• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello,

The I-485 asks for the "place of last admission in the USA". My wife came from Paris to New York via Toronto. As a result she was inspected in Toronto by the US customs and it appears as "YYZ Toronto Pearson International" on her I-94. There was no inspection in New York. Should she write "Toronto" or New York ? In addition do you think a continuation sheet to further explain her situation would be needed ?
thank you very much.

Put YYZ Toronto Pearson International.

I know the answer of this question depends to lot of parameters, just based on your experience in previous years, did you see anybody to get current in September and get his/her green card successfully, my CN is around Asia 8050 ?

Yes. If you go through some of the past AOS Threads, you will come across stories of cases that became current in September and successfully completed the AOS process.

The ben
Like I said, receiving MedicAid is not subject to public charge consideration. Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "Tenaf" - if you mean TANF, that is the other benefit/assistance you received is under TANF, then that is subject to the public charge consideration. Now I know the temptation will be to not declare it on your I-485 form since its subject to public charge consideration, however withholding that information will be a grave mistake. One is required to be truthful and upfront when it comes to immigration matters, my suggestion is to declare it and let the IO make the final call as to deny or approve your petition.

Presenting the letter from your sponsor could be of help, however there's the fact that your sponsor isn't actually based in the U.S. So in addition to that, you might want to look into someone actually filling out an I-134 for you.
is called DFAB.

Like I said, receiving MedicAid is not subject to public charge consideration. Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "Tenaf" - if you mean TANF, that is the other benefit/assistance you received is under TANF, then that is subject to the public charge consideration. Now I know the temptation will be to not declare it on your I-485 form since its subject to public charge consideration, however withholding that information will be a grave mistake. One is required to be truthful and upfront when it comes to immigration matters, my suggestion is to declare it and let the IO make the final call as to deny or approve your petition.

Presenting the letter from your sponsor could be of help, however there's the fact that your sponsor isn't actually based in the U.S. So in addition to that, you might want to look into someone actually filling out an I-134 for you.
Thank you for your assistance. The benefit is called DFAB and it is for those who don't qualify for TANF and Medicaid.

Thank you for your assistance. The benefit is called DFAB and it is for those who don't qualify for TANF and Medicaid.

Okay, I don't know presicely what DFAB is. It sounds like some other form of government sponsored health insurance program based on your description. The good news is it likely doesn't fall the public charge consideration category based on this:
  • Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care.
http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet
Notwithstanding, I still think you should mention it on your I-485 and let the IO make the final call.

I'd certainly would be most glad for this approach to work out for you, yet somehow have doubts that it actually will. If so, you still have an subsequent F2A application open to you, presuming your personal DV process closes successfully. All the best!
Thanks, I really hope it works that way. Or do you think I should send them concurrently??

I'll focus on my case and see at the interview if I’ll be able to file for FTJ.
I called KCC to get some information. The lady that answered my call said that I should submit my Aos package as soon as my number is current and call my local office in order to get my interview scheduled as early as possible. I don’t know if this is correct since USCIS has to send you the notice, the appointment for biometrics and the interview dates, any clarifications on this?
For the Biometrics I want to try walk-ins in order to save time. Do you know how I could find the local office (I’m in Minnesota) where I should go for that?

I'll focus on my case and see at the interview if I’ll be able to file for FTJ.
I called KCC to get some information. The lady that answered my call said that I should submit my Aos package as soon as my number is current and call my local office in order to get my interview scheduled as early as possible. I don’t know if this is correct since USCIS has to send you the notice, the appointment for biometrics and the interview dates, any clarifications on this?
For the Biometrics I want to try walk-ins in order to save time. Do you know how I could find the local office (I’m in Minnesota) where I should go for that?

You can't call your "local office", there's no number listed for the FOs. Each FO is responsible for sending out IL, the NBC is responsible for sending out bio notice. You can't do a walk-in without the bio appointment notice itself, you still have to wait to receive the bio notice even if you want to attempt a bio, the notice will have the information for where you can do your bio. Of course if you simply want to know your applicable FO and ASC ahead of time, you can find the link for that on the AOS spreadsheet.

