Does my child get citizenship automatically after my naturalization

kmd753

I apologize if this was asked and answered. I went through several pages after searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

My son who is 14 and I are both green card holders. I am thinking of applying for citizenship. Will he gain citizenship through my naturalization or will I have to submit an application for him as well? I'd like to do it before he is 18 in the hopes we can have it all taken care of and avoid unnecessary fees. $700 is quite steep as it is. I'd like to not double it if I don't have to :)

Thanks in advance,
K

He will automatically (and involuntarily) become a US citizen. You can apply for a US passport for him at any time after he becomes a citizen. The proof of his citizenship to apply for his passport will be his green card + your Certificate of Naturalization.

However, although it is not mandatory and it is pretty expensive, in the long term, it might be a good idea to file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship for him, to serve as a backup proof of citizenship that doesn't expire. For example, if he loses his passport in the future, and he needs to apply for another one, he can use the Certificate of Citizenship. Otherwise, if he doesn't have a Certificate of Citizenship, he will have to dig up your Certificate of Naturalization, which will be a pain decades down the road.