• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

It doesn't make sense to me filling out the DS-260, which asks for additional documentation like tax returns, when the I-485 doesn't ask for that information at all, yet it is essentially a similar document.

Hi, I've been reading this thread and it's been very informative about the AoS process. I just wanted to share a bit of information with regard to whether you need to submit DS-260 when doing AoS. I'm still not sure, and I had intended to submit it because of the first question asking whether you intend to do AoS or CP. However, I paid the DV $330 fee very early on (sometime in June I think), and got both my receipt and the 2nd NL (a copy of which someone posted a couple of pages back), which lets you know that KCC now knows you intend to do AoS. However, I never submitted DS-260. I started the application, and did answer the part asking whether you wanted to do AoS, moved on to the next page, and once I went back to that initial screen, my answer affirming my choice to do AoS was greyed out and it still will not allow me to change it even when I go on the website. So, I don't know if it's because I paid the fee early or if indicating on the DS-260 that you want to do AoS is sufficient to let them know, but I just wanted to say I never submitted DS-260 and my attorney says there is no need to submit it at this point since I already received the 2nd NL. Just wanted to share this information. Thanks again for the very useful thread!

It doesn't make sense to me filling out the DS-260, which asks for additional documentation like tax returns, when the I-485 doesn't ask for that information at all, yet it is essentially a similar document.

As a FYI for you guys, here's the memo released by the DOS regarding DV2015 and the DS 260 form:

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/policy_updates/DS_260_Rollout_DV_2015.pdf

Of course it's your call, feel free to go with your lawyers advice or your thinking about the redundancy of submitting the form to KCC.

In the past, DV based AOS applicants only needed to send in DSP-122 while CP applicants where required to send in both DSP-122 and DS-230. Starting with DV2015, those forms got merged and became DS260, hence the requirement for everyone processing to submit the form. Admittedly some of the questions on the form makes no sense to those doing AOS, but for now it is what it is. Maybe they will get it right by DV2016 and have a separate form for AOS candidates.

As a FYI for you guys, here's the memo released by the DOS regarding DV2015 and the DS 260 form:

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/policy_updates/DS_260_Rollout_DV_2015.pdf

Of course it's your call, feel free to go with your lawyers advice or your thinking about the redundancy of submitting the form to KCC.

I read that memo before, and to me, they are are known for being ambiguous. I'm not doing anything just yet, will consult attorney on this new info and see what she comes back with.
thanks

I guess there is no harm in filling this form out.

See she told me back in May that I didn't need to do the DS-260, so I didn't fill it out. I only just got an L1 visa in May, so I was dealing with the attorney for that visa.
So she's already been wrong at the most basic stage of the process...

Yep she was wrong about the 260 and she was wrong about the timing of when the case should be submitted. My guess is the lawyer will continue to make mistakes because lawyers rarely (VERY rarely) do DV cases - they are a tiny fraction of all the cases. Still if you don't have to worry about paying fees and you don't mind slowing down a perfectly simple process, then yeah, using a lawyer is fine..... :rolleyes:

And yeah, the DOS info is badly written and frankly not the way it works....

sigh..
In the AOS package it mentions including copy of High school degrees, other diplomas, certificates, pay stubs for the last 6 months, bank statements etc. When you look on the USCIS website, for AOS it doesn't mention having to provide any of this. And I actually provided most of this when I submitted for the L1 visa.

sigh..
In the AOS package it mentions including copy of High school degrees, other diplomas, certificates, pay stubs for the last 6 months, bank statements etc. When you look on the USCIS website, for AOS it doesn't mention having to provide any of this. And I actually provided most of this when I submitted for the L1 visa.

You do realize you're not obligated to follow or do anything that spreadsheet says? For sheez! Not even sure why you're bothering with it since you feel your lawyer is competent enough to handle your DV case for you.

In the past, DV based AOS applicants only needed to send in DSP-122 while CP applicants where required to send in both DSP-122 and DS-230. Starting with DV2015, those forms got merged and became DS260, hence the requirement for everyone processing to submit the form. Admittedly some of the questions on the form makes no sense to those doing AOS, but for now it is what it is. Maybe they will get it right by DV2016 and have a separate form for AOS candidates.

Just to point out some of the questions don't make sense for any DV applicant (like the labor certification one). That alone is certainly a bad reason to not fill in the form!

If anyone can remember the username of that woman in NYC whose company lawyer "helped" her with the process and nearly ended up losing her the green card, that might be an instructive story for some. Even avvo.com has blatantly incorrect answers on DV questions. Like simon says, most lawyers do not know how to handle DV cases.

sigh..

