Document check list to apply for parents

pinto19

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I am getting ready to apply for immigrant visa for my parents who are in Bangladesh. I am an USC, just want to make sure I send the proper documents. According to INS website, I need to file I-130 along with my Citizenship cert copy or copy of US passpost, my birth certificate to prove my relationship and my parents marriage cert for my fathers app. It doesnt say anything about any other forms(such as G325 or G325a) or documents or pictures. I read on some other web sites I need to send 1 of my photo and 1 of my parents photo each. But the I-130 form instruction asks for those only if filling for spouse. Could some one who filled for parents who are abroad clarify this. ANy suggetion would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

pinto19 said:
Hello all,
I am getting ready to apply for immigrant visa for my parents who are in Bangladesh. I am an USC, just want to make sure I send the proper documents. According to INS website, I need to file I-130 along with my Citizenship cert copy or copy of US passpost, my birth certificate to prove my relationship and my parents marriage cert for my fathers app. It doesnt say anything about any other forms(such as G325 or G325a) or documents or pictures. I read on some other web sites I need to send 1 of my photo and 1 of my parents photo each. But the I-130 form instruction asks for those only if filling for spouse. Could some one who filled for parents who are abroad clarify this. ANy suggetion would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

count my thread as in same boat, read this as I found on net,
I believe G325 would be filed with 130, but not sure about 864(affidavit), trying to learn from ppl who already gone thorugh.

Here is link, read it , if it helps

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=179449

Good Luck

Found some more about Check list of ur 130

check it out

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=i130guide2

--------------------------------------------

Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist
Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated by a certified translator.):

1. Payment as documented here. Do not read the fee off the form itself, but from the linked html webpage. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-130), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

4. Copy of the Full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship.

5. A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable)

6. A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable)

7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

9. A certified official copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If one or both of you have been divorced before)

10. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died)

11. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated

12. One passport-type photo (see note) of the US Citizen. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

13. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the foreign spouse signed and dated

14. One passport-type photo (see note) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

Assembling the I-485 Package: Checklist
Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated by a certified translator.):

1. Payment(s) as documented here. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the the fingerprinting fee*. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-485), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-485: Petition for Alien Relative

4. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses Passport (biographical page as well as entry stamps).

5. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses valid I-94 (front and back copies)

6. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

7. A certified copy of your marriage certificate. (If filing for your spouse)

8. A copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both of you have been divorced before)

9. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died)

10. Two passport-type photos (see note) of the Non US Citizen Spouse. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

11. G-325A (all four pages) filled out,signed and dated

12. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

13. I-864, Affidavit of Support (see poverty limits here)
>> Include any additional required supporting documentation

14. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work while your application is processed (optional)
>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here.

15. I-131, Application for Travel Document, if you need to travel outside the United States while your application is processed (optional)
>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here.

16. I-485 Supplement A, and penalty fee if applicable. See 8 CFR 245.10

17. I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability**, if applicable
* Fingerprint fee not needed for applicants under 14
** an I-601 is NO FEE, if, and ONLY if filed WITH an I-485. Later filing DOES require a fee. Whether to file an I-601 is an important decision -- like the J-1, consulation with an attorney is recommended.

Add an overall cover page:
It is useful to add an overall cover sheet with the description of the package and pertinent information such as the applicants name and address. Make sure the cover sheet indicates the package is an Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application with a concurrent I-130 filing. List the major contents of the package (i.e. I-485 and evidence, I-130 and evidence, I-765, I-131,etc).

Where to File Everything:

Before filing please read this. New applicants may be required for follow new USCIS filing procedures based on where you live and when you file. Contact your local USCIS office to find out if this applies to you before filing.

(**The below filing instructions are being phased out by the new USCIS filing procedure noted here**)
For both the I-130 and I-485 package above you should file at your local USCIS Office (except if you are in the Baltimore District - then file at the Vermont Service Center.) NOTE: Some offices accept Form I-485 only by mail. Please check with your local USCIS Office for local filing procedures.
(**The above filing instructions are being phased out by the new USCIS filing procedure noted here**)

Be sure to mail (if you do not walk-in) the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS.

IMPORTANT!
Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. Retain ALL originals. The USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back.

After Filing: What to do?

Now starts the waiting game. Some people who have filed their petitions with an CIS office can receive employment authorization that day (ex: LA), but in most cases, your spouse will get their Employment Authorization Document approved in 30 to 90 days and will be scheduled to have their picture taken and to have their EAD card issued.

After your spouse has received their EAD, the real wait begins. I-485's can take several months to couple years for approval, and often leaves the petitioner feeling completely hopeless of ever receiving approval. DO NOT GIVE UP! Though it seems like forever, the CIS will eventually get to your petitions!

Your spouse may also be required to have a medical sometime during the AOS process. The medical must be done by a CIS accredited doctor. Your CIS office should give you a list of CIS accredited doctors in your area, if not check with your local office to get one. The medical exam can cost anywhere from $100-200 dollars, many physicians will not take a check, but only accept cash. Be prepared of the cost before your spouse gets this done. It would be wise to collect their vaccination information before going to the appointment as the doctor will need to have record of them. At the appointment your spouse will be tested for TB, AIDS and Syphilis. If they do the skin test for TB, they will be required to return to the CIS doctors office to have the site checked before they finish the exam paperwork. Note: Some CIS Offices allow you to schedule your appointment when you want, as long as it is done before the AOS appointment, check with your CIS office to see how they handle CIS medical exams before filing your AOS paperwork.

Your spouse will be required to have biometrics taken at some point including fingerprints and photo's. This can typically precede the interview date by up to 15 months, however is ussually much closer. Eventually you will receive a letter from the CIS informing you of your interview date. You and your spouse will need to bring supporting evidence of the relationship... i.e. photos, joint checking account, joint lease, joint mortgage, and birth certificates of children if any etc. Also, it is very important to bring the current passport of the applicant, as the CIS will stamp his/her passport with the I-551 stamp if they are approved. This stamp is proof of permanent residency that can be used until they receive their greencard. This normally can take up to six months. The interview is fairly painless and may be video recorded and lasts between 15-30 minutes.

Question on how to assemble for mailing

Hi,
I am filing the I-485/I-130/I-765. I was wondering what kind of folder I put this package in? Do I have a separate folder for each application? Do you think it would be best to use a folder with the acco fasteners at top (that go through the 2-hole punch at the tope of each page) How do I hold together related pages...paperclip? Staple? Please help! Thank you!

andreamate said:
Hi,
I am filing the I-485/I-130/I-765. I was wondering what kind of folder I put this package in? Do I have a separate folder for each application? Do you think it would be best to use a folder with the acco fasteners at top (that go through the 2-hole punch at the tope of each page) How do I hold together related pages...paperclip? Staple? Please help! Thank you!
Try not to make it too hard for the officers to remove your documents from the folders. I'm pretty sure that they will have folders of their own.
I put each package in a separate plastic see-through folder, where you can just put your documents in without fastening them. And I clipped document pages that belonged together with paperclips. I wouldn't staple them. I read somewhere that they don't like staples!

andreamate said:
Hi,

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm