• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Picture and Resize in Photoshop

no_trying

Registered Users (C)
I have a pic which is US Passport Size 2 inch by 2 inch (1200 pixel by 1200 pixel). Using photoshop I made image resize to a 600 pixel by 600 pixel, but the image becomes 1 inch by 1 inch. My process is:

Photoshop -> Image -> Image Size -> then pixel dimension as 600 Width and 600 Height.

Result is:
This process turns the pic size to 1 inch by 1 inch and resolution is 600 pixel/inch and pixel dimension is 600 pixel height and 600 pixel width.
Anyone good in photoshop knows how to convert 1200 pixel by 1200 pixel to 600 pixel by 600 pixel? Did I do it right?

Yes.

You might want to wait though until official instructions to DV-2011 are out. Maybe they'll have changed the requirements.

I have a pic which is US Passport Size 2 inch by 2 inch (1200 pixel by 1200 pixel). Using photoshop I made image resize to a 600 pixel by 600 pixel, but the image becomes 1 inch by 1 inch. My process is:

Result is:

Anyone good in photoshop knows how to convert 1200 pixel by 1200 pixel to 600 pixel by 600 pixel? Did I do it right?

My own formula is to crop the picture through photo shop. When you'll crop that picture, write the size 2 inch by 2 inch with 300 pixel (it may be 304 pixel) in the menu bar box. Now select the full picture with crop tool and double click on the picture. Try it. I think It will solve your problem.

My own formula is to crop the picture through photo shop. When you'll crop that picture, write the size 2 inch by 2 inch with 300 pixel (it may be 304 pixel) in the menu bar box. Now select the full picture with crop tool and double click on the picture. Try it. I think It will solve your problem.

I tried your way too, image is 600 by 600 pixel, but this also gets the pic into 1 inch by 1 inch. I am not sure how pixel to inch works. This shouldn't be rocket science.

Can someone explains the mathematics here? Why two process yields the same result, i.e 600x600 pixel pic is always 1" by 1" and 2" by 2" with 300 pixel also result in 600 pixel by 600 pixel and size in terms of inch is 1" by 1"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I am also getting ready for DV-2011. In the image size section , u will see a section to enter pixel/inch , i changed it to 300 , and i got a 600 pixel by 600 pixel photo , which is also 2" by 2". This should solve ur problem.

Hi
I am also getting ready for DV-2011. In the image size section , u will see a section to enter pixel/inch , i changed it to 300 , and i got a 600 pixel by 600 pixel photo , which is also 2" by 2". This should solve ur problem.

This method creates 600 x 600 pixel photo. I get the pic 600x600 pixel and I don't know how to verify this is actually 2" by 2". How do you verify in Photoshop this pic (600 x 600 pixel) is actually 2" by 2"? What steps did you take to verify after creating the pic in 600 x 600 pixel? Is there a property in photoshop that shows the pic size in inchese?

In the image size section you can modify the values for both pixels and inches. But incase you are still struggling with your photos , you can mail them to me, and i will have them resized according to the specification. This is the least i can do for you for helping me to decide if i can apply through spain.

In the image size section you can modify the values for both pixels and inches. But incase you are still struggling with your photos , you can mail them to me, and i will have them resized according to the specification. This is the least i can do for you for helping me to decide if i can apply through spain.

I did it the same way everything is fine with pic resized via Photoshop. In the Windows XP comp I can verify this is 600 x 600 pixel, but I cannot verify if it is 2" by 2" either by Photoshop. Photoshop creates it as 600x600 pixel with 2" by 2" dimensions.

But the question is not the creation, but verification after creation. It will just make me feel good :). I need to do second check the inch size, that's all. Maybe I will try in Linux. If you have any suggestions how I can verify jpg image size in terms of inches either in Windows XP or Photoshop let me know.

Thanks for the help.

if you just need to verify , then you can do that with microsoft word. Insert the picture in word, and right click on the inserted picture. From the menu , click on "format picture" , and then select the "size" tab. Here you can check the size.

if you just need to verify , then you can do that with microsoft word. Insert the picture in word, and right click on the inserted picture. From the menu , click on "format picture" , and then select the "size" tab. Here you can check the size.

Thanks for the idea. I can't believe I forgot about copy and paste to Microsoft Word :).

This is the right method above quoting Torikul, which does get you 600 x 600 pixel and 2" by 2".

Verification can be done in Microsoft Word by pasting the jpg file and right-click on pic -> Size. It should say 2" by 2".

Do not try this method (this method only gives 600 x 600 pixel and pic is 1" by 1") below:

Photoshop -> Image -> Image Size -> then pixel dimension as 600 Width and 600 Height.

Get the picture size right the first time. KCC won't even notify if you got disqualified because of pic size is not 600 x 600 pixel and 2 inch by 2 inch. Only think you can leave for chance is KCC computer lottery selection. Rest should be lined up by you, entree, to increase your chance of winning.

Remember also that the size of the photo is limited. In DV2010 entry form it was max. 240 kilobytes. You can test the picture before submitting it.

Photoshop is too heavy tool IMHO, I used Irfanview. Fast and easy.

pic size is 600 x 600 pixel and 2 inch by 2 inch
Where did u find this information about the photo size of 2inch by 2 inch. I again read the DV instruction , but it only says :
Image File Format: The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format.
Image File Size: The maximum image file size is 240 kilobytes (240 KB).
Image Resolution:600 pixels high by 600 pixels wide.

Where did u find this information about the photo size of 2inch by 2 inch. I again read the DV instruction , but it only says :

It's not a requirement for your electronic entry, but if you get through to the next stage (i.e. you get selected) then you will have to send them a 2"x2" photo with your application forms (and then you will need several more of them again when you have your medical exam and interview).

The requirements will be in your notification letter and they are the same as the requirements for US passport photos:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html

*EDIT* I just realised this whole thread is talking about DV-2011. I think E59th was right to recommend waiting until the new instructions come out. The requirements in DV-2009 were different than DV-2010, and they may well be different again this year. It's probably best to just wait and see the latest requirements will be before getting too concerned about it.

next stage

ok.

*EDIT* I just realised this whole thread is talking about DV-2011. I think E59th was right to recommend waiting until the new instructions come out. The requirements in DV-2009 were different than DV-2010, and they may well be different again this year. It's probably best to just wait and see the latest requirements will be before getting too concerned about it.
I think we are all aware that the photo requirement might change for 2011 and we are just practising to edit the photo. And besides , i am having a really tough time trying to take a perfect photo of my 6month old son , which i can send to the lottery.

I think we are all aware that the photo requirement might change for 2011 and we are just practising to edit the photo.

That's fine then, as long as you were already aware.

And besides , i am having a really tough time trying to take a perfect photo of my 6month old son , which i can send to the lottery.

I've seen some other posts on this forum from people who struggled with the same sort of thing. It's obviously quite a challenge getting a suitable photo of a young child. Good luck.

DV-2010 only concerned about 600 pixel by 600 pixel and they didn't emphasize pic size in inches. Beside practicing resizng pic into 2 inch by 2 inch helps you with pics that are required for interview and medical exams. :D

For DV-2011, wait for instructions. It will be announced on the DV Lottery US Government last week of September 2009.

I am having problems having my photo validated using COREL PhotoShop. It gives 600x450 instead of the required 600X600.
Any ideas how to get around this?