• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Date of birth challenge

Ab chief

hello.
I'm a DV 2017 selectee and new to the whole process. I understand I have to submit as part of my documents my high school certificate, however the date of birth on the certificate (15/08/1988) differs from the date of birth (07/08/1988) I entered in error during the application in 0ct 2015. I can get a new passport to make up for the error but for my high school certificate It can't be edited. What can I do. I really need your help.
thank you.

Getting new documents to "make up for the error" is a very bad idea. You are better off to make sure the date is accurate in the DS260, and then explain the mistake at the interview. In most embassies you would have a high chance of being "forgiven" for this mistake IF this is the only mistake on an otherwise good case. That risk is increased at certain embassies such as Ghana because they are commonly seeing people who thought getting new documents to "make up for the error" was a good idea.

I'm having difficulty understanding a bureaucratic system where the date of birth can be changed on a passport but not on a high school certificate?! Especially to what sounds like a false date - From the original post I gather that the date of birth on the entry was incorrect, and wondering how this error happened?

I believe it's pretty simple. The fraud is getting too much. So put yourself in the shoes of a CO. Once your passport or birth certificate is newer than May of the year you were selected and there's inconsistency in DOB on your other certificates... bam it's a disqualification. Because then it's likely you acquired new documentation to 'falsely match' your wrong entry.
So @Ab chief just follow advise and enter the right information in your ds260