DUI over 10 years ago and Naturalization

PJM2

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice, help, tips regarding applying for naturalization. In 1999 or 2000 I got a minor consumption of alcohol and in 2003 I got a 4th degree DUI (Minnesota). There was no property damage or bodily harm. I was detained for a couple of hours, got a DL suspended for 90 days and one year of probation but it was reduced and completed in six months. I paid all fines and completed all required classes and programs. In the last 13 years since the DUI I have no other incidents.

Will this impact my ability to become a naturalized citizen? Should I consult with an immigration attorney prior to submitting the N400? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

No it will not have any impact on you getting your citizenship.

1) it happened more than 5 years ago, so you've passed the good moral standing of 5 years portion
2) a dui is not considered a crime of moral turpitude (so the 5 year isn't really relevant, i just mention it to demonstrate a point)
3) "habitual" drunkard is a crime of moral tupitude, which by definition means repeat offender, you are not.

You don't need a lawyer, fill out the form and disclose this, also if you don't have them, get a copy of your arrest record and court records.

I had a dui and got my citizenship after 2 years from conviction date.

Good luck

Last edited:
No it will not have any impact on you getting your citizenship.

1) it happened more than 5 years ago, so you've passed the good moral standing of 5 years portion
2) a dui is not considered a crime of moral turpitude (so the 5 year isn't really relevant, i just mention it to demonstrate a point)
3) "habitual" drunkard is a crime of moral tupitude, which by definition means repeat offender, you are not.

You don't need a lawyer, fill out the form and disclose this, also if you don't have them, get a copy of your arrest record and court records.

I had a dui and got my citizenship after 2 years from conviction date.

Good luck

Thanks djh for your comment and advice. I really appreciate it! I was wondering if you knew what exactly is required by USCIS regarding copies of the records? Are arrest records different from the court records? Do you need both? Do you get the arrest record from the police department and the court records from the courthouse? I'm assuming the arrest records need to be certified as well? I'm in the process of trying to get certified court records, but I am having difficulty because the incidents occurred so long ago. I am only able to get a "record of accounts" or something of that matter. Basically it's a short summary of the case. Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. Thanks again for your help!

You are correct, arrest records come from the police dept and court records come from the court. They need to original and certified.

Due to time that has passed, it may not be possible, so you may need them to give you a letter certifying they cannot retrieve the info.

In all honesty, just my opinion, so don't run with this, but given the time delay, it probably isn't a big deal anyway if you can't get the info, but cover your bases.

I'll do my best in trying to obtain the necessary records. Thanks again for the reply and help!