• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DS-260 - getting married and best time to file

mk76

Hi!
I have got a few questions about form DS-260. My fiancee has been recently randomly selected for further processing in DV 2016 program. Her case number is 2016EU00008xxx. My mother 1 year ago filed for me form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) - I am in F2B category. Now everything has changed :) My fiancee CN is very low so I am predicitng interview for october/november 2015, but this is not advantageous situation for us, beacuse I am still studying (I will graduate in june 2016). We are planning to get married in 2016 (february-may) and I would like to ask is there possibility to 'delay' interview to may/june 2016 or she will be excluded because her cut-off number was current in october/november 2015? When should we file form DS260? Could she file DS260 as single for example on march 2016 and then change it before interview when we get married?
And my last question - Am I obliged to inform USCIS about my martial status when we got married (because of I-130 petition filed by my mother)?
Thanks in advance.

If I was you I'd go for the DV visa. You'll be waiting years and years to get sponsored by your Mother. From what I can see you'll have to wait another 6 years for your F2B visa. In the meantime you'll be living apart from your wife. Not good for your relationship.

Just because you get your visa in October doesn't mean you have to move to the USA in October. You have 6 months after your medical to activate the greencard then another year to move.

I think you should do the following: have an official marriage ASAP, fill in the DS-260, get the DV visa, have a one week vacation in New York, finish your degree, move to the USA forever.

Last question: yes, but you should go to the F and G visa forum since I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the reply :)
For me getting DV visa is also the easiest way :p
But now our life is a little bit complicated and we don't want to get married this year (but also it is not an option if only my fiancee will get dv visa and then sponsor me - too much 'paperwork' and we will be apart), so I am just asking for some advice if my 'little sneaky' plan is worth a penny - other words - should we chill out and without stress wait till new year or we should start doing something ASAP.
Yeah, I am also aware that we have 6 months to move to USA after medical examination - and that's why I'm trying to delay our interview to get more time to move to USA - we weren't well prepared for such things in our life like quick wedding and moving to USA :D

Maybe I will clarify the issue once again:
Indeed, we want to get married and go to the USA. However, we would like to have a wedding in the 1Q of 2016, whereas the interview will be probably in October/November this year... In this case, we would have to shift/postpone the visa interview with the cousil ... And the question is: Is it possible to postpone the interview a few months ahead (in order to arrange a wedding in the meantime)? Are there any problems when you try to postpone the interview (e.g. 6months)?
Looking for your support and suggestions... :)

Depends on your consulate. Some (like Sydney) it seems quite easy to postpone. Some others are very difficult, you often have no control over the new date, some will even be unable to give you a new date before you cancel the scheduled date, and you may end up losing the chance for the visa altogether if you try postpone so the general advice is not to postpone. Why don't you do a court wedding in time for the interview and do the big ceremony/party in 1Q?
The other option is to delay DS260 submission but that can be imprecise and you can still end up with an inconvenient interview date.

Oh and you do realise that as you are F2B your mom must be a LPR - so the immigration petition will fall away when you get married and you would have to wait for her to be a citizen and sponsor you under F3, should anything go wrong with the DV application. Long long wait that...

SusieQQQ thank you so much for the answer!
Now I see that postponing the already assigned date of interview with the consul is not a good idea... But maybe there is another option - maybe I could delay sending DS260 form itself - not sending it immediately (now) but for example in March 2016? Then, I suppose, the assigned date for interview would be around May/June 2016...
Does it work that way? Do you think it is a better idea? I do not know whether there is any deadline for sending the DS260 form...?

And just one more question in case I would get married this year: Is it possible to update the DS260 form after sending it to the consulate/KCC? I am wondering whether I should definetely get married before sending documents or is it possible to get married after sending them and then, update the documents online anytime before the interview?

I am just thinking about different options as even the court wedding is a bit challenging for us this year... ;)
I will appreciate your help very much.

You need to work it backwards, like this: Interviews are scheduled 2 months in advance, with one set of schedules prepared each month. If you want a May interview, you need to get into the scheduling round done at the beginning of March. This means kcc has to be finished processing your DS260 by then. Now is when the tricky part comes in: it used to take them 1-2 months to process, last year was mostly 3-4 months. So there is no really precise time frame to give you. If you submit 4 months before early March to be safe, and they go quicker, you may have an interview earlier than you want. If you delay to say Feb but then they take 4 months, you may only end up with August interview...

Depends on your consulate. Some (like Sydney) it seems quite easy to postpone. Some others are very difficult, you often have no control over the new date, some will even be unable to give you a new date before you cancel the scheduled date, and you may end up losing the chance for the visa altogether if you try postpone so the general advice is not to postpone. Why don't you do a court wedding in time for the interview and do the big ceremony/party in 1Q?
The other option is to delay DS260 submission but that can be imprecise and you can still end up with an inconvenient interview date.
Hi, do consulars appreciate court weddings? Especially since they count on wedding pictures as evidence. I'm asking because I am in the same situation in Ghana.

Hi, do consulars appreciate court weddings? Especially since they count on wedding pictures as evidence. I'm asking because I am in the same situation in Ghana.

Court weddings in general are recognized and acceptable for immigration purpose. Of course, depending on the situation involved or surrounding a particular case, there are other factors they take into consideration in determining whether a marriage is genuine or not.

A
Court weddings in general are recognized and acceptable for immigration purpose. Of course, depending on the situation involved or surrounding a particular case, there are other factors they take into consideration in determining whether a marriage is genuine or not.
Alright, thank you. We were gonna get married later this year but upon winning the dv lottery, I feel it's best to do a traditional marriage and court wedding, so we can travel together.
Another thing I want your opinion on: I have different middle names in birth cert and passport. I correctly used names in passport to fill entry, and now about to fill the ds260, I've been advised to match the birth certificate instead. But I feel that will not match my initial entry and will raise eyebrows, so I rather intend on using the same names I used in the entry(which are correctly names in my passport), and then use the alias section for the middle name that is on my birth cert. what do u also advise?

A

Alright, thank you. We were gonna get married later this year but upon winning the dv lottery, I feel it's best to do a traditional marriage and court wedding, so we can travel together.
Another thing I want your opinion on: I have different middle names in birth cert and passport. I correctly used names in passport to fill entry, and now about to fill the ds260, I've been advised to match the birth certificate instead. But I feel that will not match my initial entry and will raise eyebrows, so I rather intend on using the same names I used in the entry(which are correctly names in my passport), and then use the alias section for the middle name that is on my birth cert. what do u also advise?

The traditional and court wedding is a good idea. However, be prepared to show evidence of an existing relationship prior to your selection in order to prove the genuineness of your relationship.

The instruction was to fill out the eDV registration with your name as shown on your passport, which you correctly followed. You should therefore fill out your DS-260 form in that exact format. List the name(s) on your B/C and other documents you may have with more names under the "Other Names" section of the DS-260 form.

Is it possible to update the DS260 form after sending it to the consulate/KCC? I am wondering whether I should definetely get married before sending documents or is it possible to get married after sending them and then, update the documents online anytime before the interview?

And what about the above question? Is it allowed to get married after sending DS260 and then update it before the interview?

The traditional and court wedding is a good idea. However, be prepared to show evidence of an existing relationship prior to your selection in order to prove the genuineness of your relationship.

The instruction was to fill out the eDV registration with your name as shown on your passport, which you correctly followed. You should therefore fill out your DS-260 form in that exact format. List the name(s) on your B/C and other documents you may have with more names under the "Other Names" section of the DS-260 form.

Hi! I've been trying to gather all I can to prove relationship with my wife (married now!). I'm wondering if these are ok, or which ones to take out, and whether or not it's enough:
1. My phone log which has records of me calling her prior to selection.(From 3 months before selection)
2. My wife's phone log which has records of her calling me prior to selection(from 3 months before selection)
3. Whatsapp chatlog from when we first met to day of selection - about 2 years chat log
4. Vibes chat log
5. Lots of selfies and other pictures for the 2-year period
6. Emails from me to her current employers, looking for job placement for her
7. Old Instagram posts of us on her page with comments from friends, her picture on my page also with comments from friends (all prior to dv selection)
8. A few emails between us
9. Edv entry submission forms showing we entered together( I was the only one selected)
10. 2017 Dv submission forms showing we have applied again, together.(hoping they can check and see we have applied now as married).
11. We have a joint bank account
12. I'm now a beneficiary to her health insurance
13. We have an album of pictures of our marriage at the registry.

SussieQQQ, Sm1smom and Britsimon, kindly advise. Thanks in advance

Hi! I've been trying to gather all I can to prove relationship with my wife (married now!). I'm wondering if these are ok, or which ones to take out, and whether or not it's enough:
1. My phone log which has records of me calling her prior to selection.(From 3 months before selection)
2. My wife's phone log which has records of her calling me prior to selection(from 3 months before selection)
3. Whatsapp chatlog from when we first met to day of selection - about 2 years chat log
4. Vibes chat log
5. Lots of selfies and other pictures for the 2-year period
6. Emails from me to her current employers, looking for job placement for her
7. Old Instagram posts of us on her page with comments from friends, her picture on my page also with comments from friends (all prior to dv selection)
8. A few emails between us
9. Edv entry submission forms showing we entered together( I was the only one selected)
10. 2017 Dv submission forms showing we have applied again, together.(hoping they can check and see we have applied now as married).
11. We have a joint bank account
12. I'm now a beneficiary to her health insurance
13. We have an album of pictures of our marriage at the registry.

SussieQQQ, Sm1smom and Britsimon, kindly advise. Thanks in advance

Should be fine....