• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Ac

Thank you Britsimon for your thoughtful reply, your sense of humor, and the good advice and encouragement you provided in this forum. Mom's advice and explanations too are beyond valuable. I'm grateful to you all!
You're right the information I got here was worth even more than 10 times the lawyer fees. I shared my experience so others can learn from my mistake and not repeat it.

Best,

Congratulations Betty, and thank you for acknowledging us. Do enjoy your new LPR status!!

Hey guys
So I had my interview and I think it went great but still hanging in there. Was sworn in, passport taken and I-94. Was asked every question on my I- 485 with eye contact from what's your name blah blah.Unfortunately no decision was made cause I was called in to do my interview before my biometrics. Per Officer check your case status online as I can't make a decision today since I need your background check first. Officer then arranged for me to do my bio that same day at FO. Any idea how long biometrics take? Officer then told me if I haven't received response by sept 14 to call her and provided number. Asked abt visa availability, checked on the system was told there still many no need to worry I'll have one. Keeping fingers crossed and for those going for interviews all the best and relax. It will be over before you know it. Thanks again and will keep you updated with my decision.

You most certainly had an IO highly knowledge in DV processing. Bio results could be anywhere between 1 - 2 weeks. Looks like your IO is on top of things, it's a good thing she also gave you her phone number. I'm thinking you should see CPO as your online status sometime this week, unless something shows up with your background check. Hopefully, that will not be the case.

Hang tight, you're almost there.

Hey Guys, we just got our welcome letters Todays saying that Congratulations and card will be mailed in 90 days. What?! o_O is this really take that long to get a card? What do You think is usually takes?
Also I have 2 questions, I am not sure if You will know the answers but usually You knows everything ;D! When I will be travelling next year outside the US what do I need to have with me to easly get back? Just my country passport and a Green Card?
When I will have my GC on hand I will windraw my Asylum application. Do You know how cancel this application? And where? Probably on paper, not on the phone. It will not effect my LPR status right? Thanks!

No it doesn't take that long, that's just the standard wording.

You only need to show your GC to get back into the country, however since we're talking international trip, then you will need a valid passport too. Most airlines will not board you without a valid passport.

Send in a written request to USCIS indicating your intention to withdraw your asylum application AFTER receiving your GC. It should be done in written and be sure to keep a copy of the intent to withdraw letter you will be sending in. Also keep a record of where when it was sent and delivered and where it was sent to.

Declaration of Intent to withdraw an asylum application (pg 55, Sect III W)

http://www.asylumlaw.org/docs/united_states/affirmative_asylum_manual_appendices_022003.pdf#page55

You can call USCIS to confirm which address it needs to be mailed to.

You only need to show your GC to get back into the country, however since we're talking international trip, then you will need a valid passport too. Most airlines will not board you without a valid passport.

Send in a written request to USCIS indicating your intention to withdraw your asylum application AFTER receiving your GC. It should be done in written and be sure to keep a copy of the intent to withdraw letter you will be sending in. Also keep a record of where when it was sent and delivered and where it was sent to.

http://www.asylumlaw.org/docs/united_states/affirmative_asylum_manual_appendices_022003.pdf#page55

I did not follow his case and therefore am unsure where he would get his passport renewed, in case he is a refugee without possibility of consular support from his home country. In case this should be the case, he still would need to follow through with his asylum case, I guess, in order to become recognized as refugee here in the US.

Will the asylum application not lapse automatically on green card issuance? I was told that other petitions lapsed after a successful DV case, We never formally withdrew the petition in place for our family but when I checked after our immigrant visa was issued, the family petition case number then showed as an invalid one.

Will the asylum application not lapse automatically on green card issuance? I was told that other petitions lapsed after a successful DV case, We never formally withdrew the petition in place for our family but when I checked after our immigrant visa was issued, the family petition case number then showed as an invalid one.
I am just wondering who is issuing/renewing passports and providing other consular services in these case, before US citizenship?

