• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

December Bulletin Released

FSW2015

For January, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2015 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

AFRICA 21,000 Except:
Egypt: 9,000
Ethiopia: 12,000
ASIA 3,250
EUROPE 16,000
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 3
OCEANIA 700
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 825

http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...tin/2015/visa-bulletin-for-december-2014.html

This tiny jump for Asia is getting me worried :(
Hey FSW2015, we are in the same CN range, my CN is also AS10***.

I am guessing KCC is playing catch up with the folks that have been current, but limited by the interview capacity at the 4 post serving Nepal and Iran mostly.

At this point, I wouldn't worry too much. Assuming the density and success rate about the same as last year, we should benefit from the visas allocated for Nigeria in 2014.

Britsimon, when do you think our number will go current?

Thanks for the blog Britsimon, makes perfect sense.
I was going to ask the same question as SusieQQQ; can't they limit Nepal from now like they do for Egypt and Ethiopia?

Why would they allow nepal to limit Asia rather than imposing a separate cutoff for it though? They've done with other countries before so why not this?

I wish they would. I was assuming they would do that for several months last year before they finally did. I just think they are slow to react to things and work on "what has worked before" type thinking. However, that leaves them unable to apply a sensible decision to allow the rest of Asia to move faster than Nepal and Iran. The process seems to unfairly give preference to Nepal at the expense of the resot of Asia...

Hope that the big jump for EU means that KCC is processing faster the papers sent in July/August for folks current since Nov/Dec.

I gonna take a wild guess and I don't follow the AF as closely, so here it goes:

It all comes down to how predictable the rate of issue/AP/denial is.

You will notice Egypt and Ethiopia (and Nigeria) have a special cut off right form the 1st VB vs Nepal and Iran usually get their special cut off more than half way through the year, if not later.

For Nepal, it's one of the highest success rate for country of eligibility. I would think the special cut off will kick in when KCC sees they are approaching 3500 visas issued (7% limit per INA). It seems KCC is trying to fill the Asia quota with bigger parts first without considering being "fair" to the rest of Asia. After all, they are not required by law to be "fair".

Besides, the capacity concerning Nepal cases most affect 1 post, rather than 3 for Iran. I am incline to think they treat that post as a special case.

For Iran, it's a completely different game. Most of the Iran cases got automatic AP based on the perceived risk and background check involved. By default, if they see most of the cases cannot clear AP in time, no special cut off is required as they are not going to hit the 3500 visa limit long before the year ends.Due to the nature of these background check and investigation (e.g. SSBI- single scope background investigation), the clearing time is highly unpredictable.

So putting on special cut off late in the year for both Nepal and Iran ensures their cases got "spread out" through out the year. By spread out, I mean that's including clearing the huge amount of AP especially towards the last 2 months. The 4 posts are busy without doing many interviews for the last 2 months (i.e.CO have tasks to do to clear AP and their time are used up despite no interviews are performed)

As for Egypt and Ethiopia, I suspect most of their AP cases are perceived document fraud related. These AP cases are likely cleared in a more predictable time frame and probably a predictable rate. Therefore a special cut off can be calculated right from start which ensures a "spread out" through out the year.

What do you guys think?

I am glad that Macau is under Europe instead of under Asia.
I have seen a question before regarding why Macau is considered EU instead of AS.

Another guess from me is that Macau, being a former Portugal colony, people are given the right of residence/citizenship of Portugal, hence the EU classification.

Hong Kong, was a British colony. However, people are given British National (Overseas) passport which does NOT include residence/citizenship of UK. Hence it's considered part of AS.

I gonna take a wild guess and I don't follow the AF as closely, so here it goes:

You will notice Egypt and Ethiopia (and Nigeria) have a special cut off right form the 1st VB vs Nepal and Iran usually get their special cut off more than half way through the year, if not later.

For Nepal, it's one of the highest success rate for country of eligibility. I would think the special cut off will kick in when KCC sees they are approaching 3500 visas issued (7% limit per INA). It seems KCC is trying to fill the Asia quota with bigger parts first without considering being "fair" to the rest of Asia. After all, they are not required by law to be "fair".

Besides, the capacity concerning Nepal cases most affect 1 post, rather than 3 for Iran. I am incline to think they treat that post as a special case.

For Iran, it's a completely different game. Most of the Iran cases got automatic AP based on the perceived risk and background check involved. By default, if they see most of the cases cannot clear AP in time, no special cut off is required as they are not going to hit the 3500 visa limit long before the year ends.Due to the nature of these background check and investigation (e.g. SSBI- single scope background investigation), the clearing time is highly unpredictable.

