Documents needed for Naturalization

Ok, let's take this from the top.

-- Getting married on a GC is fine. You are allowed to.
-- Lying about getting married at any point in the process is not fine.

When you got married, did she apply for a student visa after the marriage? If yes, did she say she wasn't married (that is an issue).

If she just got a student visa on her own, that's fine. If she was not married and said she wasn't married, that's fine too.

Now, as for you --
- did you file your N-400 that you were not married? That would be an issue. I would suggest being extremely honest here.

One alternative is to get a US civil marriage and then use that as your marriage date. But you have to be honest. DO NOT stay silent through your citizenship -- you are getting your citizenship with factual inaccuracies that could come back to bite you.

You should also probably speak to a lawyer.

Pay attention-traffic tickets MUST need to be reported on the application. Also, if someone has received too many tickets, whether those are for speeding, changing lanes wrongly, turning on no U turn zone and etc, then some officers may deny your application. .

READ INSTRUCTIONS:

For example, if you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you must send a certified copy of the arrest report, court disposition, sentencing and any other relevant documents, including any countervailing evidence concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

N-400 Receipt with Exception

Hi All

I received a receipt of my N-400 application BUT with an Exception. The NOA says that the application was received but has been noted with one or more of the following exceptions. It then showed "Missing Evidence" but does not state what the missing evidence is. All it says (next to the Missing Evidence) i sthe following:
" your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of your naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence9s) by mail."

I submitted the following with my N-400:

1. Two passport color photographs with Alien number on the back of each photo
2. Fees for $330 and $70 (2 separate checks)
3. Front and back copies of my green card
4. A separate sheet indicating the approx. dates and details of traffic tickets with my Alien # on the separate sheet

The only thing I can guess is because I wrote under the citations, detentions etc table that I am attending traffic school (which I completed today), that I need to bring proof of completion..

Can anyone think of any other reason? I am not sure whether I needed to send any other documents (other than the ones mentioned above) along with my N-400.

Appreciate any input on this!

N-400 timeline:

N-400 sent: 8/17/2006
N-400 recieved: 8/21/2006
Priority Date: 8/21/2006
NOA date sent: 9/7/2006
NOA received: 9/8/2006
FP notice sent: 9/11/2006
FP Date: 9/27/2006
Interview: ??
Oath: ??

Ignore it. It is boilerplate language. Everyone gets it (I got it). Unless you get a separate letter from them, this is just CYA stuff.

Just make sure you take all the documents that you need to the interview with you (including the traffic school completion). The "What to take" list on this forum by JohnnyCash is excellent.

N400 Documents?

Do we need to provide a copy of speeding tickets and payment information as well?

Here is what I am planning to take for the interview

Regarding traffic tickets, I am planning to take the following:

Court Records from the county where I got the tickets (since I don;t have copies of the citations). Based on my phone conversation today with the court clerk they do a microfiche research on your name and will identify all the tickets that you had and the dispositions for the same (ie dismissals, forfeitures etc)

DMV Record from the two states that I lived since I got my green card.

and the following (thanks to the excellent article by JohnnyCash)

- Passport Photographs (4)
- Pencil(s)
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Selection Service Letter
- Interview letter
- Green Crad/Drivers Licence
- Pay stubs
- Tax Returns (for the last 5 years)

Additional things I may take (since it does not hurt to take these):

- Traffic school completion document (since I do have two of these)
- My passport (?? - Just to show the trips I took since becoming a resident)
- Copies of my kids birth certificates

Am I missing anything??

am I missing anything

Lost Passport - verification

I am planning to apply for Naturalization anytime now - have completed almost 6 years since my Green Card.

Over the last 5 years, I've done many trips to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and a few to India. None of the trips were greater than 4 months tops....I meet the 30 month physical residence condition, and also the continuous residence condition.

I've filed taxes in the US since 1993 all the way till 2002....I have not been working since March of 2003 up until 6 months ago.....so have not filed taxes for 2003, 2004 and 2005....will probably do some back taxes now.....