Hello guys,
1) I am just curious, is there any good certified lawyers/attorney available online, where you can ask your question through chat/email?

2) By any chance, has any F1 Student re-newed his/her I-20 from School - while he/she has pending case with USCIS for Adjustment of Status?

The reason I am asking, recently I have graduated from school and I have 60 day grace period. Before this 60 day grace period ends, I have to inform the school about my plans: such as pursuing a different degree, applying for OPT, or change of status.
If re-newing the I-20 is ok - it just allows me to fall back to my previous (F1) status - in case Adjustment of Status gets denied.

I did get an OPT (STEM) extension I20 recently, while my case was being processed. I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't be able to get a new I20 while your case is processing...

Hi All

I have another question i'm hoping to get some help on if possible. Recently I was checking the I-94 online retrieval site (I had included a print-out of my only I-94 in my AOS package, but wanted to print out another copy for my own records).

This time around I clicked on the "I-94 Travel History" button to see what it would say and saw that for some reason, my travel history shows me as having departed the United States at the end of last year, even though I have not left the US for over two years (left and re-entered legally with no issues and maintained legal status within the US the entire time). Googling around it seems that this may be caused from having a return ticket that I did not use booked for that date, although I spent some time searching for records of one and was not able to find anything.

I have looked around and this issue appears to be quite common - some people seem to have been able to fix this problem through contacting US customs and border protection directly, but many people seem to not been able to do anything about it.

I have already spent several hours trying to get this resolved by contacting the closest US Customs and Border Protection office near me, but they assured me that it "probably" means nothing and basically told me to stop contacting them about it.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience on if this may cause any issues i.e. with my background check or with my interview? I feel it is unlikely to get fixed by itself (as its been about a year since their system lists me as having left the US and it is still not corrected) and I am unsure what to do about it, or if it is unlikely to matter.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my current I-94 information is all correct, and my latest arrival information is all correct, there just is an additional "departure" entry near the end of last year in the "travel history" section of the I-94 site only, which seems separate from the actual I-94 itself, which has no issues.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your input! I will most probably cancel my trip if I don't get my Green Card by then...I managed to reschedule my Infopass to this Wednesday so I'll hopefully have an update then.
Thank you again!

Hi @Sm1smom - I did the Infopass and they told me I was in the queue for an interview...and I did get the letter today! My interview is on July 20 and as I was telling you in my first post, I was planning on traveling abroad on July 24 (until August 9).
Does your advice still hold and do you think I should still avoid traveling even after the interview or do you think I will be fine?
I'm on an H1B visa and during the Infopass, the officer told me indeed that it was a dual intent visa and that I was allowed to travel internationally while waiting for the AOS to be completed. But I really value your opinion so I'd love to know what you think about traveling after the interview but before receiving the GC.
Thank you!

Hi All

I have another question i'm hoping to get some help on if possible. Recently I was checking the I-94 online retrieval site (I had included a print-out of my only I-94 in my AOS package, but wanted to print out another copy for my own records).

This time around I clicked on the "I-94 Travel History" button to see what it would say and saw that for some reason, my travel history shows me as having departed the United States at the end of last year, even though I have not left the US for over two years (left and re-entered legally with no issues and maintained legal status within the US the entire time). Googling around it seems that this may be caused from having a return ticket that I did not use booked for that date, although I spent some time searching for records of one and was not able to find anything.

I have looked around and this issue appears to be quite common - some people seem to have been able to fix this problem through contacting US customs and border protection directly, but many people seem to not been able to do anything about it.

I have already spent several hours trying to get this resolved by contacting the closest US Customs and Border Protection office near me, but they assured me that it "probably" means nothing and basically told me to stop contacting them about it.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience on if this may cause any issues i.e. with my background check or with my interview? I feel it is unlikely to get fixed by itself (as its been about a year since their system lists me as having left the US and it is still not corrected) and I am unsure what to do about it, or if it is unlikely to matter.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my current I-94 information is all correct, and my latest arrival information is all correct, there just is an additional "departure" entry near the end of last year in the "travel history" section of the I-94 site only, which seems separate from the actual I-94 itself, which has no issues.

