Dl In Ny

Surfer09

Registered Users (C)
Hey, I'm 20 and I was wondering how I'd go about getting a DL in NY ? The only docs I have right now or an approved I-140 (my mom didnt apply for an I-485 yet as she was told by various lawyers that you'd have to wait back in your country for 5-10 years) Do I go get a SSA-L676 Letter from SSA? and with that get a DL or can I simply not get a DL until I submit a I485. Thanks For the Help Guys!!!! :D

Do you have SS#?If you don't have one there is no way you can get DL in NY.
I am sorry to say that.But as far as i know like NC can give you a DL with valid visa and Tax ID#

Good Luck

Well according to the nydmv site, you need the letter from SSA to prove that your not eligable for one.

Note 1: If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA letter or form must have been issued no more than 30 days before the date of your application. You must also show the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents that the SSA used to determine that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card.

but the only thing I'm not sure about is if I could get the letter with the approval I-140 letter from Immigration.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take all the docs.and go to DMV and give it a shot.Sometimes they call immigration to get ok.Two weeks ago friend of mine applied to extend his expired DL.they refused because he did not have SS#
What county are you in?or borough

I'm in putnam County, I actully got told by SSA that I could get a licence with just the SSA letter, but do you think the I-140 approval is the only thing I'll need to get the letter?

NY problems at DMV

I also tried to get my husband a drivers license in Beacon, Dutchess County. He has the letter from Social Security stating that he is unable to get an SS#, 3 credit cards, a bank account, his foreign passport (no I-94 or I-551), an approved I-130 visa, marriage license, birth certificate, and an Order of Supervision. They still will not accept what we have. I am going to try again at some point.