Do I need new TN when transfer from one subsidiary to another in the same parent company?

Silencewind

Hi Folks,

I am currently on TN. My employer recently undergo a sequence of internal legal entity consolidation. I received notice that I will be transfer to a different legal entity (same company). From my perspective, this will be a technical change, meaning no job function or team change, just the legal entity change on paper. The notice said that the company's legal department will file a petition to reflect the new employer (new legal entity) however, it also said it won't affect my current status or any HR service.

While I am still waiting to reach out company's legal team. I am wondering that in general, do I need a new TN in this scenario? or is it like update my current TN with new legal entity?

Any advise will be appreciated.

If you were sponsored by the parent company, then there is no need to change your TN.

Thank you Nelsona for addressing my concerns.

I was sponsored by a subsidiary entity. My employer filed a change of employer petition with an extension request. I got notified that it was approved by USCIS with a new expiry date under the new subsidiary entity and a future effective date (same date that legal entity change will be effective). Also, I notice that it come with an I94 which has the same number of my current one.

Since I currently have two TNs (different sponsors). I have a few questions:

1. Is there any need to "activate" the new TN since it already comes with an I94 (same number but different expiry date)?
2. CBP's electronic record of I94 still having the old expiry date. Do I have to update them by re-entry?
3. If so, do I have to do it on new TN effective date? or can I do it after?

Appreciate in advance.

Last edited:
1. No. That is how extensions are done.
2. No. USCIS issued your I-94, that has supremacy.
3. Again, no. You never have to do it. that is whey you were issued an I-94: the border has nothing to do with this particular process, because you field by mail to USCIS.

Justy to be clear, when you say you have "two TNs (different sponsors)", do you mean you have another TN with an unrelated company. Because what you have describes is NOT 2 TNs, it is ONE TN that expires and ONE TN that starts on the same day. At no time do you or will you have 2 TNs. That is wh yyou have the same I-94 #.

Thanks Nelsona. I was meant two TN from subsidiaries of same company. Your answer makes a lot of sense.

For #2, in case of traveling internationally and return to US by flight, usually CBP able to check their system (electronic version of I94) to verify TN status.
Is it correct understanding that, I will need to present them the I94 from USCIS in order to obtain the passport stamp with new expiry date (and new I129#/employer name on stamp)?

Last edited:
Your new I-94 has an new expiry date. It is your primary document. The stamps in your passport are meaningless in comparison to your I-94. As soon as it is effective, you will put that new I-94 in your passport (replacing the current one), and that will be it. Whether CBP re-stamps your passport or even re-issues you a new I-94 depends on their whim at the time, but is meaningless to you.