• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

my sister checked the mailbox today, and no sign of the interview letter :( monday is a holiday, and tuesday is already sept 2! it's getting more and more intense for her. here is her current situation:

1. last friday, she called USCIS, and the L2 officer on the phone told her that no DV file nor AOS file in the system.
2. it's kinda weird because a KCC staff told her on the phone around mid aug that her file was sent on aug 4.
3. she also got a letter from the congressman's office saying that they contacted USCIS and it would take about 2 weeks for USCIS to respond.
4. she has an info pass on sept 3. i am not sure how it will help, but she plans to make expedite request for the interview.
5. well, what if she gets an interview without DV and AOS files or the complete background check? will she be put on AP and lose the reserved visa slot?

1. Call USCIS and ask for an expedite first thing Tuesday morning based on the sunset of DV and take the confirmation to the infopass
2. L2 officer should see your sister's AOS and BIO by now. it's something to mention during your infopass
3. Explain to the USCIS officer that the number of visas for Asia is running out and getting an interview late in Sep would be very risky
4. Ask your sister to remain polite and firm at the same time when making her case
5. In case the USCIS officer does not resolve your issue, ask to speak with a supervisor
6. The optimal case would be to get the interview date set this Tuesday

Good luck and don't lose hope:)

Reactions: CWH
my sister checked the mailbox today, and no sign of the interview letter :( monday is a holiday, and tuesday is already sept 2! it's getting more and more intense for her. here is her current situation:

1. last friday, she called USCIS, and the L2 officer on the phone told her that no DV file nor AOS file in the system.
2. it's kinda weird because a KCC staff told her on the phone around mid aug that her file was sent on aug 4.
3. she also got a letter from the congressman's office saying that they contacted USCIS and it would take about 2 weeks for USCIS to respond.
4. she has an info pass on sept 3. i am not sure how it will help, but she plans to make expedite request for the interview.
5. well, what if she gets an interview without DV and AOS files or the complete background check? will she be put on AP and lose the reserved visa slot?

The fact that she got a NOA, an assigned A#, got to do a bio and has a case number means she has an AOS application is the system. Not sure precisely what transpired with whoever she spoke it or why or why they told her she has no AOS application in the system. Also a L2 officer will not be able to tell her wether her file from KCC has been received or not.

Your sister doesn't seem to have a clue on what to say or what follow-up questions to ask when she makes contact. The fact that you've posting and asking questions on her behalf hasn't been of help to her IMO.

Finally, nobody gets interviewed without a DV file being received by the FO. Since Sept is the last month of the FY, most FOs make all the necessary efforts to get DV cases adjudicated once the case is scheduled for an interview in that month. All your sister has to focus on when she goes for her info is getting scheduled for an interview.

The fact that she got a NOA, an assigned A#, got to do a bio and has a case number means she has an AOS application is the system. Not sure precisely what transpired with whoever she spoke it or why or why they told her she has no AOS application in the system. Also a L2 officer will not be able to tell her wether her file from KCC has been received or not.

Your sister doesn't seem to have a clue on what to say or what follow-up questions to ask when she makes contact. The fact that you've posting and asking questions on her behalf hasn't been of help to her IMO.

Finally, nobody gets interviewed without a DV file being received by the FO. Since Sept is the last month of the FY, most FOs make all the necessary efforts to get DV cases adjudicated once the case is scheduled for an interview in that month. All your sister has to focus on when she goes for her info is getting scheduled for an interview.
ask your sister to do as Mom said:)

if you are more knowledgeable about the process than your sister, I suggest you accompany her to the infopass

1. Make sure you are talking about the same thing. Some FOs and IOs know how to process DV cases, but plenty don't. If your sister doesn't know either that is going to result in a lot of confusion - the blind leading the blind.
2. Evidence of the confusion.
3. That might well be true - but some people have had faster reaction after the congressperson intervened. Some have been little/no help.
4. She must go with a clear plan of action. She must know what is left to do and how will those things get done.
5. There is good news and bad news. The good news is that she won't lose the visa reserved for her. The bad news is that aos cases don't have a visa reserved in the first place.

I agree with the points made above. Your sister needs to take responsibility for her own case or at the very least should have you at the infopass.

When you attend the infopass, make sure to bring all the documents needed for an interview. I don't remember who it was but someone in this forum went to FO to query his/her case. They realized their mistake and immediately took him/her to the interview that day.

OK. I found it. This is the guy who got the unexpected interview.

This is my first post here in this forum. I had already filed my application before seeing this forum and out of the frustration that usually follows the long waiting waiting and waiting I found this forum. But from my experience so far, I would advise @MK999 and every expectant permanent resident out there that there is no need to panic if you are already current up until August at least. The receipt of a case number almost certainly means there is a VISA number reserved for you and unless you screw up eventually, it is certain that you will get approved for your Green Card.

