• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 Australia Winners - Post Here

Hey mates,

I'm not from Australia, and I was wondering - do you really want to leave your country that bad? I mean, I've never been there, but it's a place that I always dreamed of going. My impression might be wrong, but it looks great, and I would love to live there if I had any friends or relatives, and definitely choose it over the USA. I'm just interested of the reasons why people choose the USA over Australia. Because it's definitely can't be the same as for Eastern Europeans, Indians, Chinese, Pakistan, etc. where we all know what the reasons are.

For my part it is definitely not a case of choosing USA over Australia; that would be crazy!

Being an Australian citizen by birth i can return home at any point without issue or obstacle. I have simply won a lottery that provides permanent residence in the USA; this is good enough reason to open myself up to the opportunity to live in a different country, experience a new culture, meet new people,travel and experience new things.

Australia is one of the most desirable and livable cities in the world IMO; the lifestyle is second to none to most.

I think you would find most Australians that travel do not do so with the intention of 'forever' migrating; but rather relocate to travel and experience living abroad for a time.

ajk

Last edited by a moderator:
For my part it is definitely not a case of choosing USA over Australia; that would be crazy!

Being an Australian citizen by birth i can return home at any point without issue or obstacle. I have simply won a lottery that provides permanent residence in the USA; this is good enough reason to open myself up to the opportunity to live in a different country, experience a new culture, meet new people,travel and experience new things.

Australia is one of the most desirable and livable cities in the world IMO; the lifestyle is second to none to most.

I think you would find most Australians that travel do not do so with the intention of 'forever' migrating; but rather relocate to travel and experience living abroad for a time.

ajk

I do agree with you. i am in the process of getting Australian citizenship but i will process my US migration to have an option open. I can have dual citizenship and can have best from both the countries. I love it here in Australia but surely want to explore American experiences, the lottery gave me an opportunity to do that freely. Also I love being in my home country and dont hate it but I want to be able to live anywhere in the world I want.

I do agree with you. i am in the process of getting Australian citizenship but i will process my US migration to have an option open. I can have dual citizenship and can have best from both the countries. I love it here in Australia but surely want to explore American experiences, the lottery gave me an opportunity to do that freely. Also I love being in my home country and dont hate it but I want to be able to live anywhere in the world I want.
I second what sb143 & ajk have said. Aus must be the destination of choice at the moment.

Guys I was looking into the visa bulletin that shows the serial number of winners ready for processing from each region. I have won the DV based on my asian origin but i am in ocenia now and will be interviewed in Australia. so which region serial should apply for my case? any info will be appreciated.

guys i was looking into the visa bulletin that shows the serial number of winners ready for processing from each region. I have won the dv based on my asian origin but i am in ocenia now and will be interviewed in australia. So which region serial should apply for my case? Any info will be appreciated.

...2012as0000xxxxxx

Guys I was looking into the visa bulletin that shows the serial number of winners ready for processing from each region. I have won the DV based on my asian origin but i am in ocenia now and will be interviewed in Australia. so which region serial should apply for my case? any info will be appreciated.
Seriously, if you read the instructions and the forms that you need to complete at all, you would have figured this out quite easily.

Well we had good intentions to mail everything off this week but we've been so busy with getting ready to move house unfortunately. And work for both of us has also been extra busy. We did get our photos and have made a good start filling in the forms. We've got next week off and hope to finish filling everything in and mail them off. I just have to be careful the removalists don't pack the forms! :eek:

I have a query about question 35 - List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the US. There's only three lines for the answer. I need about 20! I wonder if you're allowed to attach notes or write notes in the margin if you want to explain something?

Hi Vichel,

Sounds like you've been incredibly busy! At least there's no real rush in getting the forms posted, especially if you're sending them off next week :)

With regards to question 35, this is the exact wording from the top of the DS-230 form:

"If there is insufficient room on the form, answer on a separate sheet using the same numbers that appear on the form. Attach any additional sheets to this form".

On the form itself, I would simply write "see attached page" and then on a separate sheet labelled DS-230 Part I: QUESTION 35, I would write the list.

I hope this helps!

Hi All,

I am an Aussie DV 2012 winner too! Case number is in the 9 hundreds, not sure of my chances. Currently living in NYC working on the H-1B visa, and working with my attorney to decide on CP or AOS. Will be sending off my forms to the KCC on Monday.

Here's to good luck for all Aussies!

Welcome to the forum MikeOne and congratulations :)

I'm very jealous that you're currently making this post fron NYC! I absolutely loved it there.

