• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 Australia Winners - Post Here

**IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE 2012 DIVERSITY LOTTERY PROGRAM**

We regret to inform you that, due to a computer programming problem, the results of the 2012 Diversity Lottery that were previously posted on this website have been voided. They were not valid and were posted in error. The results were not valid because they did not represent a fair, random selection of entrants, as required by U.S. law.

If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.

A new selection process will be conducted based on the original entries for the 2012 program.

If you submitted a qualified entry from October 5, 2010 to November 3, 2010, your entry remains with us. It will be included in the new selection lottery. Your confirmation number to check results on this website is still valid.

We expect the results of the new selection process to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

We regret any inconvenience this might have caused.

These are the FAQ's that accompany the above notice on the dvlottery website

Awful for those of you that had been selected. A fresh hope for those who werent.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants.

Q: Is the 2012 Diversity Visa Program cancelled?

No. The 2012 program will continue. The computer programming error has been identified and corrected. The Department of State will run a new selection using all the qualified entries (ones received between October 5, 2010 and November 3, 2010) it received for the 2012 program.

Q: Do I have to submit a new application?

No. You may not submit a new application. We will use all qualified entries received during the October 5 to November 3, 2010 registration period.

Q: Will you open a new entry period?

New entries will not be accepted.

Q: I checked the Entry Status Check website after May 1 and it said I had been selected. Can I apply for a DV visa?

Unfortunately results previously posted on this website were not valid because the selection process was not fair or random. We will take the entries of all individuals who sent in their registration during the original October 5 to November 3, 2010 time period and run a new lottery. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused. We expect new results to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

Q: How can I check the results of the new selection?

The new results should be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011. The confirmation code you received when you registered is still valid for use on the website.

Q: Was the Department of State hacked? Was my personal information at risk?

We have no evidence that this problem was caused by any intentional act. No unauthorized party accessed data related to the DV program.

This appears to be solely the result of a computer programming error.

Oh no way.... - I just found this out after being on vacation - already sent my forms off and everything! What are the odds of being selected again in the new July draw...

Z E R O.

Two strikes at this point. My partner was not selected on May 1st, nor was she selected on July 15th. We are sooo disappointed. We're both retirees, so job visas are not in the cards... Sigh.

Hope those that were selected last time were selected this time!

Why are u saying you arde not selected this year ,the website has not been opened for checking yet even now being july 2011

the results came out a few hours ago. after missing out may 1st i was luckily enough to be selected second time round. for those who havent checked yet i wish you all the best of luck!

Two strikes at this point. My partner was not selected on May 1st, nor was she selected on July 15th. We are sooo disappointed. We're both retirees, so job visas are not in the cards... Sigh.

Hope those that were selected last time were selected this time!

Why don't you two marry? If you are a same-sex couple you can still marry in NY or some other states and petition to have her stay. It's a long shot but there have been a few cases already where they have been successful (at least temoporarily); it's pretty hard thou...I agree. Let's hope the federal gov changes its policy on the issue.
All the best.

DV Lottery Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just checked and was successful in the 2012 lottery, but I have a few questions. I have spent a fair amount of time searching around but am still unsure of the answers.

Firstly, when is the latest that I can submit my application? I *think* the cut-off is september next year, but not entirely sure. I don't plan on waiting that long but was just curious.

I've checked and I tick all of the boxes, so *if* I were to be successful in the application process and be granted a visa, how long is the visa for? I've searched high and low for the answer to this one but cannot find it.

Finally, if I'm granted a visa as above, do I have a limited amount of time with which to use it (ie. if it's granted on June 1 next year, do I have say 3 months to enter the country or it'll be cancelled)?

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated...

Ryan

Hi Everyone,

I just checked and was successful in the 2012 lottery, but I have a few questions. I have spent a fair amount of time searching around but am still unsure of the answers.

Firstly, when is the latest that I can submit my application? I *think* the cut-off is september next year, but not entirely sure. I don't plan on waiting that long but was just curious.

I've checked and I tick all of the boxes, so *if* I were to be successful in the application process and be granted a visa, how long is the visa for? I've searched high and low for the answer to this one but cannot find it.

Finally, if I'm granted a visa as above, do I have a limited amount of time with which to use it (ie. if it's granted on June 1 next year, do I have say 3 months to enter the country or it'll be cancelled)?

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated...

Ryan

Congratulations........

1. Theoretically you have until Sept 2012 to submit your forms, however it is usually advised that persons fill out their forms and submit to KCC as soon as possible since interviews are done more or less by case number.

2. If granted the DV visa you become a permanent resident upon entry into the US. You will be given a green card which will expire in 10 years. You may opt to renew your green card or apply for citizenship after 5 years. The green card allows you to live and work in the US and is not intended to be used as a visa, hence persons are advised to not remain out of the US for long periods that would suggest you do not live in the US>

3. After being granted the DV visa you are given 6 months (generally) to enter the US and activate your permanent residency or the visa will expire.

Not as easy as it sounds...

