he/she is going to pay you in US. Am i right? Win-win strategy.
Not really- he was among those who developed some interests in the property and in fact he paid some down payment while at home-( the info am giving is very personal) but its good to share I think...