I did not follow his case and therefore am unsure where he would get his passport renewed, in case he is a refugee without possibility of consular support from his home country. In case this should be the case, he still would need to follow through with his asylum case, I guess, in order to become recognized as refugee here in the US.

You're assuming the asylum case was/is most likely going to be approved.

Regarding the passport, it sounds like the OP still has a valid one, the OP did allude to having a passport in their post. Has to what to do when that expires, it's something the OP has to figure out on their own, or simply wait until they become a USC before undertaking another trip outside of the country.

Yes you were told right, and the IO should have informed the OP at the time of their interview about closing the asylum case. This apparently wasn't done since the IO wasn't approving the DV based AOS at the time of the interview. IMO, it is a wise decision to formally close an asylum application, rather than leaving it to lapse like most other petitions would naturally do.

You're assuming the asylum case was/is most likely going to be approved.

Regarding the passport, it sounds like the OP still has a valid one, the OP did allude to having a passport in their post. Has to what to do when that expires, it's something the OP has to figure out on their own, or simply wait until they become a USC before undertaking another trip outside of the country.
Yes, I am sure you are right with the above assessment. That sucks, yet probably still better than the alternative... :confused:

Last edited:
I am just wondering who is issuing/renewing passports and providing other consular services in these case, before US citizenship?

I don't know but I always understood an asylee would have difficulty getting a passport from the home country anyway. And that a condition of being granted refugee status is that you do not travel back to the country that you have escaped persecution in. Which I imagine would also make for a rather uncomfortable visit to the local embassy to renew a passport. Iow it may be easier rather than harder to renew a passport having been granted a DV visa rather than a refugee one.

Thank You so much! The passport You said is from my country right? US passport I can have only when I am US citizen correct?

Asylum and refugee are two different things I think. I have current passport from my country, I renewed last year here in US in our country embassy. Now is valid for 10 years.

Last edited:
I
Since we now got our LPR status, we are permanent residents in US. But we still citizens of our home country. And we will probably keep both citizenships if we will apply for one in USA. All other services for us provide our country embassy which is here close in LA.

Last edited:

Btw I clicked in above link You gave me (which I thank You so much!) but I can not find a sentence in menu saying Asylum Cancellation. Can You tell me which page it is?

Asylum and refugee are two different things I think. I have current passport from my country, I renewed last year here in US in our country embassy. Now is valid for 10 years.

Well, if your passport is valid for more than five years you are fine (assuming you will apply tonaturalize in five years).

It is a strange case to me as asylum usually means you need to flee the country and can't go back but you seem to be on good enough terms with it... Any way it doesn't matter anymore as you have your green card now.

Well, if your passport is valid for more than five years you are fine (assuming you will apply tonaturalize in five years).

It is a strange case to me as asylum usually means you need to flee the country and can't go back but you seem to be on good enough terms with it... Any way it doesn't matter anymore as you have your green card now.
Yes, 10 years. And I can always extend here for more after that. Asylum not always mean You are running away from a country as a country. You can run away from many different prosecution types not always related with a country as a government etc. Anyway You right it does not matter any more.

Btw I clicked in above link You gave me (which I thank You so much!) but I can not find a sentence in menu saying Asylum Cancellation. Can You tell me which page it is?

It's there in the table of content. I also stated where to find it in my previous post. Look at Section III W in the table of content or go to page 55 of the document itself.

I

Since we now got our LPR status, we are permanent residents in US. But we still citizens of our home country. And we will probably keep both citizenships if we will apply for one in USA. All other services for us provide our country embassy which is here close in LA.

The important thing is that you have your LPR status. Whatever form of persecution you were running away from is personal to you, seeking asylum here in the US was a choice which you had the right to exercise.

All of that doesn't matter anymore, your situation is better than good now and you can still avail yourself the protection of your home country by using your passport to travel since your LPR status isn't asylum based (using the passport of your home country to travel after being granted an asylum in the US is considered availing yourself the protection of your home country). Keep and use the passport for as long as you want and enjoy your new life in the US!