Do I need to file I-864a if my US Citizen wife is not working

MrCool7

Hi all, thanks for awesome advises here. I'm currently on H-1B status which will be expired on November 2017. My wife is a US citizen and we married 2 years ago. We're filing papers for my Green Card. The problem is my wife hasn't worked for 2 years, she quitted her job to take care of our baby. My income is high over the poverty guideline for a family of 3. We filed a joint tax return last year for 2015 tax year. Could anyone please let me know if my wife can sponsor me for Greencard with no income? and do we need to file I-864a? Thank you and I really appreciate your help.

Your wife files I-864. Your income is counted as part of her household income, as you are a household member. You do not need to fill out I-864A as you are the intending immigrant.

Thank you so much @newacct I heard that intending immigrant could be a household member and we would need to fill I-864A for this if we use my income. May I ask if this is true?

No. Like I said, the intending immigrant does not need to fill out an I-864A to count their income. Read the I-864 instructions and it will tell you that. Check the box on the I-864 that says Person 1 does not need to fill out I-864A because they are the intending immigrant.

Also, make sure to include proof of your work authorization.