Here is my story........
I got my Green Card today (it was indeed Green :D:D:D:D) and validity date on it is from the date my adjustment of status package was received. I had my biometrics mid June and was waiting like every other person for the almighty interview letter (I eventually didn't get one, LOL). Then sometimes in July, I scheduled an infopass to my FO for ending of July. On getting there, the lady looked at my case and asked me if I was ready for an interview there and then. I was hesitant at first, thinking that I didn't have all the required documentation. I later grabbed the opportunity. I had my interview 30mins later and it was a short one just like every other person had confirmed here in this forum. And to cut the long story short, today I now have my green card.

Here is my "little understanding" of the entire AOS process (all due respect to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon).
1. Your file is sent to your FO after your data has been entered into the system (i.e. the moment you have a receipt number and you can track your application.)

2. Whether or not you have your biometrics taken, you are due for an interview after step 1. (this is because I was asked if I had taken my biometrics when I went for the interview)

3. If you have not taken your biometrics as at the time of your interview, this can be done for you at your FO.

4. Anytime you schedule an infopass appointment, prepare for it like you are preparing for your interview, go with all the supporting documents you have (you never know, you might have your interview that day, it happened to me).

5. For those who think VISAs get exhausted, VISAs don't get exhausted. I think there are Visas available for every number that ranked below the number given in the Visa bulletin. Here is why - I had a couple of infopass visits and from the conversation I had with the immigration officers I have come to this conclusion - Everyone who can do AOS will eventually get a Visa number (unless they screw up something before the sept 30 deadline).

Finally, I'd implore everyone to stay calm. Schedule an infopass ASAP try to see if you can get them to schedule you for interview. Ask questions about why your processing is being delayed etc...Good luck to you guys

Cheers everyone

We have a user in this thread named Aria. His status changed to CP about 5 months after his interview. Does anybody know what the problem was with his case? I am wondering if he also had the unfinished background check issue. Yesterday, I sent him a PM but I think he doesn't check his forum inbox anymore!

Like what I wrote for you yesterday, to my knowledge, the delay was related to IO's and the supervisor's misunderstandings of the Memos and DV regulations.
I am writing this reply in the case if someone in the forum is interested to know the answer to your post.

Hey Guys, we just got our welcome letters Todays saying that Congratulations and card will be mailed in 90 days. What?! o_O is this really take that long to get a card? What do You think is usually takes?
Also I have 2 questions, I am not sure if You will know the answers but usually You knows everything ;D! When I will be travelling next year outside the US what do I need to have with me to easly get back? Just my country passport and a Green Card?
When I will have my GC on hand I will windraw my Asylum application. Do You know how cancel this application? And where? Probably on paper, not on the phone. It will not effect my LPR status right? Thanks!

thank you guys for your input. my sister has been following this thread closely, and i always share any information i know or heard of with her too. to clarify the matter a little bit, she called USCIS to ask whether the FO had already had her DV and AOS files and the L2 officer on the phone said that she could not find the records of those files in the system. so i am not sure whether in general, the system would not make any record of the arrival of those files into the system or those files have not arrived the FO yet.

definitely, she will need to be well prepared on her sept 3 info pass and the following is her checklist for the info pass:

1. print out the sunset of DV document so it might come in handy during the info pass
2. make sure to check whether the FO has her DV file, AOS file
3. also check whether the background check has been completed
4. make expedite request for USCIS to request DV and AOS files, if not already.
5. ask the IO whether there are anything else that prevent her from having an interview appointment.
6. take all her documents with her for the info pass just in case she might be able to have an interview the same day (hopefully).
7. positive attitude and be polite and firm during the info pass.

by the way, will i be able to attend the info pass with her?

thank you guys for your input. my sister has been following this thread closely, and i always share any information i know or heard of with her too. to clarify the matter a little bit, she called USCIS to ask whether the FO had already had her DV and AOS files and the L2 officer on the phone said that she could not find the records of those files in the system. so i am not sure whether in general, the system would not make any record of the arrival of those files into the system or those files have not arrived the FO yet.

definitely, she will need to be well prepared on her sept 3 info pass and the following is her checklist for the info pass:

1. print out the sunset of DV document so it might come in handy during the info pass
2. make sure to check whether the FO has her DV file, AOS file
3. also check whether the background check has been completed
4. make expedite request for USCIS to request DV and AOS files, if not already.
5. ask the IO whether there are anything else that prevent her from having an interview appointment.
6. take all her documents with her for the info pass just in case she might be able to have an interview the same day (hopefully).
7. positive attitude and be polite and firm during the info pass.

by the way, will i be able to attend the info pass with her?

