• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winners from Sri Lanka

Hi all,

My visa was refused by the colombo embassy on 12th of august due to technical fault i did during the online application process on 2012. According to the embassy, i must add my ex-wife & son's details to the application even the divorced case was ongoing at the courts. we got the final decision by courts on october 2013. Due to this matter , they denied my case. i was so upset since i have all the other paper qualifications.

I have a one question, in the refusal letter, they have not tick a reason for my refusal. but, the counselor told my verbally the reason. Can anybody explain this ?. any chance to appeal ?.

So confused...................

Lakshan.

It sounds like you entered as divorced or single at the time of the eDV entry. In that case, no, the refusal is correct and final. You ave to answer the questions correctly with the truth at that time, not what you think the truth will be later.

My dv lottery visa journey 2014 - Colombo, Sri Lanka

Hi All,

I have looked at this forum a million times throughout my journey and have found it sooo amazingly helpful I thought I would share my experience in the hopes that it might help some people. my special thanks to these members, Britsimon, SusieQQQ, Lionhawk, mandb, samlanka, and lakshanpereraa for their support and encouragement provided through this process.

Pre-Interview

In My case I was very nervous to getting the documents on time because I knew that qualifying on work experience is very difficult (I didn't have A/L but I have a BSc (Hons) degree (UK) + 2 years and 5 months of work experience as a Software Engineer. )

So I compiled some very important documents (evidence) for my interview,

1. My BSc Degree certificate and Transcript
2. British council Sri Lanka verification for my degree certificate and transcript (Certification of UK qualifications)
3. Letter from my employer explaining about my job role, responsibilities & etc.
4. Recommendation letter from my senior Manager (Seiner Software Engineer)
5. My job appointment letter (It has my stating salary, job title and etc.)

Interview Day

My Interview was scheduled on 14th of August @ 1.00pm. On the day of interview, I went to the embassy at 12.30pm. About 10 persons were waiting. At 1.45pm I was called to give my documents, later finger prints and pay the visa fee. It took may be 20 - 30 minutes. Then I waited for about 10 minutes before to be called to the window by a very friendly male officer for interview. The interview itself lasted less than 5 minutes.

CO: Raise your right hand ... do you swear to tell the truth n ..nothing but the truth?
ME: I did.
CO: asked me to sign the DS230 form
CO: Do you have A/L ?
ME: Answered
CO: Where did you get your bachelor from?
CO: What's your current job?
CO: What's your current salary?
CO: After that he took a yellow paper and wrote the name with visa collection date and told congratulation, you are qualified on your education and also with your work experience. You can collect your visa on next week.
ME: thanks.

I walked out of the doors at 2.30pm. It was such a quick and easy process. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was.

My dv lottery visa journey 2014 - Colombo, Sri Lanka

Hi All,

I have looked at this forum a million times throughout my journey and have found it sooo amazingly helpful I thought I would share my experience in the hopes that it might help some people. my special thanks to these members, Britsimon, SusieQQQ, Lionhawk, mandb, samlanka, and lakshanpereraa for their support and encouragement provided through this process.

Pre-Interview

In My case I was very nervous to getting the documents on time because I knew that qualifying on work experience is very difficult (I didn't have A/L but I have a BSc (Hons) degree (UK) + 2 years and 5 months of work experience as a Software Engineer. )

So I compiled some very important documents (evidence) for my interview,

1. My BSc Degree certificate and Transcript
2. British council Sri Lanka verification for my degree certificate and transcript (Certification of UK qualifications)
3. Letter from my employer explaining about my job role, responsibilities & etc.
4. Recommendation letter from my senior Manager (Seiner Software Engineer)
5. My job appointment letter (It has my stating salary, job title and etc.)

Interview Day

My Interview was scheduled on 14th of August @ 1.00pm. On the day of interview, I went to the embassy at 12.30pm. About 10 persons were waiting. At 1.45pm I was called to give my documents, later finger prints and pay the visa fee. It took may be 20 - 30 minutes. Then I waited for about 10 minutes before to be called to the window by a very friendly male officer for interview. The interview itself lasted less than 5 minutes.

CO: Raise your right hand ... do you swear to tell the truth n ..nothing but the truth?
CO: asked me to sign the DS230 form
CO: Do you have A/L ?
CO: Where did you get your bachelor from?
CO: What's your current job?
CO: What's your current salary?
CO: After that he took a yellow paper and wrote the name with visa collection date and told congratulation, you are qualified on your education and also with your work experience. You can collect your visa on next week.
ME: thanks.

I walked out of the doors at 2.30pm. It was such a quick and easy process. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was.

Hi SampathSL

I am from Sri lanka & our interview is last week of August.

May I know precisely below answers. this is not the polite way to asking question but sorry for that buddy.

Have you done A/L's Or not ?
Did you fail the A/L's ?

Hi SampathSL

I am from Sri lanka & our interview is last week of August.

May I know precisely below answers. this is not the polite way to asking question but sorry for that buddy.

Have you done A/L's Or not ?
Did you fail the A/L's ?

Hey Nav2014,

It's ok macho asking about my A/L. the answer to your question is, yes I did my A/L in year 2006 on maths stream. but end result is only one pass.

after that I joined a local IT Institute, that is accredited by one of the top ranked UK University plus approved by Sri Lanka UGC and got my bachelor.

Hey Nav2014,

It's ok macho asking about my A/L. the answer to your question is, yes I did my A/L in year 2006 on maths stream. but end result is only one pass.

after that I joined a local IT Institute, that is accredited by one of the top ranked UK University plus approved by Sri Lanka UGC and got my bachelor.

