Driver's License for Immigrants

KGanzert said:
The best way to obtain a driver's license while waiting for your documents:

- First get an EAD ( even if you don't plan to work ).
- After you receive your EAD, get a SS#.
- Take with you the receipt letter from the immigration department saying that your status is pending to the DMV, together with your passport and SS#.
The letter from INS showing your pending status is very important! Please don't forget to take that to the DMV.
- When you talk to the DMV drones, don't show your EAD card unless they ask for it.
- If they ask for the EAD they will probably issue a driver's license for as long as the EAD is valid.
-If you don't show the EAD, they will issue a license for up to 7 years!! That's what happend to me. I didn't show my EAD and I got a 7 years license.
:)

I got my DL for 5 years, and I didnt have ssn yet at that time and I only showed them my passport and my marriage license,I came here under tourist visa B2.

getting dl

Hey Is There Anyway To Get A Dl In Az If:

You Have Your Hs Diploma
If You Go To The Irs And Ask For The Tax Payer's Return With No Ssn
If You Have A Banking Account

I Dont Know .. Do You I Can Get A Dl If I Dont Have A Ssn But I Can Get A Chekings Account With Some Other Documents .. Do You Think With That I'll Prove My Ssn ??

And My Hs Diploma Will Prove My Residency And Also If I Have The Tax Payer's Will Help

Or There Is No Way To Get It??

Please I've Been Trying But There Is No Way Please Tell Me If I Can Do Ti Or There Is Some Other Ways To Do It?

Unreadable Post

Your writing is so hard to read that I didn't finish, please edit your post so it's normal and readable and I will try to help you!

VLOP2003 said:
Hey Is There Anyway To Get A Dl In Az If:

You Have Your Hs Diploma
If You Go To The Irs And Ask For The Tax Payer's Return With No Ssn
If You Have A Banking Account

I Dont Know .. Do You I Can Get A Dl If I Dont Have A Ssn But I Can Get A Chekings Account With Some Other Documents .. Do You Think With That I'll Prove My Ssn ??

And My Hs Diploma Will Prove My Residency And Also If I Have The Tax Payer's Will Help

Or There Is No Way To Get It??

Please I've Been Trying But There Is No Way Please Tell Me If I Can Do Ti Or There Is Some Other Ways To Do It?

Ok !!

hey is there a way to get an arizona driver's license because the law here says that i can get a banking account BUT NOT a driver's license so i was wondering is there any possible way to get a DL with my bank account???.. i mean having a bank account would help me to prove ssn (even if i dont have one), right? would that help?? or if i have my HS diploma... i dont know does that help at all??? or having a fake SSN would help to get a DL using the SSN to get a tax payer's id and show that in the MVD can i do that here in AZ or there is no hope at all??? i've been here in AZ for the last 2 years and YES as an illegal i crossed the border with my visa b1/b2 and they dont even know im still in the country .. so i dont know.... im from mexico and i know for a fact that the INS is not gonna help so im trying to find ways to get a driver's license ......but honestly i dont know much about this deal... please help me and tell me if there any ANY way to do it.... thank you ... sincerely thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok let me putting this way

requirments for the DL in AZ :

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub/viewPDF.asp?lngProductKey=1410&lngFormInfoKey=1410

is says that i can get one DL showing 3 documents listed under secondary and 1 MUST be under primary

so look i have my foreign passport listed under primary and i can go to the bank and ask for a bank account (listed under secondary) and i need one more right? so i can show the id from my HS right?? and that makes them 3 // now tell me if im crazy .... because its sounds to good to be true ... please someone tell me if i can do that to get a DL ?? in AZ .. :confused: AM I CRAZY?!?!?!

Re: Arizona Driver License for Illegal Alien

VLOP2003 said:
hey is there a way to get an arizona driver's license because the law here says that i can get a banking account BUT NOT a driver's license so i was wondering is there any possible way to get a DL with my bank account???..

A bank account will not help you in getting a driver license, but a bank or credit card could be used as a secondary form of ID.

VLOP2003 said:
i mean having a bank account would help me to prove ssn (even if i dont have one), right? would that help??

A bank account does not help you prove a Social Security Number. If you don't have one, you don't have one, and a bank account does not change this fact.

VLOP2003 said:
or if i have my HS diploma... i dont know does that help at all???

A high school diploma will not help in any way but a school ID card can be used as secondary ID, but only if it has a photo.

VLOP2003 said:
or having a fake SSN would help to get a DL using the SSN to get a tax payer's id and show that in the MVD can i do that here in AZ or there is no hope at all???

