1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver's License for Immigrants

Discussion in 'Issues Related to Obtaining Driver's License from ' started by KGanzert, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. KGanzert

    KGanzert New Member

    The best way to obtain a driver's license while waiting for your documents:

    - First get an EAD ( even if you don't plan to work ).
    - After you receive your EAD, get a SS#.
    - Take with you the receipt letter from the immigration department saying that your status is pending to the DMV, together with your passport and SS#.
    The letter from INS showing your pending status is very important! Please don't forget to take that to the DMV.
    - When you talk to the DMV drones, don't show your EAD card unless they ask for it.
    - If they ask for the EAD they will probably issue a driver's license for as long as the EAD is valid.
    -If you don't show the EAD, they will issue a license for up to 7 years!! That's what happend to me. I didn't show my EAD and I got a 7 years license.
  2. aasalame

    aasalame Registered Users (C)


    What kind of visa do you have? Does this apply to visitor visa? If you have a visitor visa what to do to get SSN?
  3. liz4real

    liz4real New Member

    what is a ead
  4. maybesomeday

    maybesomeday Registered Users (C)

    Ead is an employment authorization document (card). It can be applied for with a pending I-485 (green card) application.
    I think getting the driver's license with just a pending I-485 probably won't work. I have a AP I-94 which has a "paroled to" date well after the EAD expire date. Has anyone used an AP stamp before?
  5. maybesomeday

    maybesomeday Registered Users (C)

    got license renewed!!!

    We went to one of the MVD offices in AZ today and got our driver's licenses renewed. I had an EAD so that was simple but my wife only had a stamped AP (advance parole) I-94. The desk person stared at the AP and the I-94 for what it seemed like forever and then okayed it for the duration of the parole period. The acceptable forms of I-94 ID lists a bunch of temporary and visitor visas that they don't accept but since AP is not listed as one of them, I guess it was ok.
  6. alren

    alren Registered Users (C)

    No you cannot get a SSN/DL on visitor's visa.
  7. dedessiqueira

    dedessiqueira New Member

    How can i get this letter from ins?

    I got a Big Question. How Can i apply for this letter from Ins, saying that i can apply for a legal drive license, for 2 or 7 years, i have no social security number.

    Thanks !
  8. maybesomeday

    maybesomeday Registered Users (C)

    What letter are you referring to? If you mean EAD, it's a work authorization (more a card than a letter). It is available after applying for a green card.
  9. dedessiqueira

    dedessiqueira New Member

    Drive License

    hey...everybody here in florida, talk about one letter saying that you can apply for legal drive license, (letter from INS). i want to know how can i have this letter, you know what i mean?
  10. nkm-oct23

    nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

    Read this, it is from Florida DMV website. There is no mention of any letter from INS.

    Non-United States Citizens

    Original Driver License or Identification Card Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth and social security number (if issued) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

    Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

    1. Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-151 or I-551); or
    2. I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
    3. Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or
    4. I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
    5. I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved; or


    Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

    1. Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
    2. Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
    * F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
    * I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
    * Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

    The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.

    3. I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
    4. I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
    5. IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
    * All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
    * Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
    * Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
    * All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
    * Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
    * If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
  11. Karlshammar

    Karlshammar Registered Users (C)

    There is no such letter. If you apply for adjustment of status, you will get a letter from the USCIS (formerly INS) saying they are processing your case. It's at the discretion of each individual employee whether to accept it. If you apply for adjustment of status without being qualified for it, though, you will be denied, your current status may be forfeited, and then you'll have to leave the USA. Just get a driver license the normal way. If you are here legally and not just as a temporary tourist/on a temporary business trip, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are here illegally, a driver license is the least of your problems...

  12. Brazilian26

    Brazilian26 New Member

    Just Applied For Renewal Using I-797C for I-485 in Florida

    I just left the DL Office with a temporary permit in my hand (they kept the soon to expire one) and a promise that I should be getting the real one in the mail in the next 30 days. All I showed were my old DL and my I-485 NOA (the very first one). It was renewed for 2 years. I didn't see the NOA in the list of approved documents to prove legal presence, but since I read in a bunch of attorneys' websites saying that while a person has an I-485 pending he/she is with a valid status and that many DL offices including FL had a policy of accepting the NOA as proof of legal presence, I decided to try it...
  13. Karlshammar

    Karlshammar Registered Users (C)


    Yeah, it's always worth trying. A friend of mine who was here without a visa (visa-waiver as a tourist) applied for a CA DL and got it. A lot of the people at the DMV don't know much about USCIS documents and will accept anything from the USCIS. He even got a regular, 5-year validity DL, and he had no SS#, he just got the paper from the SSA saying he's not eligible.

  14. Brazilian26

    Brazilian26 New Member

    Just got my driver's license!!!

    Here's an update to my post on 02/01/05...I've just got my 2-year DL in the mail....Good Luck to all of you.
  15. soorajm

    soorajm Registered Users (C)


    I'm in USA now..

    In my passport Given Name is blank and my complete name is in surname.

    In VISA also complete name is in Last Name and First Name is written as "FNU" - Stands for First Name Unknown.

    In I-94 First Name and Last Name are written seperately. I didnt have any problem in entering here. and I got MY SSN also with first name and last name seperately.

    But problem came when i tried for Driving License. DMV said they can't issue a driving license bcause of name mismatch in VISA, I-94 and SSN. They are asking for my original birth certificate. That I dont have.

    Please help me out what should I do to correct all these or to get license???

    Thanks a lot,
  16. Karlshammar

    Karlshammar Registered Users (C)

    Hmm, how come your passport was wrong in the first place? You complicated things by going in here with your documents all wrong.

    You don't mention your country, but if it's possible, I would order a birth certificate from there and correct all your documents that you can correct with it, i.e. get a new passport, corrected Social Security card, and then apply for a driver license.

  17. amirali

    amirali New Member

    California DL with Form I797 - Notice of Approval


    Has anyone out there got a California driver's license with Form I797 - Notice of Approval.

    On California DMV website it states that you can use Form I797 as An acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document(s).

    So has anyone gotten a Driver License using JUST form I797 only??

    Please advise,

  18. Karlshammar

    Karlshammar Registered Users (C)

    The I-797 doesn't have a picture on it, right? In that case, you'd probably also need proper photo ID.

  19. amirali

    amirali New Member

    Thanks so much for the reply. No my Form I797 doesnt have a picture. I do have a Texas Driver License, would that work for photo ID?

    Please advise thanks!!
  20. Karlshammar

    Karlshammar Registered Users (C)

    You're very welcome, Amirali!

    Yes, an out-of-state driver license is accepted as photo ID by the California DMV. If it's unexpired, it might also get you your license without the driving test. They do have the ability to require a driving test of you if they wish, though, but it is not commonly done for out-of-state driver license holders.


Share This Page