Thanks for the info Sampath.

who is checking the documents ? same CO or different member .

Is different member is he rough ?

How much did you pay for embassy ? Rs:44600 or ?

do you think Any high chance for families ? such as children's

On my interview day there was a Sri Lankan lady who checked the documents. For me she is a nice person but she's went through every detail on my documents specially on the work experience letter and I - 134. I saw same thing happened to others.

Yes. fee is LKR 44,600/-

On my day there was family (Father, Mother and two sons) came to the interview. the lady who checked their documents told them that one of their son is over 21 and he might not get the visa. That was the only thing I saw, related to families who came on that day.

if your documents are ok, you don't need to worry about other things like family or single.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Can you please share your experiances in doing the Medical test and Vaccination in Sri Lanka? What types of medical examinations to be going through....

tnx

Under unavoidable circumstances I was not able to sit for the interview on 12-08-2014
can i rescheduling a new interview date from Consular ?

Under unavoidable circumstances I was not able to sit for the interview on 12-08-2014

You should be asking them not the forum.
At this late stage not all consulates can reschedule, and more seriously you may have lost your visa number by missing the interview. Did you tell the consulate you would not be able to be at the interview beforehand?

If you don't reschedule the interview before your interview date and time (inform to your consult before the interview about your unavailability). you lost your chance.

Hi Guys,

Can you please share your experiances in doing the Medical test and Vaccination in Sri Lanka? What types of medical examinations to be going through....

tnx

Doing the medical test is a very straightforward thing. once you go there (before that make a appointment with the doctor) you have to present your Interview letter to the receptionist and then she will tell you,
1st pay the doctor changes
2nd get the blood test
3rd get the x-ray (chest area).

after that you have to wait for the physical examination from doctor.
this will take 10-15 minutes. at end of the medical examination doctor will prescribe the vaccines. to get the vaccines, you have go to the Asiri Medical hospital they also give you a Vaccination card bring that back to the Asiri Surgical Hospital.

This is the whole process.

On my interview day there was a Sri Lankan lady who checked the documents. For me she is a nice person but she's went through every detail on my documents specially on the work experience letter and I - 134. I saw same thing happened to others.

Yes. fee is LKR 44,600/-

On my day there was family (Father, Mother and two sons) came to the interview. the lady who checked their documents told them that one of their son is over 21 and he might not get the visa. That was the only thing I saw, related to families who came on that day.

if your documents are ok, you don't need to worry about other things like family or single.

Thanks brother.

Doing the medical test is a very straightforward thing. once you go there (before that make a appointment with the doctor) you have to present your Interview letter to the receptionist and then she will tell you,
1st pay the doctor changes
2nd get the blood test
3rd get the x-ray (chest area).

after that you have to wait for the physical examination from doctor.
this will take 10-15 minutes. at end of the medical examination doctor will prescribe the vaccines. to get the vaccines, you have go to the Asiri Medical hospital they also give you a Vaccination card bring that back to the Asiri Surgical Hospital.

This is the whole process.

Thanks Sampath for the comments.

What type of blood test will they do....

Thanks

Hi,

What is your experience in finding Sponsor. What do the embassy expecting from the sponsor. Apart from the sponsor do we need to show any money in our bank accounts...

thanks

Hi,

What is your experience in finding Sponsor. What do the embassy expecting from the sponsor. Apart from the sponsor do we need to show any money in our bank accounts...

thanks
If you have someone who is willing and capable to sponsor you and declare his/her tax and income information, you don't have to worry. The whole idea is having a sponsor is that you will not become a public charge once you go to US. Sponsor should take the responsibility if you become a public charge. Local bank accounts or money will not be accepted.

Hi Sampath,

I believe your are the person to solve my problem because i also face this type of issue.
I am one of the DV2015 winner from Srilanka.
My qualification and experience are below

1)A/L- Maths 3 pass but not one sitting ( 2 subjects in same year & other one subject next year)
2)Completed Diploma in Technology- ( Open University of Srilanka, Nawala)
3) Also have around 9Yrs experience( Last 3 years as a Asst.IT Manager)

First i want to find out is enough my A/L qualification? else, please advice how can i prepare for interview?
one month before i sent a mail to SL Embassy about this issue but still no reply.

Hi Rnagan8001,

I personally think you should be ok with your educational qualification.

Qualifying on work experience is very difficult but not impossible. According to the Onet Directory IT Managers are require a Bachelor's degree (http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/11-3021.00) but some do not. So have some proofs also prepared.

ie:
1. Diploma / Degree certificate
2. Letter from employer explaining about job role, responsibilities & etc.
3. Letter from senior Manager / supervisor (Recommendation letter)​

It sounds like you entered as divorced or single at the time of the eDV entry. In that case, no, the refusal is correct and final. You ave to answer the questions correctly with the truth at that time, not what you think the truth will be later.

Hi Britsimon

I am a DV2015 winner (4 members), I already submitted my DS260 with old password detail, and last week I got new passport for all of us (our passports are expiring by Feb 2015). How can I change the passport detail in DS260.

Last edited:
Hi Britsimon

I am a DV2015 winner (4 members), I already submitted my DS260 with old password detail, and last week I got new passport for all of us (our passports are expiring by Feb 2015). How can I change the passport detail in DS260.

Thanks
Hafeel

You can email KCC if you like, but the passport information being updated is not an issue...