1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform.

What does it mean? Join us today, 21 November, at 11 AM EST 202-800-8395. Call or Skype. As usual, the call will be recorded and made available from our Our YouTube channel

Do I need to renew my green card while waiting for citizenship?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by pingliu, Jun 5, 2009.

1. pingliu

pingliu New Member

My Green Card is going to expire 1/18/2010. I just started to apply for citizenship, I'm afraid that I don't enough time before the green card expired. Do I need to renew my green card? or I'm still OK even it is expired since I submitted the citizenship application?

Thanks!

2. formerf1

formerf1 Registered Users (C)

I think you should be fine, unless you want to travel. Even so you'll need proof of pending N400 to get your passport I-551 stamped. Besides, by the time your card expires, you might be citizen :)

3. Bobsmyth

Bobsmyth Volunteer Moderator

If you apply at least 6 months before it expires you are not required to renew it. If you want to travel and your GC expired during process, you can get a temporary i-551 stamped into your passport.

4. confusedstudent

confusedstudent Registered Users (C)

Hi,

I am trying to travel to South America September 7th to study Spanish, but my Green Card is expired, and so is my Vietnam passport. I know that I need a passport to travel outside the country, but in order to apply for a renewal of my Vietnam passport, I need proof of a Green Card - which is expired. What do I need to do to travel? What is the fastest way? I need to leave the US September 7th.

HELP!

5. Jackolantern

Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

Your question has nothing to do with US citizenship. Ask in http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119