So putting on special cut off late in the year for both Nepal and Iran ensures their cases got "spread out" through out the year. By spread out, I mean that's including clearing the huge amount of AP especially towards the last 2 months. The 4 posts are busy without doing many interviews for the last 2 months (i.e.CO have tasks to do to clear AP and their time are used up despite no interviews are performed)

As for Egypt and Ethiopia, I suspect most of their AP cases are perceived document fraud related. These AP cases are likely cleared in a more predictable time frame and probably a predictable rate. Therefore a special cut off can be calculated right from start which ensures a "spread out" through out the year.

What do you guys think?

Yeah I get all those points - and don't doubt it is correct - but I think it is daft anyway! Why have embassies around Asia with unused capacity now and then rushing to get the cases through at the end. Nepal was cut off early and probably will be again - so Nepal is busy while the rest of Asia is quite and will be quiet while the rest of Asia is busy. I'm not saying a Nepal case at 8000 is any less deserving than a ROA case at 8000 - I just think it is bad organization.

Incidentally, Iran was odd last year. In DV2013 Iran maxed out it's 7%. They won't have done that in DV2014 as so many cases were left on AP. It seemed to me that they were preferring ROA cases at that stage of the game rather than Iranian cases in AP or Nepal cases which were cutoff early.

Yeah I get all those points - and don't doubt it is correct - but I think it is daft anyway! Why have embassies around Asia with unused capacity now and then rushing to get the cases through at the end. Nepal was cut off early and probably will be again - so Nepal is busy while the rest of Asia is quite and will be quiet while the rest of Asia is busy. I'm not saying a Nepal case at 8000 is any less deserving than a ROA case at 8000 - I just think it is bad organization.

Incidentally, Iran was odd last year. In DV2013 Iran maxed out it's 7%. They won't have done that in DV2014 as so many cases were left on AP. It seemed to me that they were preferring ROA cases at that stage of the game rather than Iranian cases in AP or Nepal cases which were cutoff early.
Really appreciate your input Britsimon, I am a big fan of your post and blog (Yes, I read every single one of your blog.....no joke)

I must admit I agree with your points about Nepal and Iran when it comes to DV cases. One huge factor we must consider is these posts do a lot more than DV cases, so the true capacity are more likely involving other visa interviews. This extends to non-immigrant visa as well since the post have a physical/security limit to accommodate the number of people at a time. So the overall capacity may not quite resemble the DV capacity.(e.g. The post at Tokyo and Naha would see a lot of IR/IC or K visa due to the amount of service members stationed there)

It makes perfect sense when you mentioned they prefer ROA towards the end rather than Iran. If I am planning for DoS, I would rather be certain to approve/deny a case towards the end than wait and see if the AP cases will be cleared. Especially when they are AP for SSBI which probably requires the assistance of other agencies. At the end of the day, I can tell higher up that I have gotten as close to the target quota as possible without sweating/bugging other agencies.

Now, I really hope KCC (when I say KCC, I meant the visa office under consular affair since they are the stat guys who predicts visa number) will notice about your point regarding ROA. With a meduim-high number of AS10xxx, I can really use an interview in July or earlier...:rolleyes:

I have seen a question before regarding why Macau is considered EU instead of AS.

Another guess from me is that Macau, being a former Portugal colony, people are given the right of residence/citizenship of Portugal, hence the EU classification.

Hong Kong, was a British colony. However, people are given British National (Overseas) passport which does NOT include residence/citizenship of UK. Hence it's considered part of AS.
This makes sense. I and my whole family are both Portuguese/Chinese(Macau) citizens even though I have never stepped on European Soil. Roughly 25% of the population in Macau are Portuguese passport holders.

Well, if I have no luck on the DV I might move to Europe instead. God knows...

What do you guys think?

I always understood the AF cutoffs were because of the high number of selectees from these countries, to prevent a nepal type scenario happening.
And I'm not sure if i misunderstand your comments about Iran, but the year before last they did hit the country limit before year end. Not sure about previous years as I wasn't following.
And I would also not really agree with your point about not caring about being "fair" to the rest of Asia considering the entire motivation behind the DV lottery in the first place....

I always understood the AF cutoffs were because of the high number of selectees from these countries, to prevent a nepal type scenario happening.
And I'm not sure if i misunderstand your comments about Iran, but the year before last they did hit the country limit before year end. Not sure about previous years as I wasn't following.
And I would also not really agree with your point about not caring about being "fair" to the rest of Asia considering the entire motivation behind the DV lottery in the first place....

Not a problem, I enjoy a different opinion from you, britsimon and others.
Let me also point out my view is just a wild guess based on what we know (the cut off numbers, beyond that, it's all speculation)

Now, let's take a moment to examine some points:

Predictability of issue rate: I suspect the predictability of Nepal and Iran is not as clear as Egypt and Ethiopia.
As you have mentioned, the special cut off treatment is different between AS and AF countries with high number of entrants and selectees. If they are seen similarly, the special cut off would have been the same.

