Didn't sign with selective services...can I still be a Citizen?

SSS is a big deal. If an immigrant male between 18-26 with no exceptional circumstances does not sign up for SSS he could be refused FAFSA (Govt Student Loans) and US Citizenship among other things.

We do not realize the role of SSS as there is no draft now.. However there are some rumours floating around ..........

JoeF said:
Oh, I see where the confusion comes from. Mr. Shusterman combined a couple of issues here.
Let me unravel that:
- For naturalization, you need to show "good moral character" in the 5 years before the application
- Failing to register if you were between 18 and 25 shows lack of "good moral character"
- You can't register for Selective Services if you are 26 or older.
- Therefore, if you failed to register for Selective Services, you should wait with naturalization until you are 31 or older. That results in the failure to register being more than 5 years in the past, so it doesn't fall under the "good moral character in the last 5 years" issue anymore.

JoeF,

Yup its crystal clear now :)

Thanks

yes it's a big deal if you don't do it

what I'm saying is that if there is any doubt about whether you have to or not you are better off just doing it anyway

Any experience with unfavorable SSS letter?

I want to find out if your Selective Service letter said that you were required to register with them and you didn't - what kind of experience did you have at the time of interview.

I got a letter from SSS stating that I was required to register with them (unfortunately, I don't have enough documents to prove that I was on practical training for a short missing period, even though I was on a practical training after graduating.) Is it worth fighting to get documents and get the letter rectified? Or would it be just fine to explain it to the interviewer?

Got my GC when was 25
Did not register because DID NOT KNOW!

Got a Status Letter from SS
Wrote them back saying I never received a notice to register
Got a reply saying they sent me a letter to first address in the US
Wrote them back saying 'never got a letter' since was already at a different addres AND was on F-1 and was not required to register anyway :)
Got a reply saying 'it is up to agence that administers the benefit bla bla'

Applied for Cit and had interview in Newark on Sep 14 2004
Passed the test, was told that my SS case will be 'investigated' and I will get a decision in 7 days
Still sitting here 3 month later and waiting for a decision
The InfoPass says there no available appointments
Should I write them? What are my chances? THANKS!

Need advice on how to correct a mistake i made on my N-400 application regarding selective service Registration. The question was "Are you a male who lived in US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant"

I came to USA on F1 visa when i was 25 yrs and 9 months, I have answered the above question NO and should have answered YES. I have remined on valid non-immigrant visa well past age of 26, until i got my Green Card.

Question I have is can I correct this at the time of interview and prove that I need not have registered for Selective service as was on a non-immigrant visa? What documentation to take to convince the immigration officer at the time of my interview. My interview is scheduled in Feb 2005 and any advice is appriciated.

JoeF,

I am really confused. If what you say is true, then i dont know what my interview letter mentioned me to get proof of Selective Service registration? Do I not have to prove that I do not have to register for SS when asked for the SS registration proof by the
officer at the interview?

Thanks!

JoeF,

Thank you for the link. Getting a letter from SSS will give me peace of mind to face the interview on SS registration question. Will do that today.

Best Regards