1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers License on Pending I485

Discussion in 'General I-485 and Related Issues' started by jprangi, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. jprangi

    jprangi Registered Users (C)

    I filed my 485 last year, and currently working on my EAD which is expiring on Sept 20th. Filed for EAD renewal on July 9th.
    H1B and I94 are expired.
    My License is expiring next week, went to DMV (CA) and lady said that I have to wait for my new EAD to get the license renewal. She refused to accept AP which is valid until Oct 5. She either I need new I94 or Extension letter OR EAD.

    You all know life is hell in US without licenses.
    Is there anything else I can do to get the driver license. Can I get Estension letter.
    What If I visit to Mexico (Not too far from LA) and get a new I94, does anyone know how long will that be valid. Any risk in doing that?

    Priority date is Sept 2006,
    Thank you,

  2. mmed

    mmed Volunteer Moderator

    To the best of my knowledge the EAD is the only accepted document in your case nothing else.
  3. immi_mygc

    immi_mygc Registered Users (C)

    You should have valid EAD at the time of renewal and you have valid till sept 20. doesn't it work. you should tell them and show them I485 receipt. In worst case you ask them to give for the valid period of EAD.
  4. jprangi

    jprangi Registered Users (C)

    Well I tried that, but the REP say that the document must be valid for atleast next 60 days. :(
  5. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

  6. immi_mygc

    immi_mygc Registered Users (C)

    Using AP there is no risk but it is not 100% guarantee you will get I94 till Oct 5. AP says you should be given upto one year. When I travelled they gave me for 11 months. But any one can use valid AP to come back, same will apply for Mexico. Better, think be in US - do work from home/cab for short period if neccessary and I would say you should be getting ur EAD within 45 days normally. Make sure you have applied AP too. That is too very important when particularly you do not have H1 to travel.
  7. desi2007

    desi2007 Registered Users (C)

    you need EAD or stamped visa in the passport. I am glad they agreed that doc should be valid for 60 days. In texas, its is 180 days. I am like you.This is the fifth time I have been to DMV. Real Id has made life upside down there. Finally I have done all the steps, except that new license come in the mail in texas. and it hasnt come after two weeks. after seeing the line there I dont think I am going to have it any time soon. But situation slightly better because they gave me a paper saying I can drive until I receive the other. why are these departments not appointing staff to take care of the huge crowd. Average wait has been anywhere from 2-3 hours
  8. jprangi

    jprangi Registered Users (C)

    Thank you everyone for replying to my question and sharing you exp.
    I will try once more and will try to convince Supervisor if I can atleast get an extension until my EAD expiring in Sept.
    Will let you know what I find.
    Thank you,

Share This Page