When you say tax payer's id, are you thinking about the ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)? If you already have a SSN you cannot get an ITIN. ITINs are only for those ineligible for a SSN, see http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html for more information.

I believe the MVD will check SSNs with the Social Security Administration so a fake SSN will not help you with either getting an ITIN or a driver license.

VLOP2003 said:
i've been here in AZ for the last 2 years and YES as an illegal i crossed the border with my visa b1/b2 and they dont even know im still in the country .. so i dont know.... im from mexico and i know for a fact that the INS is not gonna help so im trying to find ways to get a driver's license ......but honestly i dont know much about this deal... please help me and tell me if there any ANY way to do it.... thank you ... sincerely thanks!!

There is no INS, it's called the USCIS nowadays, and yes, they have nothing to do with driver licenses whether you're illegal or not.

I believe Arizona is a state that requires you to be legally present in the USA to get a driver license, correct? In that case there is not much you can do since you are here illegally.

I recommend getting a Mexican driver license if you really need a driver license.

VLOP2003 said:
requirments for the DL in AZ :

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub/viewPDF.asp?lngProductKey=1410&lngFormInfoKey=1410

is says that i can get one DL showing 3 documents listed under secondary and 1 MUST be under primary

so look i have my foreign passport listed under primary and i can go to the bank and ask for a bank account (listed under secondary) and i need one more right? so i can show the id from my HS right?? and that makes them 3 // now tell me if im crazy .... because its sounds to good to be true ... please someone tell me if i can do that to get a DL ?? in AZ .. :confused: AM I CRAZY?!?!?!

It's not just the bank account you need, it's a bank card.

The foreign passport needs the I-94 and you are here illegally, I doubt they will take an expired I-94.

I believe Arizona requires lawful presence for a driver license, and if that's true, you can't get a license no matter what IDs you have. They are for identification but being able to identify yourself does not guarantee a driver license.

Thank You!!!!

thanks for that explanation .... i dont know .....is it worth trying?? can they away my passport and visa if i present it to the MVD ...?? because I DONT HAVE THE FORM I-94 because i crossed and they dont ask me for that i just crossed i have my visa but they dont even know im here.. does that help?

Re: Enforcement of Immigration Rules a Federal Matter Only

If the passport is real and the visa is also real it would be illegal for the MVD to take them for that reason.

But foreign passports are only valid for Arizona MVD ID purposes if they have an I-94 or admission stamp inside them so you can't use your passport for identification purposes with the Arizona MVD. Since you crossed the border without inspection I assume you don't have an admission stamp either.

Enforcement of federal immigration laws may only be performed by federal agents or others deputized by the federal government, even State/local police may not enforce immigration laws or regulations without federal deputization, and the MVD is a State agency so even their security or law enforcement agents cannot do anything about it.

The only thing they could do something about is if you use false/counterfeit/fraudulent documents or SSN, that would also be a violation of State law and then they could have you arrested.

But a real passport and a real visa, even if it would be expired, are not fraudulent.

If you absolutely need a U.S. driver license rather than a Mexican one, you might want to try one of the States that don't verify your legal presence.

VLOP2003 said:
thanks for that explanation .... i dont know .....is it worth trying?? can they away my passport and visa if i present it to the MVD ...?? because I DONT HAVE THE FORM I-94 because i crossed and they dont ask me for that i just crossed i have my visa but they dont even know im here.. does that help?

ok

thanks again !!! for all the info.

but even if i have a car and i know i can apply for my mexican DL .....i am IN NEED of one because i wanna go to college and that could help me alot to get in-state tuition so yes, i really need a US DL ... can i get a NM DL and drive in AZ during my college 2 years ?? because i live in AZ , i have everything in AZ ..... do you think that would work ???

Re: DL and in-State tuition for illegal alien in Arizona

You're welcome!

I don't know what they would say if you show an out-of-State DL even though you live in Arizona.

As an illegal alien you are not eligible for in-state tuition at AZ state universities, regardless of whether you have a driver license or not, so there is no point in trying to get a DL for tuition purposes.

VLOP2003 said:
thanks again !!! for all the info.

but even if i have a car and i know i can apply for my mexican DL .....i am IN NEED of one because i wanna go to college and that could help me alot to get in-state tuition so yes, i really need a US DL ... can i get a NM DL and drive in AZ during my college 2 years ?? because i live in AZ , i have everything in AZ ..... do you think that would work ???

