• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.
I did go through the spreadsheet carefully but two of my questions could not be answered by it:
- What do I do for my evidence of financial support if I am a student? Do I provide a bank statement of my own account even if I don't have proper means of income right now in the US?
- If I just applied for an social security number, do I leave that field blank or wait until I get my number and then send out my package?

The spreadsheet clearly addresses your first question. Get an affidavit of support if you don't have enough income to show that you will not become a public charge! If you have enough money in your account which is above the poverty income guide level, then use your own bank statement. However in general for those in F1 status in particular, it is always a good idea to have an affidavit of support as a back up even if you have enough savings in your account to show at the one of the interview.

I agree the SSN question is not addressed by the spreadsheet however that information is not crucial. You can leave the section blank and submit your package without it.

I am seeking this information as one of my dependants has certified court documents clearing him and receipts for paid traffic tickets for cases that were of over fifteen years back when he resided in the US. right now he is in the country and so in preparing for my interview next year, I thought I should ask.

So you're processing CP, correct? If yes you're asking your question on the wrong thread!

Hi there! Firstly, I'd like to say how thankful I am to have found this forum – it has been so helpful in this application process.

A quick question: I'm currently on a non-extendable J1 visa, participating in a work/travel exchange program. It is due to expire at the end of March 2015, and my DV number is current in October. Do I still need to file an I-765 with the rest of my AOS package?

Thanks!

Hi there! Firstly, I'd like to say how thankful I am to have found this forum – it has been so helpful in this application process.

A quick question: I'm currently on a non-extendable J1 visa, participating in a work/travel exchange program. It is due to expire at the end of March 2015, and my DV number is current in October. Do I still need to file an I-765 with the rest of my AOS package?

Thanks!

Do you not have the 2 year home residency requirement? I'm not sure how that woirks - I'd be interested in what Mom has to say on this.

Do you not have the 2 year home residency requirement? I'm not sure how that woirks - I'd be interested in what Mom has to say on this.

Thanks for the reply! Nope, on my J1 it states 'Bearer is not subject to section 212(E). Two year rule does not apply.'

Thanks for the reply! Nope, on my J1 it states 'Bearer is not subject to section 212(E). Two year rule does not apply.'

Ok then wait for Mom to answer - but generally it makes no sense to apply for an EAD since the AoS process is going to take around the same time.

By the way, you could have already submitted your AoS package - you need not have waited until October - you are allowed to file early.

Thanks!

If your CN is current for Oct and you file in a timely manner, everything being equal, your case ought to be adjudicated before your J1 visa expires in March 2015. Having said that, I should mention IOs have sometimes in the past taken up to 5 months to approve a case following the interview, so if you want a back up plan to enable you work just in case you end up with such an IO, it might not be a bad idea to apply for an EAD card.

At the end of the day, it's your call.

If the OP had a 2 year home residency requirement to fulfill, the first step they would have needed to take would have been to apply for and obtain a waiver which they would have needed to submit with their application. But this OP isn't subject to the home residence stay requirement, so they're good.

If your CN is current for Oct and you file in a timely manner, everything being equal, your case ought to be adjudicated before your J1 visa expires in March 2015. Having said that, I should mention IOs have sometimes in the past taken up to 5 months to approve a case following the interview, so if you want a back up plan to enable you work just in case you end up with such an IO, it might not be a bad idea to apply for an EAD card.

At the end of the day, it's your call.

Thank you Sm1smom. Just wondering, if for some reason the case isn't done by the time my J1 expires, and I don't apply for an EAD – will returning to my home country (once the interview is completed) until the GC is issued, going to be a problem? Do I have to be present in the US the entire process?

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you Sm1smom. Just wondering, if for some reason the case isn't done by the time my J1 expires, and I don't apply for an EAD – will returning to my home country (once the interview is completed) until the GC is issued, going to be a problem? Do I have to be present in the US the entire process?

Thanks again for your help.

If you do not apply for an AP card and leave the US before your case is approved, you will be considered to have abandoned the case and that will be the end of it, regardless of the fact that you've already been interviewed. And I hope you do know that an EAD card does not serve the same purpose as an AP card even though they're both issued on the same plastic card

If you do not apply for an AP card and leave the US before your case is approved, you will be considered to have abandoned the case and that will be the end of it, regardless of the fact that you've already been interviewed. And I hope you do know that an EAD card does not serve the same purpose as an AP card even though they're both issued on the same plastic card

Ah right, thank you! One last thing, from what I understand tax filing begins early in the year in the States? I've only been working in the US since mid April 2014, therefore haven't been here long enough to file taxes yet. How do I go about showing a w-2 if it hasn't been time to fill out one?
Will my payslips be enough proof to show I'm paying taxes?

Ah right, thank you! One last thing, from what I understand tax filing begins early in the year in the States? I've only been working in the US since mid April 2014, therefore haven't been here long enough to file taxes yet. How do I go about showing a w-2 if it hasn't been time to fill out one?
Will my payslips be enough proof to show I'm paying taxes?

Yes in that case payslips is all you will show, plus the offer letter for the job.

Hello guys.

I have question regarding to the marriage after issuing the green card.
I am a single.
If I decide to go back to my country and get married after I get the green card ( God willing ), can I finish her paper and get the green card early?
How long does that take?
How the process go?

Any answer and advice please.
Thanks.

Hello guys.

I have question regarding to the marriage after issuing the green card.
I am a single.
If I decide to go back to my country and get married after I get the green card ( God willing ), can I finish her paper and get the green card early?
How long does that take?
How the process go?

Any answer and advice please.
Thanks.

If you get married and wish to bring in your spouse after getting your GC, you will file a GC petition under the F2A Family visa category. The approval process is long and could be expensive, the process could possibly take anywhere between 2 to 5 years.

Ok. Thanks.
You mean that I cannot bring her to the US before 2-5 years?

That is a lot. I thought it is gonna take up to 6 months.
Anyway, I am planing to go back and get married next year because I cannot wait 2 years or more.

Is there any other solution?

Ok. Thanks.

Anyway, I am planing to go back and get married next year because I cannot wait 2 years or more.

Do you actually have someone specific in mind to marry?

Ok. Thanks.

Even if you can afford to wait for 2 more years before getting married, it does not mean you will be able to bring her to the US within 6 months as you're thinking (unless there are some legislative changes regarding immigration by the), it will still take a couple of years for her to join you. My response wasn't that you should wait 2 years or more before getting married!

Other options could be you get married before your CN becomes current and try to include her as a derivative so that she can benefit from your current selection. That option could be a bit complicated in your case unless you know precisely what you're getting into.

She could also try to get a F1 visa before you get married, come to the US and you both get married after her arrival. Possibility of getting the visa after getting married will be very very low.

If she's able to find an employer to sponsor her for a H1 visa, that may be another option.