• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DS-260 - To Complete ASAP Or Not To Complete ASAP

Hi Everyone

Sorry for the Shakespeare quote above (I just thought it funny).

My wife (married yesterday :) ) will have her passport renewed when she goes to Spain in June (it expires mid June). Therefore, the passport information for the ds-260 form will be invalid since she will have a new passport by the time of the interview.

Should we submit the ds-260 form now with the passport information we have, and then ask the KCC to unlock it in order to update the passport when she has her new passport, or should we wait until we get the new passport and only then submit the ds-260 form (she will only get her new passport sometime in June).

My gut feeling is to submit now and then update, but then again, I already have a slight blemish with the marriage thing (see http://forums.immigration.com/threads/marital-status.326280/), so I want to play this perfectly.

Baz

Congrats on the marriage ;)

As its only a month I'd be inclined to say delay submitting till she gets her new passport.

Thanks SusieQQQ. Let me ask you something: What is the maximum date one can submit the ds-260 form and not be penalized? Our case number is 2016EU000106XX - when would that number typically be called for the interview?

Thanks SusieQQQ. Let me ask you something: What is the maximum date one can submit the ds-260 form and not be penalized? Our case number is 2016EU000106XX - when would that number typically be called for the interview?

Can't give you a precise maximum date because we don't know how long processing will take in DV2016 - and it can vary over a year, judging by last year the last safe date to submit will be early March (4 months before the July scheduling round which will schedule the last, September interviews for DV2016). Your number is quite low so that means you could interview a lot earlier than that if you submit earlier. Of course if they speed up processing later than March might still be safe, but we can't say that for sure at the moment.

Yeah, that makes sense. But considering our low number, if we wait until the passport is renewed (and therefore submit the ds-260 in late June or early July), would that potentially make us wait longer for the interview than if we could submit now?

Yeah, that makes sense. But considering our low number, if we wait until the passport is renewed (and therefore submit the ds-260 in late June or early July), would that potentially make us wait longer for the interview than if we could submit now?

I'm not said when you might interview, but it would delay it max a month or two vs doing it now. Unless you are desperate for the earliest possible date I can't see it's an issue. Alternatively submit now and then unlock...

Yeah, I would like to submit now and unlock, but would that raise any eyebrows on the US side.

Thanks so much @SusieQQQ - wish we (my wife and I) could take you out for dinner somewhere in Cape Town. Maybe in the future :)

Hi @bazsouthafrica I have a dodgy idea to run past you - have you ever thought of getting your greencard and moving to Point Roberts (USA) but still working in Vancouver? (Point Roberts is a micro chunk of the USA near Vancouver)

Hi @bazsouthafrica I have a dodgy idea to run past you - have you ever thought of getting your greencard and moving to Point Roberts (USA) but still working in Vancouver? (Point Roberts is a micro chunk of the USA near Vancouver)

This is indeed a dodgy idea. I've seen a discussion on this somewhere on the other forum. Apparently crossing the border so frequently raises big questions.
Anyway, surely the point of a green card would be to get better weather :p

Baz, I would guess your CN would be current around December or January. So - you could submit now and unlock or delay a month - it won't make any difference either way, and if it did delay you a month - does that even matter?

Baz, I would guess your CN would be current around December or January. So - you could submit now and unlock or delay a month - it won't make any difference either way, and if it did delay you a month - does that even matter?

Hi Simon. Our objective is to get to the interview ASAP. The sooner I get to the interview, the sooner I will be able to tell you guys the outcome :)

@Britsimon Please can I just confirm that there not be any penalties if I submit now and and unlock when we get the new passport.

Hi @guestgulkan - nope, I want to be in the USA. For various reasons, but one reason is that I work for a fortune 500 company, and their HQ is in the USA. So there will be no incentive (besides the obvious beauty of Vancouver) that will draw me back. Besides, as @SusieQQQ has pointed out, that seems a bit dodgy!

Hi Simon. Our objective is to get to the interview ASAP. The sooner I get to the interview, the sooner I will be able to tell you guys the outcome :)

@Britsimon Please can I just confirm that there not be any penalties if I submit now and and unlock when we get the new passport.

No penalties for unlocking the DS form and updating the passport number.

No penalties for unlocking the DS form and updating the passport number.
Mom would you be able to let me know is there a penalty for updating (like taking additional time) to get the 2NL and interview scheduling if I update the employment status, change of address and current employment place? (I m going with AOS).

Mom would you be able to let me know is there a penalty for updating (like taking additional time) to get the 2NL and interview scheduling if I update the employment status, change of address and current employment place? (I m going with AOS).

Unlocking the DS-260 form and making any change whatsoever has absolutely no effect on interview scheduling for AOSers.