• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Do you have a work permit to work in USA?

LazyDoggie

I am applying for a few jobs that ask the question - "Do you have a work permit to work in the US?".

I am not sure what is the correct answer - yes or no - as I have a DV visa, but have not technically activated it.

My confusion arises from the statement “upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.” What I assume from this is that my rights as LPR, including the right to work in the USA, only commences when the visa is endorsed during 1st entry, so right now, technically I still do not have a work permit.

I am applying for a few jobs that ask the question - "Do you have a work permit to work in the US?".

I am not sure what is the correct answer - yes or no - as I have a DV visa, but have not technically activated it.

My confusion arises from the statement “upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.” What I assume from this is that my rights as LPR, including the right to work in the USA, only commences when the visa is endorsed during 1st entry, so right now, technically I still do not have a work permit.
As long as your DV visa has not expired or would be expired before you'd get a chance to realistically activate, you can and should answer "Yes" to this question. If you would not make this point very clear in your application, you'd run the real risk of being turned down during first document review.