Another question about CA Drivers License

About CA, my driver's license just expired 10 days ago, and I have NO idea how to get it renewed. I'm here with a Tourist Visa. My I-94's expired, and I don't have a SS#. All I have is a passport and my old I-94 stub. When I was at the DMV, I tried to renew it and they told me I needed my passport or SS, but since my I-94 was expired I was afraid to show them. I'm just trying to get it taken care of before I leave again. I've applied for a license extention when I found out about it a week before it expired, and I still haven't heard about it.
Is there anything else I haven't done to get my license renewed? I really still need to drive before I leave.

Any help would be apprieciated.
Thanks...!

amirali said:
Hello,

Has anyone out there got a California driver's license with Form I797 - Notice of Approval.

On California DMV website it states that you can use Form I797 as An acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document(s).

So has anyone gotten a Driver License using JUST form I797 only??

Please advise,

Thanks!!!!!!

Re: Another question about CA Driver License

I am not sure why they require proof of legal presence. Usually they only do it the first time, though maybe they keep a record of when your status expires.

If your I-94 is expired you are here illegally and CA does not issue driver licenses to illegal aliens.

So if you are required to show proof of legal presence, unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

JDM818 said:
About CA, my driver's license just expired 10 days ago, and I have NO idea how to get it renewed. I'm here with a Tourist Visa. My I-94's expired, and I don't have a SS#. All I have is a passport and my old I-94 stub. When I was at the DMV, I tried to renew it and they told me I needed my passport or SS, but since my I-94 was expired I was afraid to show them. I'm just trying to get it taken care of before I leave again. I've applied for a license extention when I found out about it a week before it expired, and I still haven't heard about it.
Is there anything else I haven't done to get my license renewed? I really still need to drive before I leave.

Any help would be apprieciated.
Thanks...!

Karlshammar said:
I am not sure why they require proof of legal presence. Usually they only do it the first time, though maybe they keep a record of when your status expires.

If your I-94 is expired you are here illegally and CA does not issue driver licenses to illegal aliens.

So if you are required to show proof of legal presence, unfortunately there is nothing you can do.
I see. Thanks.

Someone Must know Something,Email Me BestStopNShop@aol.com

Hello,I dont know why I picked you to email but for some reason I did ,do you know of a way to obtain A Drivers License,im from New York,but I have a very sick cousin whom got sick in January 2003 and till this day he cant work and have a 2 year old baby and will be marrying in 3 years after his Girlfriend finishes college,he cannot work because doctors think he's beyond Asthma because he tried all kinda of medicines and nothing worked and every little thing he does he gets tired so he thinks driving would be easy for him so then maybe he can work Taxi (cab )and that would be some extra money rather than doing nothing,do you know any state that can get a Drivers License ,he has a Tax Indentification Number and come probably come up with 6 points if necessary but Visa is expired and passport is Valid renewed it recently,I might just email some others,please email me back,Thank you

hey..im here in florida and i need license...
i came here on J-1 visa (excjange student) but stayed and asked to change my status to B-2 (6 month extension)....
i didnt get my license earlier cuz i never expected to stay longer...
Now i have my I-94.... but it is expired(jun 30,,2005) but how i said i have asked for extension and got notice of action I-797C....so actually its not expired...
i have license from my country...(only for motorcycle but no one can see)
i am enrolled in highschool, and i have this I-797C thing (case type I-539)
......so am i eligible for license????????????im 17...turning 18 in Nov so i dont know if i'll get permit or normal license...
im gonna try day after tomorrow and than i'll write how it went....
good luck to u all !!!

hi this is dilek
i live in arizona about 4 years uscis just approved my case which is I 130.
i came here as a tourist and didint leave usa after 6 months and my 10 years tourist visa expired cus i got adopted an filed application I 130 while i was visiting...my current status is illegal i believe.. my question is is there any way that i can get a driving licence?? and ssn since uscis approved my case.??

Karlshammar said:
Congratulations!

Yeah, it's always worth trying. A friend of mine who was here without a visa (visa-waiver as a tourist) applied for a CA DL and got it. A lot of the people at the DMV don't know much about USCIS documents and will accept anything from the USCIS. He even got a regular, 5-year validity DL, and he had no SS#, he just got the paper from the SSA saying he's not eligible.
is there nothing at all for illegals? Are all the laws about DLs the same regarding social security..because i know California is very strict

Non-eligility letter from SS Office

If you need a driver license and have no SS #, go to SS office, apply for SS # by showing your INS receipts (That shows that you have applied for Green Card), you will most likely not get a number but you will receive the letter that you are not eligible for SS# right now. (you can always re-apply later on for SS #).
Take this letter and go to DMV, they give you a license. It worked in GA.