Dual Citizenship with Pakistan

I am in the process of getting US citizenship and have recently travelled to pakistan and they did ask me for my green card when i went...this was in April this year....i just want to clear things in my mind as i'll be travelling again soon IA

Asif2000,
The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. You took an oath of allegiance that states that you are renouncing all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign state. While the U.S. does not formally make you renounce your Pakistani citizenship, you are still expected to present yourself as a U.S. citizen and travel with a U.S. passport. You should not be picking one citizenship to use over another because one may be more convenient.

Open up a US passport. It mentions dual citizenship on one of its pages. I agree with you on the fact that US citizens need to depart and enter the United States using their US passports. However they are free to use any other passport elsewhere.

Open up a US passport. It mentions dual citizenship on one of its pages. I agree with you on the fact that US citizens need to depart and enter the United States using their US passports. However they are free to use any other passport elsewhere.

I agree but just wanted to stress that the oath of allegiance does mean something. To clarify the U.S. standpoint, this is from the state department website:

"A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance."

The oath of allegiance does mean a lot. Not denying that. In fact prior to 1986, new citizens at their naturalisation ceremony handed their green cards and foreign passports. My wife's father naturalised in 1977 and he needed to hand in his Pakistani passport then. In 1986, the US Supreme Court ruled that the United States has no right to determine if a person is a citizen of country X or not. Only country X has that right. So the oath of allegiance is still part of the naturalisation process, but it holds no relevance as far as stripping a newly naturalised citizen of his/her previous citizenship unless and until that country ceases to consider the new US citizen as theirs.
All US citizens need to enter and leave the US on their US passports, including those that hold another citizenship(s). I totally agree with that stance and abide by it 100%. However once outside the US a dual citizen is free to pick the passport he/she wants to use. There may be times when that person has no choice. Pakistan will let Pakistanis enter using a foreign passport. However there are countries (Albania, Iran, etc) that will not grant entry to dual citizens until they use their national passport. So what will someone do then? By your stance of not having the freedom to pick a passport, what will this person do?
I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.

The oath of allegiance does mean a lot. Not denying that. In fact prior to 1986, new citizens at their naturalisation ceremony handed their green cards and foreign passports. My wife's father naturalised in 1977 and he needed to hand in his Pakistani passport then. In 1986, the US Supreme Court ruled that the United States has no right to determine if a person is a citizen of country X or not. Only country X has that right. So the oath of allegiance is still part of the naturalisation process, but it holds no relevance as far as stripping a newly naturalised citizen of his/her previous citizenship unless and until that country ceases to consider the new US citizen as theirs.
All US citizens need to enter and leave the US on their US passports, including those that hold another citizenship(s). I totally agree with that stance and abide by it 100%. However once outside the US a dual citizen is free to pick the passport he/she wants to use. There may be times when that person has no choice. Pakistan will let Pakistanis enter using a foreign passport. However there are countries (Albania, Iran, etc) that will not grant entry to dual citizens until they use their national passport. So what will someone do then? By your stance of not having the freedom to pick a passport, what will this person do?
I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.

Yes, I completely see your point. Sorry for the confusion I've caused. You are right. I did not mean to suggest that the oath of allegiance would strip someone of their former citizenship. My views are in line with the State Department's in not encouraging it based on "a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause". People are free to use whatever passport they want outside the United States. My views were just based on the whole principle of taking the oath of allegiance, being proud to be an American, considering yourself to be American, and choosing to present yourself as American when possible.

To Triple Citizen

I am in the process of getting US citizenship and have recently travelled to pakistan and they did ask me for my green card when i went...this was in April this year....i just want to clear things in my mind as i'll be travelling again soon IA

my question still remains unanswered :confused:

Enter Pakistan on your Pakistani passport. If someone asks you about your US status/evidence then you can show them your US passport. No one should ask you but in case they do, pull out your US passport and show it to them. No one will object to it since Pakistan's policy on dual citizenship should be well known to immigration officials at the airport.
Relax and have a safe trip.

Asif2000,
The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. You took an oath of allegiance that states that you are renouncing all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign state. While the U.S. does not formally make you renounce your Pakistani citizenship, you are still expected to present yourself as a U.S. citizen and travel with a U.S. passport. You should not be picking one citizenship to use over another because one may be more convenient.

I am a proud Citizen of USA and I am a proud Citizen of Pakistan. There is no denying that. If dual citizenship (between the two countries) wasn't an option I wouldn't have applied for U.S Citizen. My U.S Citizenship is near and dear to me but not at the cost of giving up my original one.

Having said that, I had read the following from an official U.S website before I even applied for my U.S Citizenhip.

DUAL NATIONALITY (AMERICAN/PAKISTAN)

I was born in Pakistan but am now an American citizen. Can I claim my Pakistani nationality?

Dual nationality with the United States was carried out under section 14(3) of the Pakistan Citizenship Act of 1951 which says that Pakistani citizens who acquired US citizenship and subsequently ceased to be citizens of Pakistan under section 14(1) of the Act shall be considered citizens of Pakistan and they shall be deemed never to have lost their Pakistani citizenship. They have the same rights, privileges, and obligations they had before acquiring U.S. citizenship. (Source: Pakistan Citizenship Act of 1951)

What effect will this have on my American citizenship?

Exercising your dual nationality will not result in the loss of your U.S. citizenship. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.

Link: http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/pakistan/cs_info_faqs.html

Enter Pakistan on your Pakistani passport. If someone asks you about your US status/evidence then you can show them your US passport. No one should ask you but in case they do, pull out your US passport and show it to them. No one will object to it since Pakistan's policy on dual citizenship should be well known to immigration officials at the airport.
Relax and have a safe trip.

thanks for your reply :) ...hope i get over with my N400 process and travel soon