Didn't sign with selective services...can I still be a Citizen?

luckyluciano

Registered Users (C)
Hey Gurus, Recently I got my residence granted to me, after the interview my lawyer told me to enlist with the selective services, I did immediately and I was already over age, then they sent me a letter saying I was required to register with them, and the decision to grant me privilege or benifit is up to the agency or whoever is analyzing my case, I got my 1st work permit in january/03, and my residence was granted on september/04, and I wrote a letter explaining why I didn't register, is pretty much because I didn't know I came from other place and didn't know the rules and regulations of the selective services, do you guys think I'll be able to become a citizen? :(

luckyluciano said:
and did your friend actually got thru the interview? or I didn't happen yet?

Best Regards,

No, he didn't have his intv yet. I will let you know the out come of his intv.

Hi,

I'm in the same situation. I haven't applied for my Citizenship yet. Today I talked to an Immigration Lawyer. He asked if I registered for selective services. I said NO. He said that's going to be problem and most likely INS will deny me citizenship based on not having a good moral character. I told him I got my Greencard when I was 32 years old. He said it doesn't matter. He said that when you you turned 18 and you were here in the USA (and I was) I should have applied for selective services.

He said he is going to vacation now, but will come back next week and will do research on this to see if I can still apply. He didn't seem hopeful about this.

I live in Seattle. My Lawyer said that it depends on the office where they process this. He said Seattle office is very very picky and they are looking for everything to deny your citizenship. Other states may be easier.

I'll let you know when my Lawyer get back and what he tells me after his research.

Last edited by a moderator:
User Name said:
He said that's going to be problem and most likely INS will deny me citizenship based on not having a good moral character.

Your lawyer is taking too much too soon. Who is this lawyer of yours?

User Name said:
I told him I got my Greencard when I was 32 years old. He said it doesn't matter. He said that when you you turned 18 and you were here in the USA (and I was) I should have applied for selective services.
Change your lawyer. He is wrong. One does not have to register with SSS after HIS 26th birthday. You became a PR only by age 32, so it disqualifies you. Your attorney is a nut that has no idea what he is talking about. He is right only if you lived illegally in the US (and not on a non immigrant visa) as illegal aliens (as strange as it sounds) must register with the government!!!!!!! (Update: Reading your past post for the same topic you mentioned you were never illegal so you and SSS have no connection)

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

User Name said:
He said Seattle office is very very picky and they are looking for everything to deny your citizenship.
Seattle DO does seem to be picky. There was a case of a person's CZ denied as he had violated a fishing code (fished more than he should have :mad: )

Apply for CZ as soon as you wish

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rhaul, After doing a bit more research, it seems that you are right.

http://www.shusterman.com/natz-ss99.html

"This requirement does not apply to aliens present in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status." And I was Lawful nonimmigrant until 32 at which time I had passed the age 26 and couldn't apply.

So I should be OK.

About my lawyer. Hehe. I just asked my company's lawyer to recommend someone. She recommended this lawyer (which I don't think is fare to mention his name here). Today was the first time I talked to him. He seems very nice and knowledgable, but I guess he was wrong about this one.

I haven't even signed any agreement with him. All he has is my name and phone and 5 mintues of conversation on the phone. Maybe I should look for another lawyer.

I have been in US legally (F1, H1, Greencard) since 1985. I can skip the english portion of the exam. Right? It doesn't matter. I'm fluent in English, so I'll take the exam if I have to.

Thanks

User Name said:
"This requirement does not apply to aliens present in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status." And I was Lawful nonimmigrant until 32 at which time I had passed the age 26 and couldn't apply.

So I should be OK.

You might want to get a letter from the selective services anyways, stating you were not required to register .. it takes round 2-3 weeks, and the proof will be with you for ever, even if you plan to apply for federal jobs later ..
Presenting a letter to the USCIS is a lot easier than trying to explain with other documents.

dimmsimm said:
You might want to get a letter from the selective services anyways, stating you were not required to register .. it takes round 2-3 weeks, and the proof will be with you for ever, even if you plan to apply for federal jobs later ..
Presenting a letter to the USCIS is a lot easier than trying to explain with other documents.

I got my GC when I was 26.5 yrs. So I did not need to register.
How do I get this letter anyways to have peace of mind.

cp-gc said:
Thanks dimmsimm. In that form when the ask for INS status they mean to ask FI/H1 visa status right ?

yes .. along each entry, you have to put in the dates and corresponding status at that time .. e.g.

January 1991 - December 1994 ..... F1 Student Visa
January 1995 - Present ................. H1 Visa

and so on ..

along with this form, you'll need to send in the appropriate proof .. e.g I-20s, etc ..

dimmsimm said:
yes .. along each entry, you have to put in the dates and corresponding status at that time .. e.g.

January 1991 - December 1994 ..... F1 Student Visa
January 1995 - Present ................. H1 Visa

etc ..

Sorry to bother you again. 2 more questions.

1. Do we have to have one line for each H1 VISA ? (I worked on 3 different companies and have a H1 visa for each of them)

2. Do I need to mentioned the GC status ? something like
June 2001 - Present (Green card)

cp-gc said:
Sorry to bother you again. 2 more questions.

1. Do we have to have one line for each H1 VISA ? (I worked on 3 different companies and have a H1 visa for each of them)

2. Do I need to mentioned the GC status ? something like
June 2001 - Present (Green card)

No problem at all .. I did this recently so it's fresh in my mind ..

You do not have to put a separate entry for each H1 you had with different companies. Just give a combined timeline, if you had 3 H1's from 1991 to 2000, Just put, e.g.

January 1991 - January 2000 ... H1 Visa.

The proof you supply will show them you have H1 status for all those years.
When you got your H1 approvals, it shows an I-94 at the bottom right of each approval. Those are the ones you want to send them a copy of, for each of your H1s. I did not even have to notarize these copies .. just incase you were wondering, but it might be a good idea to do so.

And yes, you do have to include an entry for the time you got your GC.
e.g. February 2000 - Present ... Permenant Resident Status.

This would ofcourse be the last time.

Do you mind posting the cover letter (minus any personal info) ?

That would help.

Thanks for all your help.

User Name said:
Thank you Rhaul, After doing a bit more research, it seems that you are right.

http://www.shusterman.com/natz-ss99.html

"

The link above also mentioned this. (see below) Its kind of contradicst what sss.gov website says - If you get GC after 26th Birthday you dont need to register.......

any comments ?

Applicants Between 26 and 31 Years of Age

A man between 26 and 31 years of age[1] who was required to register for Selective Service and who knowingly and willfully failed to register cannot demonstrate that he is eligible for naturalization. Every male naturalization applicant between 26 and 31 years of age who failed to register for Selective Service must provide evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register. If a male naturalization applicant between 26 and 31 years of age failed to register with Selective Service, the naturalization examination must be continued to give the applicant an opportunity to obtain evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register. If the applicant is unable to demonstrate that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register, his naturalization application must be denied. Again, the decision must state explicitly that the INS has found that his willful failure to register with Selective Service means he cannot show that, during the requisite period before filing his application, he was not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. The decision must cite § 316(a)(3).

JoeF said:
That's not what sss.gov says.
It says that all men 18-25 are required to register, except ...
and one of the exceptions is men in valid non-immigrant status.

Hi JoeF,

I was referring to 26-31 years.

people you are making this thing way too complicated

just sign up for selective services regardless

you have to do it anyway

every male who had immigrant status between the ages of 18 to 26 has to do it.

it saves everyone a lot of trouble

besides it is totally no big deal to begin with.