• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

BlueT41

Registered Users (C)
This thread is for those who are filing Adjustment of Status ONLY for DV 2010 to share their experiences. You could find information from people you have already been through this process on the DV 2009 AOS Only thread.

Helpful Links for Adjustment of Status (AOS)

1) Adjustment of Status Application Procedure Link

2) EAD/AP vs H/L Link

3) AOS vs Consular Processing Link

4) Medical Examination Link

5) USCIS Civil Surgeon Locator Link

6) Alien Registration Number (A#) Link

7) New Permanent Resident Information

Hi Blue,

So glad to here you were a winner of DV2010 living in the USA. We are on the same boat. My number is 2010SA000004xx. I live in CA. I was able to track some of your posts and understand you sent DS230 and DSP122 already; sent $375 to DOS and got receipt; and now you are waiting for the next step. What is the next step you are taking?

Here's my case:
4/17/09: NL from KCC 2010SA000004xx
5/13/09: Sent DSP122 (only) + barcode sheet to KCC (certified mail receipt)

Can you also post your status like I did, thanks. I was a bit hesistant to send the fee to DOS (due to confusion on the amount), so I'm looking for comfirmation on this subject. When did you send your DOS fee? and when did you get receipt?

Thanks,

Jaime

Hi
im also a 2010 winner, SA******5*
I also sent out the paper work, and barcode and recieved a receipt for dos fees, $375 so i would say that is the right fee amount. I sent it early becuause DOS is responsible for informing uscis about qualified applicants for visa number. I dont want to delay the process.

The wait is killing me. i might get interview in early october, you too jlaw.

What part of SA, im from Belize

Hi
im also a 2010 winner, SA******5*
I also sent out the paper work, and barcode and recieved a receipt for dos fees, $375 so i would say that is the right fee amount. I sent it early becuause DOS is responsible for informing uscis about qualified applicants for visa number. I dont want to delay the process.

The wait is killing me. i might get interview in early october, you too jlaw.

What part of SA, im from Belize

Hey Lucky Belizian,

Enhorabuena! I am from Bolivia. I will send the DV fee to DOS tomorrow.

One of my big questions is: how do you know when EXACTLY to mail your paper work (485, EAD, AP) to the Chicago Lockbox?

Let's hope for the best. Can you put up your status as I did on my previous post to keep track of your progress? I will share my experience with you as I navigate through this process.

Thanks,

Jaime

Hello

I am awaiting result still. My country is from Europe. Anyone from Europe who won Dv-2010 ? This is my 4th time.

Hi Blue,

So glad to here you were a winner of DV2010 living in the USA. We are on the same boat. My number is 2010SA000004xx. I live in CA. I was able to track some of your posts and understand you sent DS230 and DSP122 already; sent $375 to DOS and got receipt; and now you are waiting for the next step. What is the next step you are taking?

Here's my case:
5/13/09: Sent DSP122 (only) + barcode sheet to KCC (certified mail receipt)

Can you also post your status like I did, thanks. I was a bit hesistant to send the fee to DOS (due to confusion on the amount), so I'm looking for confirmation on this subject. When did you send your DOS fee? and when did you get receipt?

Thanks,

Jaime

Hello Jaime,

Thanks for responding to my post. Congratulations to you as well. I'm so happy I was lucky to find this forum. It helped answer a lot of my questions. I've called USCIS and KCC numerous times and got conflicting information where it came to AOS. Check out DV2009 AOS only thread. So here's what I've gathered so far:

My Case:
4/16/2009: NL from KCC 2010SA0000000X
4/21/2009: Sent DS230 + DS122 + barcode + pics to KCC (from reading the blogs I think I was only supposed to sent the DS122)
4/24/2009: Mailed $375 DV fee to DOS (I've seen some people have do this step much later in the process)
5/4/2009: Received payment confirmation slip from DOS
In process of gathering docs for I485 and immunization records

So from reading the blogs it seems that the best time to file the I-485 is when your case number is current. Sending the AOS too soon is risky and may result in your package being mailed back to you or rejected since a visa would not be available to you until your case is current. DV2010 fiscal year does not start until October. So sending the AOS before then is at your own risk. (You would think they would hold it till your case number is current right? Go figure). You would have to check the visa bulletin to see when your case number is current for your region on the department of State website.

The medical exam from what I've read is valid for one year, so that could be done in advance. Please note that you do not want to do this too early either, it all depends on how high your case number is. if your case number is very high and your interview gets pushed back to more than a year after you completed your medical. You may have to get a new I693 form done by a general surgeon approved by USCIS. USCIS has a list of medical examiners on their website.

Also please make sure the forms you fill out are current. I've received forms from USCIS and KCC with a past expiration date. Best bet is to go to their website and download the latest version.

That's my 2cents. Please note this is just my opinion, please do your research. Hope this helps.

Hey Jaime

Thanks Jamie nice tips but why you rush to sent the fee too ? i think as you said do not sent the 485 to uscis before you number current ............they might sent to you back or they will lost it easy believe me.......

Belize 2010

Hey Lucky Belizian,

Enhorabuena! I am from Bolivia. I will send the DV fee to DOS tomorrow.

One of my big questions is: how do you know when EXACTLY to mail your paper work (485, EAD, AP) to the Chicago Lockbox?

Let's hope for the best. Can you put up your status as I did on my previous post to keep track of your progress? I will share my experience with you as I navigate through this process.

Thanks,

Jaime

Here is my status so far:
4/11/09 NL letter
4/17/09 mailed DS paper work back to kcc
4/21/09 mailed fee to DOS

I believe it is safer to send the 485 paper work and supporting documents when your number is current. I am being very optimistic because SA visa bulletin is looking really good so far.

I read about someone who sent in their AOS package early and got good results, but thats not the road im going to take, i prefer to wait for my number!

what exactly are the filling fees?
do you have to wait for the 2nd NL before doing the medicals?

Belize 2010

hi fitness,

you can go ahead and pay the visa fees, but not the I-485 fee. the visa fee has to be payed if you are going to pursue your DV case. the fees is for processing of the DV 2010 lottery

Hello Jaime,

Thanks for responding to my post. Congratulations to you as well. I'm so happy I was lucky to find this forum. It helped answer a lot of my questions. I've called USCIS and KCC numerous times and got conflicting information where it came to AOS. Check out DV2009 AOS only thread. So here's what I've gathered so far:

My Case:
4/16/2009: NL from KCCC 2010SA0000000X
4/21/2009: Sent DS230 + DS122 + barcode + pics to KCC (from reading the blogs I think I was only supposed to sent the DS122)
4/24/2009: Mailed $375 DV fee to DOS (I've seen some people have do this step much later in the process)
5/4/2009: Recieved payment confirmation slip from DOS

So from reading the blogs it seems that the best time to file the I-485 is when your case number is current. Sending the AOS too soon is risky and may result in your package being mailed back to you or rejected since a visa would not be available to you until your case is current. DV2010 fiscal year does not start until October. So sending the AOS before then is at your own risk. (You would think they would hold it till your case number is current right? Go figure). You would have to check the visa bulletin to see when your case number is current for your region on the department of State website.

The medical exam from what I've read is valid for one year, so that could be done in advance. Please note that you do not want to do this too early either, it all depends on how high your case number is. if your case number is very high and your interview gets pushed back to more than a year after you completed your medical. You may have to get a new I693 form done by a general surgeon approved by USCIS. USCIS has a list of medical examiners on their website.

Also please make sure the forms you fill out are current. I've recieved forms from USCIS and KCC with a past expiration date. Best bet is to go to their website and download the latest version.

That's my 2cents. Please note this is just my opinion, please do your research. Hope this helps.

Hi Blue,

Thanks for the helpful information in your post. As noted, I will have to do more research, but thanks for sharing your experience so far. I have to get around understanding how to read the visa bulletin for DV cases. I have an employment-based AOS case pending (filed Aug 07) and I check the visa bulletin every month for good news (usually bad news for 3rd tier category applicants, meaning I have to wait for god knows how long and currently unavailable visas). So this DV 2010 opportunity was a pleasant surprise.
I had to go through the medical and biometric procedure for the employment-based GC, it is a drag, and all over again now.

I also went to the USCIS field office here and they gave me a packet of forms, which most have already expired. As you gather your information, can you also share a checklist of items that you'll me mailing to the Chicago Lockbox? I will do the same.

Congrats again, I see you have a single digit number in your CN, that's awsome!

Take care,

Jaime

Here's an update,

5/13/09: Sent DSP122 (only) + barcode sheet to KCC
5/14/09: Sent $375 DV fee + form to DOS (in St. Louis)
Now learning about next step...

Thanks,

Jaime

Hey Jaime

Thanks Jamie nice tips but why you rush to sent the fee too ? i think as you said do not sent the 485 to uscis before you number current ............they might sent to you back or they will lost it easy believe me.......

Hi Fitness901,

I think there are several fees we'll have to take care of.

- $375 DV fee to DOS
- Roudly $400 for medical exam
- $1010 fee for I-485 AOS (when your number is current and you send it with forms to USCIS)
- Mailing fees roundly $20
- Taxi or bus to biometrics center and USCIS interview ($1.5 up to $100 times two) or gas.
- Misc. other: lunch, work time, stress and anxiety :eek:

So if I budget roundly $2,000 in a one-year time frame, it all pays off in the end, I think. :D

Cheers,

Jaime

Update

4/16/2009: NL from KCC 2010SA0000000X
5/4/2009: Received payment confirmation slip from DOS
5/14/2009: Received letter from DOS acknowledging my filing AOS

Thank Jlaw

it will pay for sure...............
I want to ask you all if you know any body from the past or now (2010) won.............. their case are on deportation process (i know that make them legal) because with my sister case immigration not order her to leave the country because she is on appeal and her case is pending

Please i need help ,i know it is complicted..............may be some body know some thing .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank Jlaw

it will pay for sure...............
I want to ask you all if you know any body from the past or now (2010) won.............. their case are on deportation process (i know that make them legal) because immigration not order her to leave the country because she is appeal and her case is pending

Please i need help ,i know it is complicted..............may be some body know some thing .

Hello fitness. I don't know the answer to your question. Try posting your question on the 2009 DV AOS only thread. Some people on that thread have already gone through the AOS process and may be able to answer your question. Sorry, I could not be of more assistance.
-BlueT41

Thanks blueT41

thank you very much i will do that !!!i went all old Threads from last year to find similar case with my sister.........and no body said thier had a case in deportation process
any way some dv winners from 2009 are around i will there

again thanks