Okay help me understand better what happened during the call. Your sister called USCIS and asked the person who took the call about her case file or she asked the person who answered the call to transfer her following which the new person that came on the line (possibly after waiting for a long time for the transfer to go through)? Sorry if I seem to be over flogging this issue, I'm just try to understand what was meant by they couldn't find the record in the system. The truth is even if the AOS file hadn't been transferred to her FO, they would have been able to tell her her package is still at the NBC.

1. Yes
2.Yes
3. Yes
4. Expedite request is usually made on the phone by USCIS reps to the FO. She should simply ask how soon can she do the interview.
5. Yes, if not covered in 4
6. Yes
7. Yes

If you're not listed on the appointment notice, you will not be allowed to attend the infopass appointment with her.

Hi all

thanks to everyone who has generously contributed to this great forum. I’d like to share my experience with the DV process.

First, I’m happy to report that my family’s AOS application has been approved. I feel a big relief and I wish good luck for you all waiting for a good outcome.

We blindly followed the directions of our attorney who suggested not to send the DSP-122 nor DS-230. She even told us there was nothing to be done before our case becomes current in June! On the last week of May, she remembered that we needed to send the DV fees to the DOS and that she would start filing the AOS application once we receive the receipt. She also stressed that that the medical forms should not be signed by the civil surgeon before June 1st 2014. I started reading the posts on this forum, and discovered how much time we unnecessarily wasted. After a lot of pushing on our part, she filed the application on June 20th. Apparently, this was her first DV Lottery case and she ignored the importance of timing in this situation. Bio was scheduled on July 24th, but we walked in on July 3rd and had our fingerprints taken. (we saved 3 weeks). Our interview was scheduled on August 29th in Boston. Although we’ve been given 3 separate times, the IO called us all together. After going through the Yes/No answers of the I-485s and the biographic information on the G-325s, he was more focused on making sure that each of us maintained status in the US. Based on the information he had, he noticed a gap where he wasn’t sure that we were staying legally in US, so he asked us to provide evidence of legal status. Luckily we carried our previous passports with all the stamps, old passports, I-797s and even some previous I-94s, and answered all his questions related to proving we maintained status in the US. He was satisfied and approved our case.

I just want to stress the importance of being informed and prepared. Not all immigration lawyers know about DV Lottery. This forum is a great place to learn about the process so you become your own advocate.

Good luck!

Okay help me understand better what happened during the call. Your sister called USCIS and asked the person who took the call about her case file or she asked the person who answered the call to transfer her following which the new person that came on the line (possibly after waiting for a long time for the transfer to go through)? Sorry if I seem to be over flogging this issue, I'm just try to understand what was meant by they couldn't find the record in the system. The truth is even if the AOS file hadn't been transferred to her FO, they would have been able to tell her her package is still at the NBC.

1. Yes
2.Yes
3. Yes
4. Expedite request is usually made on the phone by USCIS reps to the FO. She should simply ask how soon can she do the interview.
5. Yes, if not covered in 4
6. Yes
7. Yes

If you're not listed on the appointment notice, you will not be allowed to attend the infopass appointment with her.

here is what was going on during the call:

she called USCIS and asked to talk to an L2 officer. she was told that she would have to wait at least 45 minutes for that. and while she was waiting on the line, an automated system said that she could choose to have the officer call back instead of waiting on the line. she chose for a callback and then hung up. 45 minutes later, she got a call from an L2 officer and the office verified her information (name, case no., DOB) which she provided to the staff on the phone with her 45 minutes earlier, and below was pretty much the conversation they had:

my sister: "i just want to check whether the AOS package has arrived at the field office yet."
L2 officer: "there is no AOS package and the DV file in the system"
my sister: "but i called KCC a while ago and one of the rep told me that the DV file was sent out on aug 4"
L2 office: "there is no file in the system yet. i don't know what i can check for you" (with a raised loud voice)
my sister: "what about my background check? could you please check whether it has been completed?"
L2 office: "there is no record of that either."

because of the officer's raised voice, she decided not to continue asking anymore questions.

mom, you mentioned that expedite request is usually done on the phone. will she be able to make one during the info pass if she could not have an interview scheduled?

Hi all

thanks to everyone who has generously contributed to this great forum. I’d like to share my experience with the DV process.

First, I’m happy to report that my family’s AOS application has been approved. I feel a big relief and I wish good luck for you all waiting for a good outcome.

