Do i need lawyer to apply for EAD

hon1994

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for political asylum through an attorney in Chicago and just completed 150 days. My lawyer asked me to pay 200$ to apply for EAD and he told me that it will take additional 3 months for the processing.

my question is do I actually need a lawyer to apply for EAD, cant i apply it by myself?
Does it really takes additional 3 months after 150 days of waiting period :(

I am having a really tough time..

Thanks

you absolutely do not need a lawyer , all you need is to fill a form / copy of passport/ copy of i94/ 2 photos / evidence of bio-metric./copy of asylum receipt if you can not provide or fill the form properly you can pay the lawyer to do it for you . and yes the EAD would take up to 3 month after the 180th day . it will not be issued before that day. i know it is tough but you don't have another choice . all you can do is mail the application after the 150th day.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-765

Reactions: CWH
Thanks nss2009, wait is only what we can do. kindly inform if you know anything about interim EAD..

From the way you are describing it, this is your first EAD. It should take around 30 day (or a little more because they are currently busy) if there are not issue with your form. But I don't think it will take 3months for the first-time.
Also, you can apply it by yourself. It is only a one-page form. But make sure you do not make any mistake because it can slow your application process.

Thanks for reply lota2013. ofcourse 3 month waiting period is too long after 150 days. i mean, people are fleeing their country escaping persecution, and how are they going to feed themselves for this long, On the other hand i understand that they are very busy currently. all i can do is wait.

since i was over 21 yo, i filed my application separately and i paid my lawyer for my EAD. for the rest of my family, i will apply for EAD myself.

From the way you are describing it, this is your first EAD. It should take around 30 day (or a little more because they are currently busy) if there are not issue with your form. But I don't think it will take 3months for the first-time.
Also, you can apply it by yourself. It is only a one-page form. But make sure you do not make any mistake because it can slow your application process.
my first EAD took about 97 days , and that was 9 months ago

my father applied for asylum in jan 2015 but still no interview
and me,my brother,my sister and my mother are still in Lebanon so is there anyway to go to the USA before he’s granted asylum like tourist visa for example or we should wait until he is granted??
does that make any problems if we applied for a visa like denying my father’s asylum?

my father applied for asylum in jan 2015 but still no interview
and me,my brother,my sister and my mother are still in Lebanon so is there anyway to go to the USA before he’s granted asylum like tourist visa for example or we should wait until he is granted??
does that make any problems if we applied for a visa like denying my father’s asylum?

please create a separate post so it can be seen by other members

you have to wait until your father asylum gets approved then he can apply for you to come to the US .

applying for a tourist visa will not affects your dads case but him applying for asylum will defiantly affects you getting a visa . because you have intent yo immigrate.

please create a separate post so it can be seen by other members

you have to wait until your father asylum gets approved then he can apply for you to come to the US .

applying for a tourist visa will not affects your dads case but him applying for asylum will defiantly affects you getting a visa . because you have intent yo immigrate.
okay nss2009 thank you