Do I need to renew my green card while waiting for citizenship?

pingliu

My Green Card is going to expire 1/18/2010. I just started to apply for citizenship, I'm afraid that I don't enough time before the green card expired. Do I need to renew my green card? or I'm still OK even it is expired since I submitted the citizenship application?

Thanks!

My Green Card is going to expire 1/18/2010. I just started to apply for citizenship, I'm afraid that I don't enough time before the green card expired. Do I need to renew my green card? or I'm still OK even it is expired since I submitted the citizenship application?

Thanks!

I think you should be fine, unless you want to travel. Even so you'll need proof of pending N400 to get your passport I-551 stamped. Besides, by the time your card expires, you might be citizen :)

If you apply at least 6 months before it expires you are not required to renew it. If you want to travel and your GC expired during process, you can get a temporary i-551 stamped into your passport.

Hi,

I am trying to travel to South America September 7th to study Spanish, but my Green Card is expired, and so is my Vietnam passport. I know that I need a passport to travel outside the country, but in order to apply for a renewal of my Vietnam passport, I need proof of a Green Card - which is expired. What do I need to do to travel? What is the fastest way? I need to leave the US September 7th.

HELP!

Hi,

I am trying to travel to South America September 7th to study Spanish, but my Green Card is expired, and so is my Vietnam passport. I know that I need a passport to travel outside the country, but in order to apply for a renewal of my Vietnam passport, I need proof of a Green Card - which is expired. What do I need to do to travel? What is the fastest way? I need to leave the US September 7th.
Your question has nothing to do with US citizenship. Ask in http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119