We blindly followed the directions of our attorney who suggested not to send the DSP-122 nor DS-230. She even told us there was nothing to be done before our case becomes current in June! On the last week of May, she remembered that we needed to send the DV fees to the DOS and that she would start filing the AOS application once we receive the receipt. She also stressed that that the medical forms should not be signed by the civil surgeon before June 1st 2014. I started reading the posts on this forum, and discovered how much time we unnecessarily wasted. After a lot of pushing on our part, she filed the application on June 20th. Apparently, this was her first DV Lottery case and she ignored the importance of timing in this situation. Bio was scheduled on July 24th, but we walked in on July 3rd and had our fingerprints taken. (we saved 3 weeks). Our interview was scheduled on August 29th in Boston. Although we’ve been given 3 separate times, the IO called us all together. After going through the Yes/No answers of the I-485s and the biographic information on the G-325s, he was more focused on making sure that each of us maintained status in the US. Based on the information he had, he noticed a gap where he wasn’t sure that we were staying legally in US, so he asked us to provide evidence of legal status. Luckily we carried our previous passports with all the stamps, old passports, I-797s and even some previous I-94s, and answered all his questions related to proving we maintained status in the US. He was satisfied and approved our case.

I just want to stress the importance of being informed and prepared. Not all immigration lawyers know about DV Lottery. This forum is a great place to learn about the process so you become your own advocate.

Good luck!

Actually very few lawyers know anything about DV cases. About the only thing your lawyer did right was admit that this was her first DV case. How much did you pay to educate her??? I'm glad you had the good sense to investigate further and found this forum - I'm sure the info you got here, mostly from Mom, was worth 10 times the lawyers fees. Congratulations on being Green!

Last edited:

she called USCIS and asked to talk to an L2 officer. she was told that she would have to wait at least 45 minutes for that. and while she was waiting on the line, an automated system said that she could choose to have the officer call back instead of waiting on the line. she chose for a callback and then hung up. 45 minutes later, she got a call from an L2 officer and the office verified her information (name, case no., DOB) which she provided to the staff on the phone with her 45 minutes earlier, and below was pretty much the conversation they had:

my sister: "i just want to check whether the AOS package has arrived at the field office yet."
my sister: "but i called KCC a while ago and one of the rep told me that the DV file was sent out on aug 4"
L2 office: "there is no file in the system yet. i don't know what i can check for you" (with a raised loud voice)
my sister: "what about my background check? could you please check whether it has been completed?"

because of the officer's raised voice, she decided not to continue asking anymore questions.

mom, you mentioned that expedite request is usually done on the phone. will she be able to make one during the info pass if she could not have an interview scheduled?

The expedite request is made to get the FO to do something. In your case your sister may need them to request the file from KCC and then to schedule the interview. She doesn't really need to ask them to "expedite" because she is talking to them - so she just needs to ask them to request the file immediately and schedule the interview (or better yet - do it right then).

I think the L2 officer does not know whether your file has arrived at the the Chicago FO or not and he'she does not know whether you FO requested your file from KCC either.. that's a question you should ask you local FO. If I were you, I would go to the infopass and stop worrying about that phone conversation

Ac
Actually very few lawyers know anything about DV cases. About the only thing your lawyer did right was admit that this was her first DV case. How much did you pay to educate her??? I'm glad you had the good sense to investigate further and found this forum - I'm sure the info you got her, mostly from Mom, was worth 10 times the lawyers fees. Congratulations on being Green!
Thank you Britsimon for your thoughtful reply, your sense of humor, and the good advice and encouragement you provided in this forum. Mom's advice and explanations too are beyond valuable. I'm grateful to you all!
You're right the information I got here was worth even more than 10 times the lawyer fees. I shared my experience so others can learn from my mistake and not repeat it.

Best,

Hey Guys, we just got our welcome letters Todays saying that Congratulations and card will be mailed in 90 days. What?! o_Ois this really take that long to get a card? What do You think is usually takes?
Also I have 2 questions, I am not sure if You will know the answers but usually You knows everything ;D! When I will be travelling next year outside the US what do I need to have with me to easly get back? Just my country passport and a Green Card?
When I will have my GC on hand I will windraw my Asylum application. Do You know how cancel this application? And where? Probably on paper, not on the phone. It will not effect my LPR status right? Thanks!
Anyone? nicely pleeease :)

Hey guys
So I had my interview and I think it went great but still hanging in there. Was sworn in, passport taken and I-94. Was asked every question on my I- 485 with eye contact from what's your name blah blah.Unfortunately no decision was made cause I was called in to do my interview before my biometrics. Per Officer check your case status online as I can't make a decision today since I need your background check first. Officer then arranged for me to do my bio that same day at FO. Any idea how long biometrics take? Officer then told me if I haven't received response by sept 14 to call her and provided number. Asked abt visa availability, checked on the system was told there still many no need to worry I'll have one. Keeping fingers crossed and for those going for interviews all the best and relax. It will be over before you know it. Thanks again and will keep you updated with my decision.