• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 Winner Entry to US and get SSN(Social Security Number)

kajarn

Registered Users (C)
Hi , I got the DV lottery visa 2 months before and the last date of arrive is 10th 0f October 2014 according to my visa in passport. But i bought the ticket of 7th october 2014 and will arrive US on 8th October 2014(2 days before last date of arrival) due to some reasons. So i would like to know.. does it affect to my visa and about getting Social security number after arriving visa.. I heard we have to be in US atleast 15 days before expiration of arrival otherwise we wont get SSN and greencard. Please help me out with this problem..

What you heard about the 15 days before visa expiration in order to get the SSN is bull crap. However, hope you're aware of the risk you're running leaving your departure date so late. If for some reason you flight get's cancelled, diverted, delayed, etc for whatever reason and you end up stepping into the US a day after the expiration date, you will not be allowed in.

Hi , I got the DV lottery visa 2 months before and the last date of arrive is 10th 0f October 2014 according to my visa in passport. But i bought the ticket of 7th october 2014 and will arrive US on 8th October 2014(2 days before last date of arrival) due to some reasons. So i would like to know.. does it affect to my visa and about getting Social security number after arriving visa.. I heard we have to be in US atleast 15 days before expiration of arrival otherwise we wont get SSN and greencard. Please help me out with this problem..

I personally wouldn't have left the travel that late just in case of flight cancellations etc, but in terms of having a problem arriving 2 days before the visa expiry that won't cause an issue (I'm assuming medicals will still be unexpired).

I've never heard anything about the 15 days thing - so that doesn't really make sense and I know SusieQQQ entered pretty late (later than the 15 days window) and she had no issues.

I personally wouldn't have left the travel that late just in case of flight cancellations etc, but in terms of having a problem arriving 2 days before the visa expiry that won't cause an issue (I'm assuming medicals will still be unexpired).

I've never heard anything about the 15 days thing - so that doesn't really make sense and I know SusieQQQ entered pretty late (later than the 15 days window) and she had no issues.
In this case , r u sure if i arrive just 3-4 days before the date of arrival expirer( It is just date of arrival actually not the visa expires..) but i know arrival is primary here.. And may be you know about getting SSN as well.. Do we have to apply for it (SSN)before date of arrival to US or before our visa expires.. I have 1 year visa but last date of entry is 10th october..and i will be arriving on 8th october...

In this case , r u sure if i arrive just 3-4 days before the date of arrival expirer( It is just date of arrival actually not the visa expires..) but i know arrival is primary here.. And may be you know about getting SSN as well.. Do we have to apply for it (SSN)before date of arrival to US or before our visa expires.. I have 1 year visa but last date of entry is 10th october..and i will be arriving on 8th october...

Confusing. You said you got the DV visa 2 months ago and the expiry date is Oct 10. Then you said it is a 1 year visa. The visa should be an I-551. It is normally valid for 6 months - meaning you have to enter within that time. If it says a shorter time (because of a medical for example) then that is the critical time.

Once you enter the USA ion the I551 it will THEN have a 12 month validity - it acts as your entry document showing you are an LPR, but of course you would normally have the Green Card well within that 12 months.

The SSN does not have to be applied for by the expiry date. Once you have activated your LPR status (by entering the USA) you are entitled to a SSN. You can apply for that when you like, although some people have the SSN processed via their DV paperwork. Either way - pop down the Social Security Administration office to sort that out once you have entered. THey need an address to send you the card (and you need an accurate address when you enter on Oct 8th also - because that is where your GC will be sent.

Last edited:
Confusing. You said you got the DV visa 2 months ago and the expiry date is Oct 10. Then you said it is a 1 year visa. The visa should be an I-551. It is normally valid for 6 months - meaning you have to enter within that time. If it says a shorter time (because of a medical for example) then that is the critical time.

Once you enter the USA ion the I551 it will THEN have a 12 month validity - it acts as your entry document showing you are an LPR, but of course you would normally have the Green Card well within that 12 months.

The SSN does not have to be applied for by the expiry date. Once you have activated your LPR status (by entering the USA) you are entitled to a SSN. You can apply for that when you like, although some people have the SSN processed via their DV paperwork. Either way - pop down the Social Security Administration office to sort that out once you have entered. THey need an address to send you the card (and you need an accurate address when you enter on Oct 8th also - because that is where your GC will be sent.

Thank you. Your 1st paragraph explained my situation and visa type. May be i explained you in other way.
So u mean i can apply for SSN after i arrive US(even after arrival date expires). So will it be ok if i arrive just 3-4 days before the last date. For that i have to change my flight date to bit early date..

I agree a couple of days is cutting it fine.
To add to what Simon said, we arrived 5 days before expiry. Even on the last day is technically fine but as said risky in terms of possible delays etc.
Once you enter the country you are a lawful permanent resident and your visa expiry date becomes meaningless... Whether one day or five months to expiry.
If you ticked the box on the form for SSN it should arrive automatically and quite quickly, I think ours took a week or just over a week. The green cards usually take 1-2 months to arrive but your stamped visa becomes a temporary green card (I551) for a year after you enter.

Hi...I m really thankful to britsimon, suspension, momo.. n many others for my visa journey.I won dvlottery 14 n I am in Us at the moment .I arrived in June 26.
My problem is, I was abt to get the job bt the employer asked me for green card number which I don't have since it takes time.so the employer told me to come back after I get my green card number.
However in the next job which I have not started yet, there is the requirement of atleast showing i551 stamp on passport..
Is this the same stamp which we get on the 1st entry to Us?
I mean the stamp for temporary green card?
Plj help me out..i don't want to lose this job.plj

Hi...I m really thankful to britsimon, suspension, momo.. n many others for my visa journey.I won dvlottery 14 n I am in Us at the moment .I arrived in June 26.
My problem is, I was abt to get the job bt the employer asked me for green card number which I don't have since it takes time.so the employer told me to come back after I get my green card number.
However in the next job which I have not started yet, there is the requirement of atleast showing i551 stamp on passport..
Is this the same stamp which we get on the 1st entry to Us?
I mean the stamp for temporary green card?
Plj help me out..i don't want to lose this job.plj

Congratulations and welcome to the US. Yes, the stamped visa on your passport is the I-551 stamp the employer is talking about. It got validated when you entered the US and has become your temporary GC, it is valid for one year and can be used in place of the plastic GC.

Regarding your SSN, you should actually go to the nearest social security administrative office to confirm that your social security number has been ordered. They can write out the number for you if it has been ordered and you can always give this number to your employer.

Regarding your SSN, you should actually go to the nearest social security administrative office to confirm that your social security number has been ordered. They can write out the number for you if it has been ordered and you can always give this number to your employer.

Just to share our experience on SSN.

We have been waiting our SSN for over two weeks after our arrival at US, thought it will automatically appear in our mail box.

After reading Mom's suggestion, we decided to stop by our local social security administrative office this morning, and found that there is NO RECORD regarding our SSN application.

So we fill out a new application right away, and hopefully we can receive SSN in two weeks.

T
Congratulations and welcome to the US. Yes, the stamped visa on your passport is the I-551 stamp the employer is talking about. It got validated when you entered the US and has become your temporary GC, it is valid for one year and can be used in place of the plastic GC.

Thank u so much..N could u plj give me some idea whn will I receive my green card (approx date)...if I paid fee on June 4 2014 n arrived in Usa on 24th June 2014.
Thank u in advance. .

T

Thank u so much..N could u plj give me some idea whn will I receive my green card (approx date)...if I paid fee on June 4 2014 n arrived in Usa on 24th June 2014.
Thank u in advance. .

The plastic GC could take somewhere between 1-2 months to arrive, so expect to receive it sometime betweenJuly and August 2014.