• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Delay in receiving green card

psolati

We've won the green card lottery in 2001 and having been interviewed, got a visa from Abu Dhabi, UAE embassy for a year. The temporary visa expired in 2003. How can I check my status concerning reception of the permanant green card?

Thanks.

You did not give enough info, so I'll post multiple possibilities :

- got your visa in the UAE, went to the US within 6m from approval: you should have received a plastic GC. If you did not receive one, you can file I90 for replacement of GC.

- got your visa, did not go to the US within 6m : you did not activate your GC by not going to the US. Thus, you do not have a GC. You are NOT a Legal Permanent Resident.

I have the impression you are the second case.
You had 6months from the date of your visa approval ( stamp in passport ) to go to the US to activate your visa, and start the procedure to obtain a real GC. Then, once you cross the border ( arrive at the US immigration ), the guy stamps your visa so that it is serves as a temporary GC for the time it takes to receive the plastic one ( the one that looks like a driving license ): that's the one year validity you're talking about..