So what do you think about all those people on the forums who mention needing these when reporting their interview experiences?

My CN is 2015AF00068xxx. I have the same old question about CP VS AOS and prepping early enough for either case. What I have heard is that with high CNs such as mine, traditionally CP has been the way to go but that they have become better on trying to ensure that either way, you get your interview in the month that you become current. Any one with the latest info on this? Sorry if this might have been answered before but this is one area that evolves over time and so the answer from one year ago May or may not be the same. Someone, anyone? 2nd question? If I manage to get an interview when my # becomes current, how soon after that can they issue the visa?

My CN is 2015AF00068xxx. I have the same old question about CP VS AOS and prepping early enough for either case. What I have heard is that with high CNs such as mine, traditionally CP has been the way to go but that they have become better on trying to ensure that either way, you get your interview in the month that you become current. Any one with the latest info on this? Sorry if this might have been answered before but this is one area that evolves over time and so the answer from one year ago May or may not be the same. Someone, anyone? 2nd question? If I manage to get an interview when my # becomes current, how soon after that can they issue the visa?

I have been recommending people with high CNs in DV2014 consider CP over AoS. USCIS have indeed clarified the position for FOs and all of USCIS to facilitate early filing, the goal to be to get the case trough asap after it goes current. However, that is by no means guaranteed. I was current in June, filed in April and have only just been given a September interview date. My FO (San Francisco) thought it was ok to delay the case like that - and ignored all my attempts to move them faster. There are others who have interviewed within days of going current. So, if you want a sure thing and you have a high CN, then at least consider CP.

You usually become an LPR either at or very shortly after the interview. The GC itself will of course take a bit of time to arrive.

If anyone can remember the username of that woman in NYC whose company lawyer "helped" her with the process and nearly ended up losing her the green card, that might be an instructive story for some. Even avvo.com has blatantly incorrect answers on DV questions. Like simon says, most lawyers do not know how to handle DV cases.

Personally, I don't see any point in providing additional information to someone who thinks everything that's been recommended here so far has to be wrong unless their lawyer sanctions it, even after being told that most immigration lawyers do not have a clear understanding of the DV process in addition to the fact that the glaring error made this trusted lawyer has been pointed out to them.

sigh..

The spreadsheet has been tested by crowd-sourcing by past forum-members. It has worked, and fine-tuned when necessary. And that's enough information.

DOS published Visa Bulletin for September
I'm current in October
basically everything is ready (still waiting for the DV fee invoice my account was charged on Aug 5). thanks for the spreadsheet really help,
as I read here the recommendation is to wait for September and send it so ill wait.
few questions
  1. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (11,7) in the AOS package should I write different check to each or one check for all of us ?
  2. should I add cover letter that will describe what include in the package 4 persons lot of paper work ?
  3. bank statements should be the last 3 month ?
  4. Should i add G-1145 for all of us or just for the principal applicant ?
  5. should i add G-325 for the kids (7,11) i read on the I-485 instructions only kids 14 and older need it.
when I wrote it look very stupid questions sorry about that but i don't want to get rejected because I didn't ask it

Thanks

DOS published Visa Bulletin for September
I'm current in October
basically everything is ready (still waiting for the DV fee invoice my account was charged on Aug 5). thanks for the spreadsheet really help,
as I read here the recommendation is to wait for September and send it so ill wait.
few questions
  1. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (11,7) in the AOS package should I write different check to each or one check for all of us ?
  2. should I add cover letter that will describe what include in the package 4 persons lot of paper work ?
  3. bank statements should be the last 3 month ?
  4. Should i add G-1145 for all of us or just for the principal applicant ?
  5. should i add G-325 for the kids (7,11) i read on the I-485 instructions only kids 14 and older need it.
when I wrote it look very stupid questions sorry about that but i don't want to get rejected because I didn't ask it

Thanks

Congratulations on being current. NO, your questions are not stupid, it is better to ask questions and get the needed guidance than for your application to get denied or returned due to some minor error that could have been avoided. To answer your questions:

1. It is better to write 4 checks, one per person.

2. You may do so if you like, but I personally think it's irrelevant.

3. That should be fine.

4. Everyone must have the G-1145 form

5. Even though children under 14 will not be doing finger prints, they still need to submit the G-325 form with their application. They will still go to the biometric appointment to get their pictures taken, so make sure you include the form for your kids.

Those of you who already submitted you DS-260s, How long did it take to hear back from KCC (2nd NL)? Somehow I assumed it would be a matter of days but I now realize it takes much longer than that...