Driver license based on pending asylum case

hus88am

Hi everyone ...

I have a very simple problems that's holding me from doing anything ...
I came to US using B2 visa last summer , I applied for asylum and somehow I didn't receive my interview letter so I had to reschedule my interview .
my b2 visa status expired JAN 2013
I did my Interview APR 2013
I live in Michigan and the area I live in has no public transportation at all , I want to buy a car so I can go out to study and visit friends and so on .
but I don't have a driver license ......I lost all my docs from my origin country (except for passport ) , and I understand that to have a driver license in Michigan you must have social-security number ?? (I am not sure as I am not familiar with all the words used in government websites

can I get a driver license using my A number ? or any available method ? or must I wait asylum approval ?

thanks & excuse my bad English .

You can apply right now cause you're in legal status.

To apply for Driver's License in Michigan you need the following docs:

- A valid Social Security number or proof of ineligibility
go to the SSN office and get the one if you are above 150 days of asylum pending or proof of ineligibility of you're under 150 days or your EAD clock stopped

- Legal presence in the U.S
show the letter from USCIS regarding your case is accepted so you're in legal status

- Identity
your passport

- Michigan residency (at least two documents are required)
Credit/debit card, phone/internet/rent or any other king of bills showing you're live in Michigan.

Well, you are falling in a small gap in the system. You can't issue a driver license if your I-94 card is expired (even if you are on a pending asylum case). You have to wait till you either have a positive response OR until getting the EAD after 150 Days.
However, if for any reason, you managed to get the driver license, please let us know!

PeterUS is right, you cant do anything until a decision is made. The only state you can get a driver license without a social security is in WA! You only need your passport and an address. Just be patient, I'm sure you will be granted......

Hi everyone ...

I came to US using B2 visa last summer , I applied for asylum and somehow I didn't receive my interview letter so I had to reschedule my interview .
my b2 visa status expired JAN 2013
I did my Interview APR 2013
I live in Michigan and the area I live in has no public transportation at all , I want to buy a car so I can go out to study and visit friends and so on .
but I don't have a driver license ......I lost all my docs from my origin country (except for passport ) , and I understand that to have a driver license in Michigan you must have social-security number ?? (I am not sure as I am not familiar with all the words used in government websites

can I get a driver license using my A number ? or any available method ? or must I wait asylum approval ?

Last edited by a moderator:
[the only state. I know is Washington i know that for a fact because i have tons of friends from Brazil there and they all know that. Arizona gives you a DL for 33 years lol if you have a ssn. Strange huh?

QUOTE=flagman;2617214]What about IL? 2 years ago they made w/o SSN as far as i know.[/QUOTE]

thanks

thank you guys...
about WA ?? I need my passport and an address (just to make sure my address is in MI ).

I am afraid that If I wait for the decision it could take months , I guess I have to go to WA even thought travelling using public transportation , cash money , expired visa doesn't sound fun for an Arabic man who always get picked "randomly" by security officers . :p

So, I guess, you dont have a choice! JUST WAIT.

thank you guys...
about WA ?? I need my passport and an address (just to make sure my address is in MI ).

I am afraid that If I wait for the decision it could take months , I guess I have to go to WA even thought travelling using public transportation , cash money , expired visa doesn't sound fun for an Arabic man who always get picked "randomly" by security officers . :p

thank you guys...

Well, You need to live in WA and lease an apartment or house to be able to get. BTW, Mississippi state issues a driver license without even a valid status, but you also need to have a fixed address in there.

At any rate, did you check the department of state where you live? Simply just go and ask! No problem with that! And please post here if you get a response!

Hi everyone ...

I came to US in taxas by road 2013 , I applied for asylum and this case final 2018. but i dont have work authorig. and my EAD clock is look.
I live in new york and I want to buy a car so I can go out to study and visit friends and so on .
but I don't have a driver license ......I have bank account, and my cuntry passport I understand that to have a driver license in new york you must have social-security number ?? (I am not sure as I am not familiar with all the words used in government websites