• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 winners from Uganda, please holla!

Hey Catchme, thx for your reply. That was quick. Please update your signature so that we know when your CN will be current and your journey so far.

Hey Ash, you really have a small CN,I envy you. Mine is like double yours, can you imagine? Let me work on the signature.

Never mind

Hey Ash, you really have a small CN,I envy you. Mine is like double yours, can you imagine? Let me work on the signature.

My CN is too high for my liking. The anxiety of waiting for the 2nd NL and interview is just killing me. The only consolation is that, basing on the previous bulletins, the 2nd NL is more than obvious. You just have to prove yourself in Nairobi.

My CN is too high for my liking. The anxiety of waiting for the 2nd NL and interview is just killing me. The only consolation is that, basing on the previous bulletins, the 2nd NL is more than obvious. You just have to prove yourself in Nairobi.
I saw somewhere in the forum that 2nl will be sent from 15 august so better get repared and make sure that all documentations are in-order.

Thx for info

I saw somewhere in the forum that 2nl will be sent from 15 august so better get repared and make sure that all documentations are in-order.

That is nice to know. I thought NLs are given roughly a month before one's interview. Since our interviews are in different months, I imagined the NLs would be sent just before that. But if it is earleir, then it is even better. That will atleast reduce on the anxiety. By the way Papasan, are you also from Uganda?

Nairobi medicals experience

Below see Njugunuts' posting some times back about his medical experience; I believe it might answer some of the questions you've posed:

" Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.

I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti [Smilie] , just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, especially those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid."

Nice people, hope this helps!

Adopted kids

If one adopts kids and is a DV selectee, whose names should appear on the newly processed birth cert, the old parents or the new parents. The children have never had an official birth cert before but have hospital records with old parents' names. Any ideas. Will appreciate!

Hey people, do not forget to carry enough evidence to show that you meet the poverty requirement (google poverty guidelines 2012 to know your poverty bracket)

Time is indeed a healer. From checking the Entrant status check twice a day to once a day, to once a week, to once a month! Wow! The heart is settled finally. Just focusing on gathering the relevant docs.

Time is indeed a healer. From checking the Entrant status check twice a day to once a day, to once a week, to once a month! Wow! The heart is settled finally. Just focusing on gathering the relevant docs.

Ash why are you checking that often?, Plus i posted something on another thread, about education requirements. They want C plain for KCSE, which in our case is O'levels, how do you evaluate our O'levels against the KCSE as far as C plain grading is concerned? Plus do they pay attention to English and Maths? I have read somewhere that they do. Any information you have will be appreciated.

Ash why are you checking that often?, Plus i posted something on another thread, about education requirements. They want C plain for KCSE, which in our case is O'levels, how do you evaluate our O'levels against the KCSE as far as C plain grading is concerned? Plus do they pay attention to English and Maths? I have read somewhere that they do. Any information you have will be appreciated.

Hey Catchme long tym, you disappeared! The checking was done before I discovered the forum. Now, I do not bother cause the forum has answered all my questions so far.

Thanks for raising this issue. I believe the CO does not expect to see 99999999 on your O'level cert and you claim to have completed O'level successfuly. I read in Wikipedia about KCSE and this is what I found; C plain means 50 to 54%. I think one should have scored that as the minimum mark in all subjects taken.

Same applies to Uganda, in every subject, you should have passed with atleast 50%. Meaning no 9s here especially for maths and english.

I guess the CO is just looking for ways of eliminating the extra 50,000 people cause this (marks) does not make sense to me as long as you finished O'levels.

Oh, I finally got my confirmation email from KCC after 9 days from the date of my email to them.

Hey Catchme long tym, you disappeared! The checking was done before I discovered the forum. Now, I do not bother cause the forum has answered all my questions so far.

Thanks for raising this issue. I believe the CO does not expect to see 99999999 on your O'level cert and you claim to have completed O'level successfuly. I read in Wikipedia about KCSE and this is what I found; C plain means 50 to 54%. I think one should have scored that as the minimum mark in all subjects taken.

Same applies to Uganda, in every subject, you should have passed with atleast 50%. Meaning no 9s here especially for maths and english.

I guess the CO is just looking for ways of eliminating the extra 50,000 people cause this (marks) does not make sense to me as long as you finished O'levels.

Oh, I finally got my confirmation email from KCC after 9 days from the date of my email to them.
Ok, am always here. Now i do have my 7 credits 1 distinction but a Pass 7 in maths. That Pass has me worried kabisa. I do have 2 more qualifications. Am also a CPA and have 6 yrs working experience as an accountant. Am hopping this can save me.

Ok, am always here. Now i do have my 7 credits 1 distinction but a Pass 7 in maths. That Pass has me worried kabisa. I do have 2 more qualifications. Am also a CPA and have 6 yrs working experience as an accountant. Am hopping this can save me.

Do not worry. They consider two things to qualify for the visa, O' level certificate or work experience. You have both. Besides, those grades are very good.

Do not worry. They consider two things to qualify for the visa, O' level certificate or work experience. You have both. Besides, those grades are very good.

You're very reassuring Ash. But am just being careful trying to cover all the bases you know. But like i said, i have read somewhere about Maths and English. For now I'll just wait for the others to advise. (Am hoping there are people on this thread besides me and you). Lol

You're very reassuring Ash. But am just being careful trying to cover all the bases you know. But like i said, i have read somewhere about Maths and English. For now I'll just wait for the others to advise. (Am hoping there are people on this thread besides me and you). Lol

I advise you to post this on the Kenyan thread as well. It seems most Ugandans do not know about this forum. I read that over 500 Ugandans won this year but I do not see any other on this forum except me and you. However, over 500 people have viewed this thread, never know they could be reading but are just lazy to join or post. That verification thing before posting is so annoying.