Direct Consulate Filing versus filing in U.S

rek4385

Registered Users (C)
Hello my immigration friends...summer is upon us. Time to travel and visit our loved ones or be married to them!

Im run into some confusion in what I should do. Ill be staying in my (soon to be wife) country after we get married. I will stay there 1 year. I am a U.S citizen.

My first plan was to file the I-130 and K3 to my service center where I live now in the U.S My idea was so start the process right away . I learned that once I reside in her country for 6 months I am considered a resident according the U.S. So I could file the papers to her U.S cosulate. But I am loosing 6 months if I am doing that.

Which was be quicker and more efficient? File DCF or file in U.S. So many questions arise. Such as add of support issues etc.

What do you all think? I cant loose time with this because I am in school and really should return after the year in her country to finish.

Thank you!

Some US consulates will let the US citizen undergo DCF even if the US citizen is not resident in the host country. The first thing you need to do is confirm if the US consulate in your fiance's country will let you do that. That will help you determine if DCF is better or stateside filing.

thank you

Thank you for your reply. I did my leg work and I got an unlisted e-mail to the "office" that deals with DCF in her country. Ill post my results.