• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Hi Mom,
I have some questions and concerns about the life after GC, can you give me source of information related with this.
Thank you

Because I don't believe in flogging a dead horse or arguing back and forth on the internet with people I most likely will never get to meet in life, I ordinarily wouldn't have bothered to respond to this post. But I do think the misconception being put across here needs to de dealt with for the sake of those who do not understand the DV process and may be led astray with this "miracles do happen" bit.

The truth is even if by some 'miracle' the application gets accepted and is forwarded to the the applicable FO (an act I would prefer to refer to as over-sight/error), no IO will go ahead and approve the case. There are checks and balances put in place to guard against such error. Approving an unqualified case is grounds for termination of employment for whoever approves it. This is not a case of human intervention or knowing people. Q.E.D!

In my opinion winning any lottery is nothing short of a miracle, incredibly good luck, chance, fate, or whatever you would like to call it.
The worst that can happen is that the package is returned, and it will be returned within a couple of days, without the cheques being cashed. Nothing lost, lots to gain. It could happen that a visa for that region becomes available during this time. Remember, as far as USA is concerned, the DV lottery is all about bringing in money. If visas become available at the last minute they will want them to be used up. Calculate the amount of revenue DV lottery brings in every year. This is exactly why they increased the number of selectees for DV 14, so they can make sure that every last visa is taken up and paid for.
By the way, why do you immediately take the stance that I am arguing with you when I express my view? I thought this was an open forum. Also, it's a great idea to familiarize oneself with netiquette.

Also, it's a great idea to familiarize oneself with netiquette.

Your idea of netiquette seems to be everyone agreeing with you, as you always seem to dredge this up with people who disagree :rolleyes:

Your idea of wining a lottery might be a miracle. Some people understand the concept of statistics. I guess ymmv.

Common sense might be useful too. Twisting the argument every time (so now suddenly visa numbers might become available becomes a rationale, after we had to point out before you can't get a visa without a visa number, when is what you had previously implied) doesn't work either. But yeah, he may as well send it in. It's exactly like those emails I get telling me I have won $1m in competitions I never entered.

Can we extend the definition of netiquette to not continuously spouting nonsense? At least here? There are plenty other places on the internet for that.

Last edited:
I don't intend to beat the dead horse, and I certainly do not intend it to be taken as a miracle, but apparently in the past it has happened that a DV case was adjudicated before being current. Obviously, that was only a mistake, and the guy were to become current eventually.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2014-aos-only.314548/page-101#post-2289711

Still, contrary to SAGIRL, I don't think there's much of a point in sending your package if your number is not below the final cut-off.

In my opinion winning any lottery is nothing short of a miracle, incredibly good luck, chance, fate, or whatever you would like to call it.
The worst that can happen is that the package is returned, and it will be returned within a couple of days, without the cheques being cashed. Nothing lost, lots to gain. It could happen that a visa for that region becomes available during this time. Remember, as far as USA is concerned, the DV lottery is all about bringing in money. If visas become available at the last minute they will want them to be used up. Calculate the amount of revenue DV lottery brings in every year. This is exactly why they increased the number of selectees for DV 14, so they can make sure that every last visa is taken up and paid for.
By the way, why do you immediately take the stance that I am arguing with you when I express my view? I thought this was an open forum. Also, it's a great idea to familiarize oneself with netiquette.

1) The odds of winning the DV lottery ranges between 0.5% to I think about 4% depending on the region. I wouldn't call those odds precisely a miracle! The odds of somebody mistakenly adjudicating a case is a lot less than that though.

2) The DV fee ($330 per person) and the Medical exam fees (about $400 per person) is lost.

3) DV is about bringing in diversity. If the US was after the money of immigrants, they had better ways to accomplish that, like by increasing the EB quota for highly skilled workers.

Hi Guys,
I am new here. My number became current in July. My attorney mail my AOS package to Chicago lockbox on 7/3/2014 it was shipped there on 7/7/2014. I did not receive any acceptance text or email yet and based on my attorney the check was not cleared yet. Is it normal? From what I saw on the spreadsheet, nobody wait 16 days for the acceptance email.

Hi Guys,
I am new here. My number became current in July. My attorney mail my AOS package to Chicago lockbox on 7/3/2014 it was shipped there on 7/7/2014. I did not receive any acceptance text or email yet and based on my attorney the check was not cleared yet. Is it normal? From what I saw on the spreadsheet, nobody wait 16 days for the acceptance email.

I waited 17 days I think - and someone else just got theirs after 21 days. It is a shame that you used a lawyer, they could have submitted the paperwork in May, but he/she probably does not know that. Hopefully your case will progress quickly regardless, but if I were you I would start reading this thread from the first post to get an idea how you can push your case through faster. Again, your lawyer probably won't know.....

Thank you for response. I started to read this forum from July and that’s why I have submitted the petition right away on July 3rd. I was assuming that with lawyer it will be faster. On the initial KCC confirmation letter was written that the application must be SUBMITTED by 9/30/2014. Only after I have realized that it must be APROVED by 9/30/2014. Do you think that I still have a chance??

Thank you for response. I started to read this forum from July and that’s why I have submitted the petition right away on July 3rd. I was assuming that with lawyer it will be faster. On the initial KCC confirmation letter was written that the application must be SUBMITTED by 9/30/2014. Only after I have realized that it must be APROVED by 9/30/2014. Do you think that I still have a chance??

You definitely have a chance, assuming your lawyer has not screwed anything up. :)

You definitely have a chance, assuming your lawyer has not screwed anything up. :)

Yeah I agree with c1984. You still have a chance, but you lost some time. You'll need to push to get this adjudicated in good time. You need to have your case accepted, then the case will be forwarded to your FO and hopefully they will setup the BIO asap. Once the case is accepted you should setup an infopass. Obviously this is something your lawyer should be aware of so since you are paying him/her you could run this by him/her. Like I said, I should imagine you are about to educate your lawyer on your dime.

Yeah I agree with c1984. You still have a chance, but you lost some time. You'll need to push to get this adjudicated in good time. You need to have your case accepted, then the case will be forwarded to your FO and hopefully they will setup the BIO asap. Once the case is accepted you should setup an infopass. Obviously this is something your lawyer should be aware of so since you are paying him/her you could run this by him/her. Like I said, I should imagine you are about to educate your lawyer on your dime.

I was about to hire a lawyer, but my jaw dropped when they asked $3000 (that excludes all other filing fees, medical etc). I'm glad I didn't do it. Don't hire a lawyer for DV. This forum is full of knowledgeable people.

I was about to hire a lawyer, but my jaw dropped when they asked $3000 (that excludes all other filing fees, medical etc). I'm glad I didn't do it. Don't hire a lawyer for DV. This forum is full of knowledgeable people.

I had my medical exams ready in advance. So, I was assuming that with lawyer it will be faster. We have submitted the documents in 3 days. Although, I think that he forgot to include in the package the KCC letter about adjustment of status (he did include the DV lottery winner letter). He said that we will interfile it later.

As an F1 student, i had a ss card stamped 'valid for work only with DHS permission'. Now that my status has changed to LPR, should i file for a new social security card?

Your number won't change, but yes at some point ask the SSA to replace your card and remove the valid for wording....

How many years of "Proof of tax filed" is required for the interview? Been in the US for 8 years, need all 8 years of proof or just couple of years of "Proof of tax filed" is enough?