• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DS 260 Permanent Address question

Rute

Hey guys, I've been selected for further processing and my CN is 2015EU00025xxx.

I started to fill out the DS 260 but I'm stuck at this question:
Permanent Address
Please provide the following information on where you intend to live after arrival in the United States.

How can I provide an address in the US if I just found out I was selected? I have some idea regarding the city I want to live in (even that might change) but an actual address??

I wonder what some of you did regarding this...

Thanks for the help.

That question (on the old forms) used to be followed with "if known", ie it was optional. Do you have to provide an answer now?

Hey guys, I've been selected for further processing and my CN is 2015EU00025xxx.

I started to fill out the DS 260 but I'm stuck at this question:
Permanent Address
Please provide the following information on where you intend to live after arrival in the United States.

How can I provide an address in the US if I just found out I was selected? I have some idea regarding the city I want to live in (even that might change) but an actual address??

I wonder what some of you did regarding this...

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure if you put down "unknown for now" or something similar to that, you will be able to submit the form. You can always update/provide the information at the time of your interview, they're not rigid about stuff such as this.

It seems it's not optional anymore. And it won't let me move further without filling out this section.

Well, I have friends in the US but they live in San Diego and I intend to travel to NY. I'm tempted to write down their address just for the purpose of having the green card mailed to them but I'm afraid it will raise questions if the point of entry is JFK.

People change POE from when their form is submitted, or even after the interview itself, no questions ever asked about that. So go ahead and use your friend's address.

Agree with mom, it makes no difference what address you put. I'm sure 99% of people can't provide an exact address for where they will be living in a different country in 12-18 months time!!

Also to reassure you :) we had a GC address in New York, our port of entry was San Francisco ... No problems, no questions asked (other than confirming if we still wanted the NY address used or if we wanted to change it).

do You know the best way to get a us adress for the ds260 when You don't know nobody abroad? A serious mailing box not toi expansive for instance? Or any other alternative way? Thanks for tour answer because we need to film the ds 260 now!

do You know the best way to get a us adress for the ds260 when You don't know nobody abroad? A serious mailing box not toi expansive for instance? Or any other alternative way? Thanks for tour answer because we need to film the ds 260 now!

There are quite a few companies out there offering mail services. Some rates are $10US/month and others you only pay when you pick up items. Here are some examples:

http://www.usabox.com/rates.asp
https://www.usglobalmail.com/personal/mail-package-forwarding/
http://shiptotheborder.com/finding-your-us-shipping-address

I would prefer something like the last choice since you don't pay per month and only pay if you have to pick up something, but the disadvantage is all their locations are only near the Canada/US border.

I've never used these specific companies, but 10 years ago I used another company and had good experiences with them (they are no longer in business). But before you settle on a company, do research and see if any complaints out there about them. Make sure you choose a company that looks big, popular and has good ratings with organizations like the Better Business Bureau.

I would be very much surprised if USPS will deliver the GC to a mail service box. They've been known to actually not even deliver to residential addresses/mail box that does not have the recipient's name listed on the mail box, unless the GC is addressed as c/o who actually owns the mail box.

I don't see why you want to waste money at this stage renting a mail box. For the purpose of the DS-260 form, you can use the address of fellow writers/friends you mentioned in some other posts that you know, you can put down the street address of your home embassy in the US, or you can simply put unknown for now. You will always have the opportunity of updating the address at the time of your interview or POE for that matter.

I would be very much surprised if USPS will deliver the GC to a mail service box. They've been known to actually not even deliver to residential addresses/mail box that does not have the recipient's name listed on the mail box, unless the GC is addressed as c/o who actually owns the mail box.

I don't see why you want to waste money at this stage renting a mail box. For the purpose of the DS-260 form, you can use the address of fellow writers/friends you mentioned in some other posts that you know, you can put down the street address of your home embassy in the US, or you can simply put unknown for now. You will always have the opportunity of updating the address at the time of your interview or POE for that matter.

Yes this.

Most mail service companies are not PO box style addresses. Your mailing address would be your name above a normal address (their biz address) and the company will sort it into the right box based on your name.

But I agree, if it were me I wouldn't use any of these companies for my GC. I would put an address of a friend, or a friend of a friend, or try putting "unknown" for everything (the online DS-260 won't let you leave the address blank), and then update it at the time of first entry to the US when I had a address lined up.

Most mail service companies are not PO box style addresses. Your mailing address would be your name above a normal address (their biz address) and the company will sort it into the right box based on your name.

But I agree, if it were me I wouldn't use any of these companies for my GC. I would put an address of a friend, or a friend of a friend, or try putting "unknown" for everything (the online DS-260 won't let you leave the address blank), and then update it at the time of first entry to the US when I had a address lined up.

Yeah, I'm aware of how those mail service companies work. What I'm trying to point out is that USPS is extra careful when it comes to delivering the GC, it is a very sensitive document. The possibility of the GC being returned to USCIS as undeliverable (upon the realization by USPS that it is going to a mail service addres) is rather high IMO.

There are quite a few companies out there offering mail services. Some rates are $10US/month and others you only pay when you pick up items. Here are some examples:

http://www.usabox.com/rates.asp
https://www.usglobalmail.com/personal/mail-package-forwarding/
http://shiptotheborder.com/finding-your-us-shipping-address

I would prefer something like the last choice since you don't pay per month and only pay if you have to pick up something, but the disadvantage is all their locations are only near the Canada/US border.

I've never used these specific companies, but 10 years ago I used another company and had good experiences with them (they are no longer in business). But before you settle on a company, do research and see if any complaints out there about them. Make sure you choose a company that looks big, popular and has good ratings with organizations like the Better Business Bureau.

I personally use: http://www.shipito.com/

It has a number of warehouses so you can choose from a three different states. I use the Virtual Mailbox option which costs $50 a year annual fee + $2-3 per item they send you (I always use the cheapest airmail). There's a $0 individual package plan that might suit some of the readers.

You get an email when something arrives and can get them to photo it etc.. all options online. I'm satisfied.

From what I understand you will need to have an address by your interview at the latest. People have reported that COs won't issue the visas without a US address. This can of course be changed at POE.

Yeah, I'm aware of how those mail service companies work. What I'm trying to point out is that USPS is extra careful when it comes to delivering the GC, it is a very sensitive document. The possibility of the GC being returned to USCIS as undeliverable (upon the realization by USPS that it is going to a mail service addres) is rather high IMO.

One person on our home country forum has reported successfully using one of these for GC, but I would agree that in general it may be risky. Like you I have heard of cases where usps doesn't deliver because the name on the mailbox is different.

Thanks everybody
In fact thé Po box seems not so trust full.
Thé adress of thé French embassy in LA for instance would it suit? Or a local association of French immigrants?
Let us know please

The french Embassy in the USA had just told me we didn't have to put an address in the USA on the DS-260 because it is rejected by the US government. But on the DS-260 you have to give an US address before to have the possibility to go forward! so PLEASE WHAT HACE WE TO DO???
Thanks everybody

The french Embassy in the USA had just told me we didn't have to put an address in the USA on the DS-260 because it is rejected by the US government. But on the DS-260 you have to give an US address before to have the possibility to go forward! so PLEASE WHAT HACE WE TO DO???
Thanks everybody

You can use any address - you will have an opportunity to change it later on both at the interview and also at the POE.

Thanks everybody

Seriously? You contacted the French embassy in the US to ask if you could use the address on your DS-260 form? All you need is simply the building no and the street address, it's not like you will start out by writing "French Embassy" on the address line. You will not even be receiving any mail there for goodness sake, it's simply to have some information on that section to enable you move forward with submitting your form for goodness sake! Frankly speaking you make bloody well make up whatever address on the form. We've told you over and over again, it's not like the address is written in stone, you will be able to make changes to the address at the time of your interview!!

*oh well ..... throws up hands in frustration and walking out of the room*