The big question...I lost my passport recently (actually 2 of them current and the older one that was attached) and picked up a new passport in Chicago. The new passport has no record of any of my travel/tours.....

What do I take with me to the interview/how do I prove continuous residence/ what questions can I expect/ does my case cause undue suspicion?

I am a person of good moral conduct...am employed as a Director with a large US IT Consulting firm, have never had traffic violations, never been arrested, etc...

Please respond....your answers will help put things in perspective
PSX

indiasc -- if you have them, yes, take them with you. Some form of proof of payment is always a good thing.

kbalabha65 -- I think the only thing you are missing is proof of residence - utility or credit card bills etc. Btw, you have to take green card plus drivers license, it is not an either or. The / seemed to indicate that, so wanted to clarify.

hi , i need help

hi, Ihave a problem, I got my interview for citizenship. when I got there for interview, I waited aslmost 3 hours. but When I was called, they told me that my file was hidden somewhere, they couldnt find it. so Ihave to go home and wait for them to call me. it's been 2 weeks already but Ihavent received anything. what should Ido if they cant find my file ? give me some advises if you can. and I see that it was so strange. they supposed to be ready when they sent me the appointment.

Thanks Shribuy

I will take both the GC & DL as well as the utility/phone bills. Question for those from India, how do I go about getting a Birth Certificate. I knew I had one but checked few days ago that it got misplaced (darn!).. What are my alternatives? I am trying to get one from india (hyderabad) but I know that will take time. Also should the birth certificate have my name exactly as it is in the passport since in India all the last names are abbreviated. Please advice

No green card

Have an interview tomorrow - do not have a green card in form of a card, but a stamp in my passport as my green card is being corrected due to an incorrect country of birth on it.

I do not anticipate issues due to this, but any experiences are welcome.

Other than that, bringing all the standard paperwork to the interview + some expired passports just in case they are needed.

My Timeline - Successful Interview in Oakland. Also got Oath letter on the spot.

Hi,
The interview went real smooth. People were called right on dot ( I had to wait for 35 minutes whereas a person walked in at his appointment time and was immediately taken in).

The whole process took about 15 minutes and only documents asked were Passport, GC, Driving license , SS and current address proof. After that asked to read a line , write a line and 10 Civics questions.

Finally signature on the form and on photographs.

I was asked to wait for 20 minutes and Oath letter was handed out for 12/14/06 in SFO.

Thanks
EastBay_003

Ok I just got my notice for the interview, and I'm gathering up all the info that is required and asked for since mine is marriage based as well.

I'm on the phone now getting the Tax Reciepts (former form 1722). The INS letter states Tax forms for 3 years form 1722. The IRS no longer does form 1722 so this is what I found out to be the confusing issue in many places.

- So got my GC (original and photocopy)
- Drivers licence (original and photocopy)
- Passport (original and photocopy)
- Letter (of course)

- Marriage certificate (original and photocopy)
- Rental agreement for this year
- Bills and stufff with both our names on it (not sure if the most recent will do)
- Tax reciepts (former form 1722) from IRS being sent in mail today
- Wife's Passport and Birth Certificate showing US citizen (not sure if I need to photocopy these as well?)

And right now I think that's all I need (don't have the letter here with me), but hopefully that is about it.

I've been studying for the past few years for the civics test so hopefully I don't have a problem with that. It stated it takes about 2 hours for the interview. Is that the case?

