• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 Photoshop Optimize Allowed: 600 pixel x 600 pixel, reduce size < 240KB

> Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 pixels (width) x 600 pixels (height). Image pixel dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (meaning the height must be equal to the width).

The "minimum acceptable" part was added this year.
It sounded like one can upload pics larger than 600x600 (still square ratio and <240Kb). But if you try a pic larger than 600x600, the photo validator refuses it...

i have a 600x600 pixel pic which is 240 kb. If you upload a 240kb pic which is 600x600 pixel you will get a warning. I have optimized the pic that is 600x600 pixel from 240 kb to something smaller size, 185 kb, but still 600x600 pixel by doing:

Would optimizing the pic in photoshop result in disqualification?
you need not resize as that dont allow that just scan it then size it to 600x600 pix on adobe photoshop it will validate and you are off

Hi All,

I have viewed the photo validator on the gov official website and found a confusing dilemma:

Assuming the photo must still be 600 x 600, it's aspect ratio must be retained. My photo was taken with a 8 MP camera and I have difficulty making it 600 x 600 pixels while retaining the aspect ratio. Is it even possible to do so?

Moreover, my picture is way beyond the 280 kb size limit.

Please, please advice

It does not matter how expensive your camera is, all 600x600 pixel images taken with any camera (and saved with the same compression) will be of the same size.

That's not quite true, at least not for JPG images. Depending on what's on the photo you may be able to compress very well (thus resulting in a small file size) or not that well (larger file size).

If you have any doubts, I suggest you take one picture of a white wall and one of a tree and see if the images have the same size :D