Like you said, the AF cutoffs were because of high number of selectees. However, let's consider why only Egypt and Ethiopia (and Nigeria in previous year have special cut off) while other countries such as Cameroon, Liberia and DR Congo don't.
Known number of 2015 selectees are as follow:
Egypt 4988
Ethiopia 4988
Cameroon 5000
Liberia 5000
DR Congo 4943
My guess is that the predictability of issue/AP/denial dictates the different treatment. We can further deduce that Egypt and Ethiopia need a special cut off to get the "spread" through out the year while the others are just fine to run their own course.

Ratio: Let's also consider the ratio of selectees: each of these countries with close to 5000 selectees (3500 max winners) are positioned to take up to 15.7% of total AF visa issued approximately . That is, without knowing the density of each country, the 5000 selectees (3500 max winners) can take up to 15.7 of the 20K visa issued to AF (AF issued is 22364 for 2014, another credit to Rafikbo76 and Britsimon for running the extract).

Density: That's another part we don't know for sure, we can see AF number and assume the bulk of these selectees will make up the bulk of local post interviews (each national going to be interviews at each respective post).With that said, we can take another guess that Egypt and Ethiopia have a much higher density up to and beyond the final cut off, hence the special cut off.

Conclusion for AF: Let me say it again, my guess is just what it is, a wild guess based on what I see. A mere reversed engineered thought about is known as fact. The guess itself is not fact, just a guess.
With everything being equal (predictability, ratio and density), all 5 countries would have special cut off, but only 2 does. It leads me to believe the other 3 countries are different in 1 or more (any combination of the 3) reasons I have mentioned. I am also glad to accept other factors such as britsimon's what have worked in previous years.

For Asia: Let's consider the 3 factors that came to my mind.
Predictability of issue rate: Back to SusieQQQ's point about Iran regarding them hitting the limit in year 2013 and before. My guess to that is the AP process has changed for them. Considering what's been going on in that part of the world in DoS's view, I can speculate the AP clearing rate are lower as they are now more time consuming. Therefore a special cut off is not required since the 3 posts are more than capable seeing all the selectees under normal cut off without hitting the visa limit due to AP not cleared.

Ratio: Nepal and Iran are the countries with the higher number of selectees.
Nepal 4991
Iran 4992
Cambodia 2079
Both countries are positioned to take 43.02% of visas (3500 max / 8136 visa issued in 2014). This percentage is far more than 15.7% for the big AF countries.Following this logic, one would think they should have special cut off "right off the bet" to be "fair". This leads me to believe there must be some other factors (such as predictability and density) in play for the special cut off to come on very late in the year.

Density: Nepal and Iran make up 40+% each (80% total) of the initial 10000 CN. I am guessing this is the main reason of the late special cut off.
In DoS's view (again my guess only), it is fair to give more visa to Nepal and Iran since more people got randomly selected due to the amount of applications received from them.
It means the "fair" is applied in selection, and not necessarily the rank order after selection. I haven't been able to find any law or regulation to apply the randomness or fairness to each counties other than the 3500(7%) per countries limit.

Conclusion for AS: You should know by now :p, it's only a guess. The late special cut off for AS has very different reason than AF. In DoS's view, putting special cut off for Nepal and Iran will give them the disadvantage. The "fair" portion of the lottery happens primarily in selection, and another safety catch for 3500 visa limit. Obviously, this is compounded by Nepal being the highest country with success rate at 90+%.

Am not debating whether this practice is fair or not, just pointing out the possibility which may be (part of) the reasoning of DoS. With a mid-high CN as AS10xxx, a special cut off would be favorable to me :rolleyes: (I am from rest of Asia, not Nepal or Iran).

My intention to write here is to learn from all of you and hopefully we all learn from each other in the process. Special shout out to KingKong and Macanese who reached out to me, really appreciate it :).
I hope this will clear up some of the misunderstanding/question from SusieQQQ and others. I always welcome another school of thought from anyone.

Thank you Simon, I hope the backlog will prompt KCC to impose the special cutoff for Nepal earlier (not very optimistic though)

Hey FSW2015, we are in the same CN range, my CN is also AS10***.

I am guessing KCC is playing catch up with the folks that have been current, but limited by the interview capacity at the 4 post serving Nepal and Iran mostly.

At this point, I wouldn't worry too much. Assuming the density and success rate about the same as last year, we should benefit from the visas allocated for Nigeria in 2014.

Britsimon, when do you think our number will go current?

I hope we'll get through this as smoothly as possible, still hoping for a July/August interview..