Rest assured that you will be fine with your case number! Oceania region usually allocates around 1300 visas each year to lottery winners! You will most likely be looking at an interview early next year.

Keep enjoying the big apple!!

Hi Vichel,

Sounds like you've been incredibly busy! At least there's no real rush in getting the forms posted, especially if you're sending them off next week :)

With regards to question 35, this is the exact wording from the top of the DS-230 form:

"If there is insufficient room on the form, answer on a separate sheet using the same numbers that appear on the form. Attach any additional sheets to this form".

On the form itself, I would simply write "see attached page" and then on a separate sheet labelled DS-230 Part I: QUESTION 35, I would write the list.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for that. Just goes to show I really need to just sit down, take a deep breath and concentrate on not just the forms but the instructions as well. I missed that. My brain has been on overdrive with the move and with renovations finishing up in the next house ... it's just been too crazy around here lately.

I lived in Canada for a number of years so trips to the US were a common thing. I doubt I'll remember most of them as many were just short jaunts over the border, for lunch sometimes, or a bit of shopping. I'll just write a note to that effect, as well as list all the more major trips there. My passport and old passports should be a good reminder.

I bet you're tracking your Forms on a regular basis? :D I know I would be. And I wouldn't be able to relax til I saw it had reached its destination.

Yeah, welcome MikeOne! And congrats!

Our case number is in the 800s and I've been assured we've got a very good chance, that people with case numbers in the 1000s have been fine. If you look back in the message thread that deals with Aussie winners of DV2011 you see success stories with higher case numbers. Not everyone goes for it sometimes, situations change as they decide against it.

Lucky you, being in NYC. We love that city but don't think we could live there. Bit too fast-paced for us. Great place to visit. We'll be trying for San Diego or thereabouts.

Hi Zootfish, I am assuming you are moving to the US as a family. If you had applied alone for the GC, how much would you have paid? Do one pay cash in US dollars; Debit/Credit Card at the Embassy at the day of the interview?

Hi Zootfish, I am assuming you are moving to the US as a family. If you had applied alone for the GC, how much would you have paid? Do one pay cash in US dollars; Debit/Credit Card at the Embassy at the day of the interview?

Hi baltimore_p,

I'm moving to the US with my wife. Just the two of us with no kids.

If I'd been going by myself then the amounts would have been half of those I've given. As both my wife and I had to pay for the visa and assessment. Plus the medicals. Plus the police checks. The only thing that wouldn't have been half would have been the postage to send the application :)

Hi Vichel, you're right...I do plan to track my precious envelope all the way to it's destination! I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Also, just a little piece of information to share with all fellow DV-2012 winners while it's still early days... based on some information I read in user Tazmania's signature (and confirmation from Zootfish), I enquired and can confirm that if you hold any Australia AMEX credit card (issued by AMEX and not a 3rd party bank) for at least 12 months, when you relocate to the US you will be eligible for an AMEX global card transfer.

Basically AMEX will transfer your Australian AMEX credit card account, including your credit history, to an American AMEX credit card - providing you with valuable credit history and the chance to actually have an American credit card issued upon your arrival. I believe this will be invaluable as the US is all about credit cards and from what I've heard it's almost impossible to get a US bank to grant you approval without a credit history and how else to build one!

I called the AMEX global transfer team in the US to confirm the details and they stated you need the following:

AMEX credit card needs to be issed by AMEX direct (not a 3rd party bank)
Any Australian AMEX credit card can be globally transferred as long as your credit history is sound.
You must have had a US bank account open (with any bank) for at least 30 days before attempting the global transfer.
You must have held your Australian AMEX for at least 12 months.

The global transfer can be done over the phone and information can be found at the following link:

http://www.americanexpress.com/globaltransfers/global_card_transfer_us_en.shtml

I am going to sign up for this now so I will have had my account for 12 months by the time I permanently relocate!

Hopefully this helps someone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...I enquired and can confirm that if you hold any Australia AMEX credit card (issued by AMEX and not a 3rd party bank) for at least 12 months, when you relocate to the US you will be eligible for an AMEX global card transfer.

Basically AMEX will transfer your Australian AMEX credit card account, including your credit history, to an American AMEX credit card - providing you with valuable credit history and the chance to actually have an American credit card issued upon your arrival.

Thanks for that, Leah. Really good to know. We have one of those non-bank Amex credit cards so this information will certainly come in handy, when the time comes.