Domestic Violence related interview experience

Congratulations DV02! I'm in a similar situation. Arrested within last 5 yrs/Charges Dismissed by court/Pleaded not guilty to DV incident.

What happens if your citizenship app gets denied on this basis?

So I read all of the posts here, and while there's a WEALTH of information here - I think I'm going to find an immigration lawyer with experience in criminical law.

I tried Rajiv K and Sheela M - they are both in the VA area, and the fees are very high for in person representation.

How does one go about finding a good lawyer in the NJ area for this?

In-person representation may not be that useful. Lawyers are just there to observe. You may only need to have lawyer write a memorandum.

js88088,

If the charges were dismissed then you should be fine. Your citizenship shouldn't get denied because there are no charges. Were you put on any kind of probation or did u have the case pre-trial diversion? If any of the two are true in you case, USCIS still considers it as DV incident and can deny the citizenship application based on Moral character. But if you apply 5 years from the date of DV incident (and top be more safe, 5 yrs after the court date), you should be fine and will have very high chances of N-400 approval.

Good Luck.

Congratulations DV02! I'm in a similar situation. Arrested within last 5 yrs/Charges Dismissed by court/Pleaded not guilty to DV incident.

You entered plea of not guilty and charges were dropped. This does not result in conviction for immigration purposes..you're fine.

You entered plea of not guilty and charges were dropped. This does not result in conviction for immigration purposes..you're fine.

I feel better already :)

So still two open questions
1. How does one go about finding a good immigration lawyer with experience with similar cases in the NJ area for this?
2. What happens if your N400 is denied for any reason? I'm trying to get a sense of the risk here - am I better off waiting for another three yrs, or if I have nothing to lose - should I try now?

js88088,

The following two websites are very resource for finding good attorneys. You need to go and meet at least 5 to 6 to find out who's good and fits your needs. You might have to shell out some money for initial consultation, until somebody came point you to one from their experience.
www.aila.org/
www.martindale.com/

If there is denial for any reason, then the denial letter will list it clearly. Usually USCIS may or may not list a period before you can re-apply. If there was not pre-trial diversion and no probation, you should get the N-400 approved if you tried now.

If there was a police report about the incident, then the IO can use it to grill you on it. Hence I think it is a good idea to consult an immigration attorney who will give you a better idea after getting more specific details about your case.

Good Luck.

I feel better already :)

So still two open questions
1. How does one go about finding a good immigration lawyer with experience with similar cases in the NJ area for this?
2. What happens if your N400 is denied for any reason? I'm trying to get a sense of the risk here - am I better off waiting for another three yrs, or if I have nothing to lose - should I try now?

Hi I am waiting for my interview. My wife and me got in to argument and little we started push each other and she called the cops on me. And I arrested for domestic violence. Later charges were dropped. I just want to know before the aos interview what I can expect at the interview about the case. What kind of impact shows on my interview. Means it should be plus or minus to my case.
When my initial appearance at the court the judge called the immigration and informed them possible fraud marriage. When I’m out on bond. The next day I went to courthouse to see my public defender. She wasn’t there and I came out from the courthouse ICE officer stopped me and asked for passport then he started asking questions about the case and after he started asking details about my relationship and details about my wife he wrote everything what I said and he told me the consequences if the charges weren’t dropped and left. Should I worry
Please anyone help me so I can be prepared for the interview

Thank you so much

Can you please give more details, there are lot of ways you can ex plunge records. Also, you are convicted in this case ?

Hello I have one conviction 7 years ago
2 arrest no conviction
I applied and received greencard. I want to adjust to usc. Will I have a problem?

would the alien spouse be deportable ( 2 year conditional GC ) if the USC spouse sent a letter to immigration with solid evidence of DV against alien spouse but never reported to the police or went to criminal court?

would the alien spouse be deportable ( 2 year conditional GC ) if the USC spouse sent a letter to immigration with solid evidence of DV against alien spouse but never reported to the police or went to criminal court?

No, your spouse will not be deported based on your claim of DV against them. We went through this with you before. You cannot get them deported, divorce and move on. Removing the conditions on their conditional GC will be solely dependent on them provided they can demonstrate they did not enter into a sham marriage for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.