I have the same thing. It caused no issues and I successfully adjusted status despite the fact that I was not even in the country according to their system...

Hello All,
I filed I-485 concurrently with I-131 and I-765. I received my EAD/AP combo in May.
Recently, 06/30/2015, I interviewed for I-485 and the officer said everything was fine, and said she would approve after a final quick check the very same day.
A few days after the interview, on 4th of July, I received e-mail and SMS alerts for my I-765 application. When I login to my case status page,
(i) for I-765 application: I see that my card was mailed to me in April but the date of last update is 07/04/2015;
(ii) for I-485 application: no update since 02/23/2015.
I called USCIS CSC and the officer says that my I-485 application is within the processing time and all I should do is wait.
Do you have any recommendation? Did you experience similar unusual activities recently?

Thanks,

Hi @Sm1smom - I did the Infopass and they told me I was in the queue for an interview...and I did get the letter today! My interview is on July 20 and as I was telling you in my first post, I was planning on traveling abroad on July 24 (until August 9).
Does your advice still hold and do you think I should still avoid traveling even after the interview or do you think I will be fine?
I'm on an H1B visa and during the Infopass, the officer told me indeed that it was a dual intent visa and that I was allowed to travel internationally while waiting for the AOS to be completed. But I really value your opinion so I'd love to know what you think about traveling after the interview but before receiving the GC.
Thank you!

Congratulations on getting IL.

So here's the question you should ask yourself, assuming at the end of your interview, the IO says 'everything looks ok, I plan on approving your case but I need to further review your documents before approving the case'. Then you travel out of the U.S. 4 days later, and after you leave, your case gets approved. How do you plan on re-entering the U.S.? With your H1B visa which technically speaking becomes invalid upon the approval of your AOS petition or you feel your GC would have been issued and you have someone who can mail it out to you in time for your return trip back to the U.S.?

I wouldn't undertake the trip if I was in your shoes, unless the IO says to me at the end of the interview I'm approving your case. And in that case, I would actually explain to the IO I already have a trip planned and would respectfully request that he/she stamp my passport so that I can use that to return back to the U.S. Without that stamp, I wouldn't make the trip. Now, that is what I would do, you make the best call for yourself.

I checked my case status online today and this is what it says:
Your interview for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number xxx, was completed, and your case must be reviewed. We will mail you a notice if we make a decision or take further action.​
Is this a generic message they always put up there or should I worry about it? The "must be reviewed" part is somewhat scary to me, but I'm thinking I'm probably reading too much into it?

I checked my case status online today and this is what it says:
Your interview for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number xxx, was completed, and your case must be reviewed. We will mail you a notice if we make a decision or take further action.​
Is this a generic message they always put up there or should I worry about it? The "must be reviewed" part is somewhat scary to me, but I'm thinking I'm probably reading too much into it?

Usually there's no update to case statuses for lottery cases until the GC is approved. BUT there have been a number of cases reported on this forum of people getting the message you describe, and things have gone fine for them, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. Probably just a sign your IO is on top of things and bothered to update the system.

Hello All,
I filed I-485 concurrently with I-131 and I-765. I received my EAD/AP combo in May.
Recently, 06/30/2015, I interviewed for I-485 and the officer said everything was fine, and said she would approve after a final quick check the very same day.
A few days after the interview, on 4th of July, I received e-mail and SMS alerts for my I-765 application. When I login to my case status page,
(i) for I-765 application: I see that my card was mailed to me in April but the date of last update is 07/04/2015;
(ii) for I-485 application: no update since 02/23/2015.
I called USCIS CSC and the officer says that my I-485 application is within the processing time and all I should do is wait.
Do you have any recommendation? Did you experience similar unusual activities recently?

Thanks,

Typically, the I-485 case status does not update until the final approval (for one notable exception, see my previous post from a few seconds ago), so this just means that they're reviewing your case.