• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Diversity Visa and F-T-J

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
There has been and continues to be a big misunderstanding with the Follow-To-Join option especially when it comes to CP. I think it's such a shame that some DV selectees are still being misguided and being told they can select the F-T-J option when processing CP contrary to the information that the U.S. Dept of States provides in one of it's Foreign Affairs Manual:

9 Fam 42.33 PN6.3 Following-to-Join Applicants
DV applicants are informed in the electronic notification of how to adjust status to lawful permanent residence in the United States. A principal applicant who has adjusted status may file Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requesting DHS send the Form I-824, upon its adjudication, to consular posts as verification of his or her LPR status.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87840.pdf (p.5)

This clearly shows that the F-T-J option is intended to be for a PA who is already in the US with immediate family members residing outside of the US.

Some selectees however are being erroneously told they can select the F-T-J option, attend the interview alone and get their visa and leave for the U.S., and that they can contact the the embassy whenever they're ready and request for their derivatives to be interviewed. This is not only wrong, it is misleading. Not only is the Manual silent on the F-T-J as an applicable option for CP candidates, it does not provide any instruction on how it's supposed to be done. Just because the option is on the DS-form DOES NOT mean it is applicable to CP.

If you, a PA processing CP selects this option, yes you have the possibility of getting your own visa, but be aware of the high possibility of your family members not getting their own derivative visas before the end of the FY which means your only option of being together as a family is ether for you to go back home and join them or go through the process of sponsoring them which could take years.

There has been and continues to be a big misunderstanding with the Follow-To-Join option especially when it comes to CP. I think it's such a shame that some DV selectees are still being misguided and being told they can select the F-T-J option when processing CP contrary to the information that the U.S. Dept of States provides in one of it's Foreign Affairs Manual:

9 Fam 42.33 PN6.3 Following-to-Join Applicants
DV applicants are informed in the electronic notification of how to adjust status to lawful permanent residence in the United States. A principal applicant who has adjusted status may file Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requesting DHS send the Form I-824, upon its adjudication, to consular posts as verification of his or her LPR status.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87840.pdf (p.5)

This clearly shows that the F-T-J option is intended to be for a PA who is already in the US with immediate family members residing outside of the US.

Some selectees however are being erroneously told they can select the F-T-J option, attend the interview alone and get their visa and leave for the U.S., and that they can contact the the embassy whenever they're ready and request for their derivatives to be interviewed. This is not only wrong, it is misleading. Not only is the Manual silent on the F-T-J as an applicable option for CP candidates, it does not provide any instruction on how it's supposed to be done. Just because the option is on the DS-form DOES NOT mean it is applicable to CP.

If you, a PA processing CP selects this option, yes you have the possibility of getting your own visa, but be aware of the high possibility of your family members not getting their own derivative visas before the end of the FY which means your only option of being together as a family is ether for you to go back home and join them or go through the process of sponsoring them which could take years.
very precious advice.How I wish that all DV selectees in 2015 Kenya thread get to see this

Brilliant - I was just doing a blog post on the same thing. I can correct all mine from your more accurate post now! :)

I'm sure you would have done the blog post equal justice too if I hadn't beaten you in putting up my post in the forum

very precious advice.How I wish that all DV selectees in 2015 Kenya thread get to see this

It's like you read my mind :). It's actually the discussion among some Kenyan selectees with regards to the F-T-J option which I got to know about that prompted/made me decide to share this.

When people could have been better informed about the fact that derivatives do not have to travel or enter the U.S. at the same time with the PA, and that they most likely will have up to 6 months before their visas expire (baring a negative medical exam) to enter the U.S., they're being told to select the FTJ option and attend the interview alone.

It's like you read my mind :). It's actually the discussion among some Kenyan selectees with regards to the F-T-J option which I got to know about that prompted/made me decide to share this.

When people could have been better informed about the fact that derivatives do not have to travel or enter the U.S. at the same time with the PA, and that they most likely will have up to 6 months before their visas expire (baring a negative medical exam) to enter the U.S., they're being told to select the FTJ option and attend the interview alone.

Yup I had the same though when Simon finally had the penny drop about FTJ.

Yup I had the same though when Simon finally had the penny drop about FTJ.

For clarity on my case:Kindly read this and it should NOT be taken as advise for F-T-J as I opted out of it:Make your personal informed decision.
Below is my email communication with the Embassy:

Question July 21 2014 email to the Nairobi US embassy

Kindly advice whether my family must accompany me for medical & VISA Interview or I will have to book them a separate date for medical / VISA appointment since on my DS 260 I have indicated they will NOT Accompany me but instead will come at later date.

Secondly,as the Principal applicant,should I bring their Travel Passports or any other document and pay their Visa in advance during my Interview or they should themselves bring them and pay during their interview.

I have visited the http://www.travel.state.gov and studied the Visa bulletin and realized that my case number might be among the first in the month of October to be slotted for Interview and I would not wish to miss my Interview deadline due to finances or lack of all the documentation pertaining to the issuance of VISA once successful.
Regards

Answer July 21 2014
Embassy of the United States of America

United Nations Avenue
Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: 254-20-363-6622
July 21, 2014

Dear Mr. Maina,
Thank you for your email.

Please note that a medical examination is required for anyone who wishes to process the visa. Therefore, if your family will process the visa at a later date then they can wait to have the medical examination when they are ready.
Also note that Diversity Visa payments may only be made here at the embassy on the date of the interview. We do not accept payment online or through third party vendors. Again, please be advised that you should only make your payment the day of your interview at the embassy cashier when instructed to do so.
For more information, review the DV-2015 Instructions. Entrants who have been selected for DV2015, will be given a set of instructions and an appointment from the Kentucky Consular Center. More information about the Diversity Visa process: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/interview/prepare-for-the-interview.html
For information on the requirements for the Diversity Visa, please visit our website http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/dv2015applicants.html

Sincerely
Customer Service Representative 8
Immigrant Visa Unit
U.S. Embassy, Nairobi,

Kenya.

Answer 2
Embassy of the United States of America
United Nations Avenue
Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 254-20-363-6622
September 22, 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that IF you wish to process the visa without your family members, you need to have only your medical examination done. When your family members are ready to process a following-to-join visa, they will have their medical examination done then and appear before a Consular Officer for an interview.

Sincerely,
Customer Representative 8

Immigrant Visa Unit

Consular Section

US Embassy Nairobi

Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:45 PM
To: Nairobi, ImmigrationVisa
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Last edited by a moderator: