• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

My second week in the USA.Got my ssn on Monday.had applied on Wednesday last week( after two days on arrival).I also got a bank account ..Got a temporary Atm card.Waiting for the main card to be posted.I also applied for the state id.which is to be posted.So far so good.Busy studying for my written driver's license test.hopefully to write early next week.I am also applying for jobs right front n center.Nothing promising yet except an interview scheduled for next week.Went to some college and interviewed for a CNA course(certified Nursing Assistant) now due to enroll in august. any advise on how to go about applying for jobs in a more faster and effective way.sussie,britsimom,som1smom please give me your insight

Last edited:
Made a good attempt at getting the DL but when it came to the skill test which is the final one in a series of four, I failed to make a COMPLETE STOP while turning right on the red.You need to stop for at least five seconds and I did three. I hope for better luck next time.

Moving to Maryland?
1. Apply for SSN the first day. if you can. They will send the notification within a few days. I got the actual card in five.
2. Open a bank account as soon as you can and do at least one transaction. They will mail a transaction check to your address. You need these two as TWO DIFFERENT forms of proof of address to apply for your DL within a short time. If you have time, then you can simply wait for other forms of proof of residence.
Back to Nairobi in a few days.

Last edited:
Guys is a kenyan DL needed for you to take a skill test in U.S?

There are different routes to getting a U.S. DL depending on whether you already have a license or not. So it's not required, but if you don't have one you will have to go through the entire process of learner permits and being unable to drive on your own before you can get a DL. Note that this is a general observation, and exact rules will depend on which state you are in. I think it's New Jersey where you can just swop your Kenyan license, other states you will need to take a behind-the-wheel test.

There are different routes to getting a U.S. DL depending on whether you already have a license or not. So it's not required, but if you don't have one you will have to go through the entire process of learner permits and being unable to drive on your own before you can get a DL. Note that this is a general observation, and exact rules will depend on which state you are in. I think it's New Jersey where you can just swop your Kenyan license, other states you will need to take a behind-the-wheel test.
If you are moving to Maryland, be sure to get an international drivers licence which together with your VALID Kenyan is good for sixty days. You won't get this info posted anywhere unless you ask MVA. I opted not carry it as i thought is was not useful but it is.
Also see earlier post on this including mine.
Feels good to be back in Nairobi but only briefly.

Guys is a kenyan DL needed for you to take a skill test in U.S?

Not really, some states allow you to use it upto 90 days while you are in the process of getting an American/State license. Texas test had a theory part and a practical part. Requirements included a SSN, Passport stamp/Green Card.

If you are moving to Maryland, be sure to get an international drivers licence which together with your VALID Kenyan is good for sixty days. You won't get this info posted anywhere unless you ask MVA. I opted not carry it as i thought is was not useful but it is.
Also see earlier post on this including mine.
Feels good to be back in Nairobi but only briefly.
Heading to maryland,very informative.Shukran

Random hints from my notebook:
1. Ultra Mobile has one of the easiest phone connection tarriff - no contract. Shops offering this will also stock unlocked phones is you can use the phone in other countries including Kenya.

2. You will find internet connection indispensable and you really need GPS, especially when you are in a metro area.

3. You can apply for SSN the very first day.

4. In Maryland, you have only one chance to take a walk in driving skill test and if you don't pass, you will have to book an appointment waiting time is rarely less than two months.

Finally in maryland,what a long journey.
Congratulations. Did you notice the determined tireless act by the airline staff for 14 plus hours?
Only comment to them is on the first leg between Nairobi and Dubai.The Announcements in broken swahili left me in stitches. It's a sweet language when fluently done.
Wish you well in your efforts to start pursuing a new dream.

Last edited: