Declaring foreign income (new DV lottery winner)

abumiqdad

Hi all.

A question here. How do you file tax on your foreign earned income (especially since you have never earned in USA before) for the year you activated your Green Card/I 551.

Any tips on filing the foreign income?

Which website can I use?

And what proof can i get that I have filed my tax? (especially as evidence of making USA as my soon to be home country)?

Thank you.

Hi all.

A question here. How do you file tax on your foreign earned income (especially since you have never earned in USA before) for the year you activated your Green Card/I 551.

Any tips on filing the foreign income?

Which website can I use?

And what proof can i get that I have filed my tax? (especially as evidence of making USA as my soon to be home country)?

Thank you.

Hi Abumiqdad,

I'm not an expert on this but you can check out the link below to clarify basics questions and I would also recommend you get in touch with an accountant for further assistance, since this is a very important process to follow and you don't want to make mistakes.

IRS Link: https://www.irs.gov/uac/interactive-tax-assistant-ita-1

Best of luck to you and congrats on the DV lottery selection. I'm still giving it a try and see if luck is on my side.

Thank you. Will have a read on the link. Some friends say they used TurboTax to declare 2555 income, but have not explored that yet. I cant even skip the requirement to select US state as my location within Turbo Tax. Might have to explore more.

Thanks for the wish, just so you know, i have participated in DV lottery since 2007, every year without fail, and only in 2015 i realized i got selected (not sure of the result in every other year because i think there are years where i forgot to check the result).

Hi Abumiqdad,

I'm not an expert on this but you can check out the link below to clarify basics questions and I would also recommend you get in touch with an accountant for further assistance, since this is a very important process to follow and you don't want to make mistakes.

IRS Link: https://www.irs.gov/uac/interactive-tax-assistant-ita-1

Best of luck to you and congrats on the DV lottery selection. I'm still giving it a try and see if luck is on my side.

Thank you. Will have a read on the link. Some friends say they used TurboTax to declare 2555 income, but have not explored that yet. I cant even skip the requirement to select US state as my location within Turbo Tax. Might have to explore more.

Thanks for the wish, just so you know, i have participated in DV lottery since 2007, every year without fail, and only in 2015 i realized i got selected (not sure of the result in every other year because i think there are years where i forgot to check the result).

No problem and yes several people use turbo tax but since you are new on this is better to go on the safe side with an accountant. The DV Lottery only offers 1% of chance to be selected in a total of 19 Million applicants, some have luck and get selected on the first try. I hope I can get some luck and obtain this great opportunity to relocate to the U.S.

Take care and best of luck