1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

driver license valid for only one year and three months

Discussion in 'Issues Related to Obtaining Driver's License from ' started by zha, Nov 14, 2017.

1. zha

zha New Member

I wrote an online complaint to Georgia DMV: I have just received my driver license valid for only one year and three months. It expires in Feb 2019, 8 months before my green card (2 year conditional) expires. This causes a huge problem for me. I will not be able to renew my driver license before I start the application of renewing my green card in July 2019. This means I will have several months without a valid driver license. The system is unfair, and violation of human rights. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe I sounded too harsh. or it's unwise to make accusations: system unfair, violation of human rights. I hope I don't get into trouble. I do feel they make it hard for us to obtain a driver license. Life is difficult here without a car. If the public transport is great here, then I should not be worried.

2. zha

zha New Member

I received a limited-term license.
    This is what I found regarding "limited-term":
    § 37.21 Temporary or limited-term driver's licenses and identification cards.
    States may only issue a temporary or limited-term REAL ID driver's license or identification card to an individual who has temporary lawful status in the United States.
    (a) States must require, before issuing a temporary or limited-term driver's license or identification card to a person, valid documentary evidence, verifiable through SAVE or other DHS-approved means, that the person has lawful status in the United States.
    (b) States shall not issue a temporary or limited-term driver's license or identification card pursuant to this section:
    (1) For a time period longer than the expiration of the applicant's authorized stay in the United States, or, if there is no expiration date, for a period longer than one year; and
    ....(Omitted)
    Source: uscis.gov/ilink/docView/6CFR/HTML/6CFR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-4972/0-0-0-5318.html