Detained for Public intoxication during a game: N-400 interview comes in 30 days

shyne

A week ago we went to watch a live game and we were tailgating all afternoon drinking and kicking the ball around, by the time we got to the stadium officers stopped us as we were looking for seats. I guess me being too loud cheering, they took me into protective custody. Well, was later released and in Massachusetts, public intoxication is not considered a crime, but you may be taken into protective custody, but no charges are filled and it is not considered as an arrest.
Now here is my the main problem, I just received a mail today that my a N-400 interview in in 30-days. I am very nervous and depressed for something that I was waiting for hope. I received my green card in 2008 and I never had any problem with the law ever since (unless I count the protective custody as a crime). However, in 2005 ( 11 years ago) I had a DUI. Yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

I have a perfect career, a great father and I am involve in my community. Please help me understand the following:

1. Do I have to report the protective custody during the interview? I believe I do regardless of whether is wasn't an arrest and will not appear in my records.

2. How will this affect me in-terms of my application ?

3. Let say I get denied, will I still be able to renew my green card which expires in 2018?

Any insight will be highly appreciated. Thanks
:(

I dont think what you described is a crime.
stadium officers are like security officers.
Not the police.
So from my point of view. You are fine.
It s not an arrest per say. You havent broke the law.

Again, Thanks for the reply so I went to the interview today and I was granted my approval: the officer was very polite, I was nervous but she warmed me up. They didn't even need any documents for my protective custody situation. I just told them what happened and gave them the general letter from the public safety which had a 'checked mark' on the section that states: " Overnight protective custody". They took the 10 years old DUI court document and just made sure the case closed and file it away. Went through my passport and and re-ask all the pre-filed questions. Then she left the room came back 15 min later and had to sign here, sign there, she told me "Congratulations, go wait outside and we will give you your Oath Letter which you will participate next week. Make sure you bring you green card and state ID with you ".

03/23/16: N-400 delivered
04/01/16: Application was returned. I signed the wrong pages did not notice that had to wait and sign these during interview.
04/03/16: Resent the Application ( I Just replaced the last 2 pages)
04/17/16: Bio-metrics notice received
05/02/16: Bio-metrics done
06/14/16: Interview letter received
07/19/16 : Interview Done- 'Passed'
07/19/16 : Oath Letter handed to me (I was given my Oath Letter the same day I passed the interview)
07/28/16 : Oath Ceremony

:)