• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DIVERSITY VISA/GREEN CARD LOTTERY/PHOTO ISSUES

The4Js

Hi mates, I am in the process of making an entry for the Diversity/Green Card visa lottery. I used the official photo tool to prepare (crop and save) my photo which had been professionally taken. I then used a photo checker online to validate the saved cropped photo and it passed all stages. To DOUBLE CHECK, I decided to RE-UPLOAD the saved cropped picture into the official photo tool. Unfortunately it does not fit and the whole image appears like I did not even crop it. Does it mean the saving was not effective, even though after cropping, I clicked on and saved photo on USB, getting a photo smaller than the original?

I have also read that the photo requirements for the Diversity visa lottery are NOT the same as those of other visas and passports? So is the official photo tool good for ALL types of photos? Is there a specific tool for Diversity visa photos? Why would the cropped saved photo not refit? Can I go ahead basing on the online photo checking tool? PLEASE HELP.

Hi mates, I am in the process of making an entry for the Diversity/Green Card visa lottery. I used the official photo tool to prepare (crop and save) my photo which had been professionally taken. I then used a photo checker online to validate the saved cropped photo and it passed all stages. To DOUBLE CHECK, I decided to RE-UPLOAD the saved cropped picture into the official photo tool. Unfortunately it does not fit and the whole image appears like I did not even crop it. Does it mean the saving was not effective, even though after cropping, I clicked on and saved photo on USB, getting a photo smaller than the original?

I have also read that the photo requirements for the Diversity visa lottery are NOT the same as those of other visas and passports? So is the official photo tool good for ALL types of photos? Is there a specific tool for Diversity visa photos? Why would the cropped saved photo not refit? Can I go ahead basing on the online photo checking tool? PLEASE HELP.

I don't know about your other issues, but the DV photo requiments are exactly the same as for all other US visa and passport photos - note though that the US sizes are different than most other countries.

Thank you SusieQQQ, I read that point from some other Forum called immihelp. Please check the heading 'US Visa and Green Card Photo Requirements'. I also note that the DV Photo sizes provide a range of measurements eg a minimum of 600 by 600 pixels and a maximum of 1200 by 1200. The file size is not more than 250 KB which means there is a range. So I wonder whether that one tool is designed to accommodate the individual variations.

Thank you SusieQQQ, I read that point from some other Forum called immihelp. Please check the heading 'US Visa and Green Card Photo Requirements'. I also note that the DV Photo sizes provide a range of measurements eg a minimum of 600 by 600 pixels and a maximum of 1200 by 1200. The file size is not more than 250 KB which means there is a range. So I wonder whether that one tool is designed to accommodate the individual variations.

I hang out on this forum and one other, i don't know immihelp and not going to comment on what they say. For me the fact that the official department of state website on the DV lottery directs you to the same photo requirements- which by the way are exactly the same as the ones I used previously for my non-immigrant visas and that I happen to know are the same as the US passport ones - is good enough for me. IMO, you should not be using websites other than the official one when it comes to things like a spec required to be correct for a valid entry, but that's just my opinion.

Once again, thanks SusieQQQ, even the official Government website contains what it calls "Additional requirements for the the Diversity Visa (DV) Program.

Once again, thanks SusieQQQ, even the official Government website contains what it calls "Additional requirements for the the Diversity Visa (DV) Program.

You keep telling me websites say things without giving me links! I don't have time to sit and search through various websites for whatever page. Are those "additional requirements" specifically for photos (this is not clear from what you posted) and if so, are they incompatible with the photo tool?
Edit: I just had a look at the DV2018 instructions. They are very clear and they direct you to the photo validator on the edv website. Is this what you used? If so what is the problem? Everyone else seems to be using it successfully?

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a similar problem, I miss the name off the picture on my usb! SO I put another picture on my application.
I want to know if I can submit a new one with the good picture?
Please help me

Hi,
I have a similar problem, I miss the name off the picture on my usb! SO I put another picture on my application.
I want to know if I can submit a new one with the good picture?
Please help me

No, you cannot submit another entry. Try again next year.

No, you cannot submit another entry. Try again next year.

Hi Britsimon,
I'd like to ask you a big favor.... please.
Today I went to photo shop and made new pictures for dvlottery, came back home I got a doubt.... maybe my head is too big in the picture,can see shoulders but not all, my wife picture look ok.

If I can send to you privately by email or message and maybe you can check for me, I would really appreciate it, because you have more experience.

Please let me know, because I scared to be disqualify for my picture.

P.S. I didn't fill in the entry yet.

Thank you very much

Hi Britsimon,
I'd like to ask you a big favor.... please.
Today I went to photo shop and made new pictures for dvlottery, came back home I got a doubt.... maybe my head is too big in the picture,can see shoulders but not all, my wife picture look ok.

If I can send to you privately by email or message and maybe you can check for me, I would really appreciate it, because you have more experience.

Please let me know, because I scared to be disqualify for my picture.

P.S. I didn't fill in the entry yet.

Thank you very much

Use the official photo tool. It works fine and is very clear.

Use the official photo tool. It works fine and is very clear.

Yes, I know about the official photo tool, I use it but I still can't fix the problem, because the picture they made to me cut my shoulders, so I can't crop how I want and I can't zoom out.

Anyway.... my picture look like this man, I google "dvlottery photo" (image) and found him, I saw he cut shoulders too but I think it's ok. http://britishexpats.com/forum/atta...-my-photos-meet-requirements-not-daniel-2.jpg

Can see better here : http://passport-photo-software.com/images/DV-lottery-photo-edit.png
My picture looks like him (after crop the photo).

What do you think?

Thank you very much

P.S. You live in the city I love and I hope to live there soon.... I miss San Francisco so much!

@octet,

In this forum, we only refer people to the government/official website. Your post got deleted because it was referring people to a fee based photo validator site.

For DV, your photo should be EXACTLY 600*600 pixels, else there's no way it will pass the photo validation.