How about Selective Service Docs

HI
I JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW CALL FOR JAN 28TH. bUT I WAS WONDER HOW TO GET THE SELECTIVE SERVICE DOCS. BECAUSE I CAME HERE IN US AT THE AGE OF 28 ON MARRIAGE BASE SO IS THAT OPTION IS RELATED WITH ME?
PLEASE GUDE ME HOW TO GET THE SELECTIVE SERVICE DOUMENTS?
THANKS IN ADVANCED FOR YR REPLIES. :confused:

JANOOLOVE

csm said:
Hi All,

My interview is in the Sacramento office on Jan. 24th. I got my Green Card via work sponsership. My question is what documents do I need to bring with me to the interview? From reading this Forum I remember reading that I need to bring W2 forms, however that was not mentioned in the notice letter. The letter listed the following to bring along:

1- Grean Card
2- Passport
3- Selective Service Docs
4- Notice letter

I never registered for Selective service, I was 28 years old when I got the Green Card. Do I need to worry about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DO: Sacramento
PD 10/06/2005
Check Cashed 10/14/2005
FP 11/15/2005
Interview 1/24/2006
Oath..??

Documents and preparation for Naturalization Interview (Birth Certificate URGENT)

Hi all,

Thanks for the great help. A special thanks to JohnntCash for
providing an in depth look into what is needed for Citizenship
Interview.

I do not have my Original Birth Certificate/Affidavit. But I
have the copies of it.

My interview is next week (Monday in San Jose) and my
original Birth certificate is in India with my parents (for
the purpose of visitor visa).

Should the copy of the Birth Certificate suffice for the
Citizenship interview.

Thank you so much.

Sun

csm said:
Hi All,

My interview is in the Sacramento office on Jan. 24th. I got my Green Card via work sponsership. My question is what documents do I need to bring with me to the interview? From reading this Forum I remember reading that I need to bring W2 forms, however that was not mentioned in the notice letter. The letter listed the following to bring along:

1- Grean Card
2- Passport
3- Selective Service Docs
4- Notice letter

I never registered for Selective service, I was 28 years old when I got the Green Card. Do I need to worry about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DO: Sacramento
PD 10/06/2005
Check Cashed 10/14/2005
FP 11/15/2005
Interview 1/24/2006
Oath..??
No, you don't have to worry. However, keep proof that you were in status till you got your Green Card.

Though you don't really need it you can you can still apply for getting the selective service letter. It usually takes 2 - 4 weeks.

Employment letter for the interview..

I never worked for the sponsored comapny as they never could generate the job before, during or after I received the GC. Will there be a question what I or who I work for . I am doing business now. Has a clean record otherwise. I have steady income from business and can produce tax docs. What can I do..
Can you guide please..
Sujeet

Questions on N400 form

1. How do I save the N400 form>? I typed a bunch of stuff in Adobe Acrobat and nothing was saved.

2. Part 2: Information about your eligibility:
My 5 years is coming up in Apr 2007. Can I still say that I am over 18 and have been a legal resident for the last 5 years or is there any other box that I need to check?

3. Number of trips:
a. How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past five years?
Do I need to account for all the trips since after I became a permanent resident (2 questions below, they explicitly ask for the details of travel after becoming a LPR) or should I account for all the trips in the last five calendar years (one of my trips include my trip to India for GC CP interview)

4. H. Oath Requirements. (See Part 14 for the Text of the Oath)
I am assuming that I need to answer questions 34-39 when i send in my application, right? Has anyone answered w/ a NO for any of the oath questions - e.g. If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States? etc..

Question on timing to apply

My understanding of the process:

1. Apply for N400 - get notified of receipt.
2. Receive Finger printing notice and date.
3. Get finger printed.
4. Get interview letter w/ date.
5. Go for interview.

A) If I am correct so far, Is the oath date different from the interview date?
or can one take oath on the same date as the interview.

B) My understanding is that you apply for the passport only after the oath - right?

=====================

I have observed that people get FP notice in abou1-2 weeks and also FP appt 1week - 10 days from the notice.

i am planning on traveling in January for about 3 weeks starting in the last week. My 90 days does not come up till the first 2 weeks of January. I was thinking of sending in my application before I traveled.

C) What will happen if I GET an FP appt when I am traveling? Can i reschedule? Please advice.

i do not want to wait till I get back to apply. So, please advice on what a resonable course of action would be...