Why don't you two marry? If you are a same-sex couple you can still marry in NY or some other states and petition to have her stay. It's a long shot but there have been a few cases already where they have been successful (at least temoporarily); it's pretty hard thou...I agree. Let's hope the federal gov changes its policy on the issue.
All the best.

@delit2727 - Yes, we could marry in New York, but because immigration is ruled at the Federal level, not at the State level, it would not give me LEGAL options to sponsor her as my spouse. We could take a chance and petition, but because the visa she uses to enter the US is not one with "intent to settle", it is at cross-purposes with actually getting married (which we would do if it were safe), and, if denied (which it would be at this moment), she would be barred from the US for 3 years. If she overstayed her visa, she would be barred for 10 years. We have one of the top immigration attorneys in the US working with us, and she says it is too risky yet. The guys who just won a stay of deportation in San Francisco took a huge risk - and their case isn't really settled - just delayed.

It will depend on 1) her winning a slot in the lottery or 2) the Federal laws changing.

AOS or CONSULATE

Hi there,

I've been reading these forums over the past few days as I won in the 2012 lottery after applying for 10 years!!!!!

I currently have an O1 visa but have not utilised it. And am still residing in Sydney.

I read that it's easier to apply for the green card through the consulate rather than doing an AOS in USA. It will take less time that way.

My question is, do I just apply as if i'm not using the O1 currently, or do i have to do an AOS through the consulate?

The O1 is valid until August 2013. However I'm wanting to apply and get all this done ASAP.

Thanks and congratulations to every who won.

Hi - just found out I was successul. Currently in Brisbane Australia and now I am freaking out about the whole thing. Any other Aussies wanna take this journey with someone and maybe email. I am doing this on my own so would be good to have a mate going through the same thing. Cheers.

Hi there,

I've been reading these forums over the past few days as I won in the 2012 lottery after applying for 10 years!!!!!

I currently have an O1 visa but have not utilised it. And am still residing in Sydney.

I read that it's easier to apply for the green card through the consulate rather than doing an AOS in USA. It will take less time that way.

My question is, do I just apply as if i'm not using the O1 currently, or do i have to do an AOS through the consulate?

The O1 is valid until August 2013. However I'm wanting to apply and get all this done ASAP.

Thanks and congratulations to every who won.

you received too many answers related to your questions.......you should have taken a decision

Congratulations........

1. Theoretically you have until Sept 2012 to submit your forms, however it is usually advised that persons fill out their forms and submit to KCC as soon as possible since interviews are done more or less by case number.

2. If granted the DV visa you become a permanent resident upon entry into the US. You will be given a green card which will expire in 10 years. You may opt to renew your green card or apply for citizenship after 5 years. The green card allows you to live and work in the US and is not intended to be used as a visa, hence persons are advised to not remain out of the US for long periods that would suggest you do not live in the US>

3. After being granted the DV visa you are given 6 months (generally) to enter the US and activate your permanent residency or the visa will expire.

Thanks for the info, helps out lots. Now I have some more questions though which I hope you or someone else can shed some light on...

Firstly, I have a girlfriend who I believe is eligble to apply with me. If I were to apply with her and something were to happen (ie. break up) would that affect my green card/visa?

If I were to apply alone and be approved, could we then apply seperately for her as my spouse after the fact?

The reason I ask is with our current situation I'm not sure how keen she will be to head over there (family reasons), but I would like to keep this option open to myself.

And finally, how long (approximately) does it take from sending in your forms to interviewing and being granted a green card, assuming all goes well? I know that this is a "how long is a piece of string, but people's experiences are wht I'm after.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Firstly, I have a girlfriend who I believe is eligble to apply with me. If I were to apply with her and something were to happen (ie. break up) would that affect my green card/visa?

If I were to apply alone and be approved, could we then apply seperately for her as my spouse after the fact?

The reason I ask is with our current situation I'm not sure how keen she will be to head over there (family reasons), but I would like to keep this option open to myself.

And finally, how long (approximately) does it take from sending in your forms to interviewing and being granted a green card, assuming all goes well? I know that this is a "how long is a piece of string, but people's experiences are wht I'm after.
Your girlfriend is not eligible for a GC because you have been selected for further processing because the USA does not recognise de facto relationships. If she wants a GC you would have to marry her so that you can add her to your application.

Secondly, the time from submitting your forms till the interview depends on your case number. The higher the number, the longer you'll have to wait for the interview. Check the visa bulletin on the state.gov website to get an idea of when your interview will be based on your case number

Kiwi winner!

Hey guys!

I haven't seen any thread for Kiwi winners, so I thought I'd join the Aussie thread instead! I have been selected for further processing, with my case number being around mid-100 (2012OC000001**)! I never thought that I would ever win, and only entered out of curiousity.

How long would it take for my number to become current? As I live in New Zealand, I would be having my interview in Auckland. However, I looking at going overseas over the summer, for educational purposes. If I do so, it would be towards the end of November for at least 1.5 months, perhaps longer. I imagine that my number would become current during this time, so would I be able to be interviewed in the country which I intend to do an exchange in?

Thanks, and good luck to all the other winners out there!